Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Independently getting a work visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadGoldfish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Independently getting a work visa Reply with quote

Right, coming to the end of my first tour and I don't want to be tied to a school.

Plus I reckon I'm only going to stay for another 6 months or so and I don't want to sign up for another 12 months then leave halfway through.

So questions are:

- How can I organise my own visa?
- How much should it cost?

Cheers!
coledavis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visas relating to employment are tied to your employer, i.e. a school or university.

You could apply for a business visa, but this allows only 90 days within any 180 (i.e. maximum of three months if you want to stay in the country for an extended period). Also, this visa is not designed to help English teachers continue with their privates!

There may be some other options, but I don't think they'll be legal.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal, illegal. All blurred to grey. Probably better off checking out Redtape or Expat for info on how to buy a visa spot from a Russian company. Can be costly though, so not sure if it would be worth the effort for just six months.
Nexus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are agencies that offer that service - I spoke to one or two a while ago. The agency registers a company and applies for a quota of work permits for its staff, which they then sell on. However, as well as buying the visa from them initially, there is also a requirement to pay monthly tax (based on the fictional position you occupy in the ghost company).

Cant remember the original visa price (approx. several hundred dollars) plus about two hundred dollars tax a month.

You'd have to balance the costs of that against your projected income from privates to see if it pays more than working for a school and getting them to provide the visa.

You can contact agencies that advertise in the Moscow Times or on the expat websites
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: That could be one option...... Reply with quote

However,I know someone who did this last year and ended up leaving with very little savings after so much effort so make sure you do your sums properly!Privates are privates and you are always at risk if you rely only on this source of income.
MadGoldfish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, definitely given me a lot to think over.

I'll do my sums and work out the best option.
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

impossible - but if you find out how let me know!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: