Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Double dipping HCT Abu Dhabi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gulezar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Double dipping HCT Abu Dhabi Reply with quote

If a woman works at HCT Abu Dhabi, and her spouse works in Abu Dhabi, which schools would not allow for double dipping on the housing allowance ... Zayed, PI, ECAE, Adveti, others? Which schools would give both spouses a housing allowance?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past they have been very effective in weeding out anyone who attempts to double dip. The only people that I know who got away with it were those where the husband works for an international company and was able to get an allowance deposited with his salary abroad rather than getting provided housing. Then the wife had a full benefit package from one of the universities.

If both are in education? I'd say not a chance. They aren't stupid and they love to deny any benefit they can get away with...

VS
helenl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they will find out. As VS said, there have been a cases where not only have they been caught, but they've clawed back every dirham and fil possible.

Doesn't do much for your performance appraisal either as your contract specifically states you are NOT allowed to double dip.
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of it if both the husband and wife work in the same emirate for universities.

I have heard of it when the husband works in one emirate and the wife works in another emirate if they are over 100 KM apart.
helenl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Eisenhorn - the only case I ever knew was one teacher was in Abu Dhabi and the other in Fujairah. They got accomodation, but not double tickets or other allowances.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helenl wrote:
True Eisenhorn - the only case I ever knew was one teacher was in Abu Dhabi and the other in Fujairah. They got accomodation, but not double tickets or other allowances.

And that seems fair enough... why should anyone expect differently?

VS
helenl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the argument with people who worked at separate organizations (one education and the other in the private sector, not education) and they were appalled that HCT would not provide full benes (housing, tickets, etc.) that were also covered by the spouse's employer. The fact that they were in the same city didn't seem to be a factor in their reasoning process - after all both employers could afford it.

I've also (as Devil's advocate Wink ) had the discussion with an HCT colleague that he was in fact being compensated more than I because he was married and had children - he gets a higher housing allowance, tickets for his family (up to the 3 dependent limit) education allowances etc. While I did the same job as him and didn't get the extras.

I know that this is done here because otherwise it would be difficult to attract qualified applicants who have families.

But in North America, we would be paid the same no matter if he had a family to support or not. It was an interesting discussion that resolved absolutely nothing. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: