Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teachaway Vocational Training Institutes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PierogiMonster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Teachaway Vocational Training Institutes Reply with quote

Hi all

I've got a Skype interview coming up with Teachaway, teaching at ''vocational training institutes': http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=26282

I've read a lot here and it seems teachaway themselves have a good reputation. But can anyone tell me about the institutions and students I might be working for/with?

Also, I don't have a driving licence. Is life do-able without a car?

Thanks.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search on here "vocational training institutes" - choose "search all terms" and you will get a few threads. I suspect that this is the same organization. It seems that they slashed pay and benefits... and have split shifts. If they have split shifts, a car will be absolutely crucial or you will go broke from and/or die of heat stroke waiting for taxis.

It appears from the ad that Teachaway is only recruiting for this job and the employer - whoever they are - is who the holds the contract.

VS
PierogiMonster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, VS. I searched and nothing comes up apart from one thread re. IAT. I don't know if this is the org. teachaway are recruitng for or not. I'll soon see as my interview's tonight.

More later.
now in ksa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend had a job offer from IAT as an ICT instructor now he has been asked for an up front fee - he asked for a breakdown of the costs, so far no response, The thing that has him worried is the fact they told him the fee increases if he delays payment. Anyone any further news?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now in ksa wrote:
My friend had a job offer from IAT as an ICT instructor now he has been asked for an up front fee - he asked for a breakdown of the costs, so far no response, The thing that has him worried is the fact they told him the fee increases if he delays payment. Anyone any further news?

Huh? A fee for what? Who is telling him to pay up? IAT? Some 3rd party contracting company?
helenl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far as I know, IAT has never requested a "fee" - sounds like a scam.
republocrat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: IAT Scam Reply with quote

Must be a scam, as no worthy employer in the world asks its future employees for a fee. In the Gulf, it certainly screams 'SCAM', so this must be avoided.

What was the email address? Is it genuine?
PierogiMonster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven�t been asked to pay anything - so far. I had my initial Teachaway phone interview and all went well. The position is for IAT, at one of their three sites in the Abu Dhabi region. I�ve been passed to the next stage. I�ll let you all know if anything fishy happens!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now in ksa wrote:

As everyone has said this is surely a scammer. Is this fee to be sent by money order to some PO Box? Our friendly Nigerian scammers are busy fellows, but apparently they manage to sucker enough people to support their habits.

VS
(Teachaway is legitimate Pierogi...)
issi14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: teachaway Reply with quote

the position is for Al Rowdah. They are asking people to either fly to London or Chicago. Hoping they will allow Skype interview instead as it is too far and expensive.
now in ksa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
now in ksa wrote:

As everyone has said this is surely a scammer. Is this fee to be sent by money order to some PO Box? Our friendly Nigerian scammers are busy fellows, but apparently they manage to sucker enough people to support their habits.

VS
(Teachaway is legitimate Pierogi...)

He is contacting IAT directly to see if they have any record of him. I will try and find the name of the recruiter, does seem a bit fishy. The add was posted on TES.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scammers advertise all over the various internet jobs boards. They have become more creative over the years.

See the STICKY at the top of this page to follow their various adjustments over time.

VS
PierogiMonster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the not having a driving licence and not knowing which of the three sites I'd be at that got me in the end. I'm hightailing it to Cairo instead. Why not join me at the 'New boy in Cairo' Egypt thread?

Thanks for the advice, all - VS especially, as always.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: