Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Universities that hire foreigners

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Universities that hire foreigners Reply with quote

So the Master Index has a nice little list of Turkish Universities, but I know for a fact that at least some of these generally don't generally hire foreigners to teach English. Additionally, many of those that do hire such foreigners can and do get teachers with MAs.

Despite this I've heard repeatedly that some universities in Ankara and points east will supposedly hire TEFLers with a year experience, TESOL cert, and BA. However I've yet to come across any of these legendary places; though admittedly I haven't cold-called every university out there (most of them have tedious HR forms hidden deep in the bowels of the websites), and those that I have I may have gotten at the wrong time.

So I'm wondering if anybody knows of specific universities that would hire me, and can point me to them? Location isn't an issue (apart from I'd prefer not to be in Istanbul), but teaching adults is.

Thanks and regards,
~Q
billy orr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meet them face to face. Have lunch with them if possible, or at least a cup of tea. If they like you they will hire you.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billy orr wrote:
Meet them face to face. Have lunch with them if possible, or at least a cup of tea. If they like you they will hire you.

Billy, what do you advise a fellow who has an M.A. in TESOL and will have two years of teaching at a Korean university? I can also speak decent survival Turkish. I decided to learn some Turkish because my maternal grandmother was Turkish. I want to know how I could go about getting a job in Turkey teaching at a uni. I'm an American citizen. It's either I stay in Korea for a third year at the uni or another one or go to Turkey, which is my preference.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnRambo wrote:
billy orr wrote:

Billy, what do you advise a fellow who has an M.A. in TESOL and will have two years of teaching at a Korean university? I can also speak decent survival Turkish. I decided to learn some Turkish because my maternal grandmother was Turkish. I want to know how I could go about getting a job in Turkey teaching at a uni. I'm an American citizen. It's either I stay in Korea for a third year at the uni or another one or go to Turkey, which is my preference.

JR, even I can answer that.
If you want a job that pays well, Zirve Uni prep school is hiring, and they'll definitely hire you from abroad. But see the thread on possible issues with Zirve. And frankly, while I'd work at Zirve if they offered me a job, you can almost certainly do better (though you're almost certain to get a job there and it'll pay well).

If you want a proper uni job, check out the thread on the best unis in Istanbul, and try applying to some of the ones in Ankara, particularly the private ones and METU/ODTU (which is universally regarded as the best university in Turkey�basically the Turkish MIT and Oxford rolled together�and might actually hire you, though I've got roughly the same chance as I do of have being appointed professor of Turkish at Harvard).

Actually, with an MA TESOL and uni-level teaching experience, you can apply to any public uni and have a shot at a lot of them, something not true of me. I know some of the public unis in Izmir (Dokuz Eyl�l, for example) don't generally hire foreigners, but you might try there too. Yasar and IEU (which are admittedly both private) definitely do hire foreigners, and though they never got back to me, if they're hiring they might get back to you (Yasar has a mixed rep, IEU a good one).

Regards,
~Q
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem in Turkey is EFL native English speaking teachers are very costly to employ and there is an army of Turkish non native speaking English teachers ready to employ with much lower wages. Even if you have an MA or PHD in TESOL as a native English speaker you will unfortunately be facing stiff and quiite fierce competion from local Turks for the few univeraity jobs available. Good luck! Smile
sixthchild

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, where did someone get the idea that Yasar has a mixed rep and İEU has a good one, says who? Everyone I ever met that worked at the last place would have a conflicting viewpoint!
BTW, they are not recruiting this year!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: