Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Bachelors- job in Bahrain possible?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sydney2002

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: No Bachelors- job in Bahrain possible? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Before you start laying into me for the subject line, I did word it that way to get a response. I'm posting on behalf of a friend. I've posted on Dave's for her numerous times. Why she doesn't just create her own account is beyond me. Anyway, here is the situation.

This woman has been offered a job (through a recruiter in South Africa) that is supposedly going to be teaching Business Studies at an Int'l all girls school in Bahrain. According to her (per the recruiter again), they are offering a very nice package and are promising to meet all of her demands. And they want her there by the end of August.

First of all, she does NOT have a degree. I met her in Asia while I was teaching there. She had a shady recruiter from her country who helped her to get a job. The other two jobs she had in Asia afterward, she was terminated from. And I suspect, as does she, that she was blacklisted from that country.

To her credit, she is hard worker. But I'm afraid that whoever this recruiter is in her country is just scamming her. Either that, or this international school she is supposedly being offered a job in is a horrible place.

Or... I could be completely wrong about all of this and perhaps she HAS found a great job in Bahrain that will accept her experience and ignore the fact that she has no degree.

Is this possible? I'm really terrified for her. I hear all sorts of stories about people being trafficked in these countries and unfortunately, her nationality and color, as well as the fact that she has been desperate to land a job abroad for several years make her a prime target for that kind of thing in my mind.

Has anyone heard of an Int'l school for girls in Bahrain which hires teachers with no undergraduate degree?

Last edited by Sydney2002 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
mashkif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: No Bachelors- job in Bahrain possible? Reply with quote

Sydney2002 wrote:
Has anyone heard of an Int'l school for girls in Bahrain which hires teachers with no undergraduate degree?

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation A big, resounding NO on both counts. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

P.M. me if you (or she) need further information or guidance.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Bahrain one of the countries where you need a BA in order to get the work visa in education? That is what would worry me...

VS
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Is Bahrain one of the countries where you need a BA in order to get the work visa in education? That is what would worry me...
VS

Ironically, I am pretty sure it is not a pre-requisite to obtain the visa - Bahrain requires very little in the way of credential/background checks compared to the other Gulf states.

That said, individual employers always require a bachelor's degree and experience as an absolute minimum. I have never heard of a single instance of a 'teacher' working without one - even on a part-time basis (which is not to say that it couldn't happen). Additionally, there are hundreds of unemployed Bahrainis (mostly women) with education degrees in various subjects. Unless the current political situation in the country is affecting overseas recruitment to the point where it is almost impossible to attract anyone, I cannot believe that any institution would find it necessary to employ a foreigner with no academic credentials.

I would be highly suspicious of this 'job offer' and the institution making it.
Noelle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... here is the latest...

The school is called Shaika Hessa (located in Riffka, not sure of spelling). From what I've heard, they are a good school. As I said, the teacher was hired to teach Business Studies, which she does have experience teaching in her country. And I think she is a good teacher in this regard.

I just know that she has no B.A. But if this is not required to obtain a residence visa in Bahrain, then problem solved! Hopefully.

I guess only time will tell... In any case, I'm kind of through butting in with this. I was afraid she was being scammed originally, but even if that is still the case, I think I now have to butt out. Oh well...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noelle... you're a good friend. You did your best to help her out and now it is up to her. Hopefully things will work out.

VS
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noelle wrote:
Well... here is the latest...

The school is called Shaika Hessa (located in Riffka, not sure of spelling). From what I've heard, they are a good school. As I said, the teacher was hired to teach Business Studies, which she does have experience teaching in her country. And I think she is a good teacher in this regard.

I just know that she has no B.A. But if this is not required to obtain a residence visa in Bahrain, then problem solved! Hopefully.

I guess only time will tell... In any case, I'm kind of through butting in with this. I was afraid she was being scammed originally, but even if that is still the case, I think I now have to butt out. Oh well...

Having glanced at the website of this school, and considering its location and the likely 'pedigree' of at least some of its student body, I find it very difficult to believe that they would employ anyone without a degree (IGCSE, IBDP and accreditation from the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools).

Knowing the rigour with which many locally-run HR departments scrutinize candidates' CVs (ahem), it is possible that it may have escaped their notice that your friend does not have a degree. She might like to clarify the situation with them before travelling to Bahrain to take up the position. This would pre-empt any nasty surprises when she arrives. On the other hand, if she does arrive to find that it was an oversight, they may well let her stay on anyway, as I imagine that finding an alternative at short notice when the academic year has already begun would not be particularly easy.
vashdown2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what happened?

Can you share?
Noelle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got no idea what's going on with this woman now. She's in Bahrain. But I don't know if she's settling- sorting things out or what. Perhaps all of my worries were useless and this was meant to be after all.

I just really don't know...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: