Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to teach in Alexandria, Egypt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yazzy86

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Looking to teach in Alexandria, Egypt Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am looking to apply for a teaching position in Alexandria. I am certified to teach grades 1-6 and have my masters in elementary education and special education grades 1-6. I also have 5 years if teaching experience. My question is is it too late to being applying now? When do schools usually begin hiring? I am having a really hard time searching for schools in Alex. Some websites are horrible maintained, while other don't even have the correct e-mail address.

Anyone know names of schools I can apply to with the correct email information?

I am trying to apply to Schutz school and the e-mail isn't going through. Does anyone have the contact information for that school?

Thank you sooo much for your help!
justcolleen

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan Walker is the Head of School at Schutz.

Here is his email address:

nwalkerINSERTATSYMBOLschutzschoolDOTorgDOTeg

Schutz conducts hiring fairs throughout the year. When you email Mr. Walker, ask about those.

Colleen
yazzy86

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi justcollen,

Thank you for your reply. I sent an e-mail to that address, and it keeps bouncing back. Do you know how long it usually takes for schools to reply?

Any other school e-mails you can recommend for me to send my application to? Thanks a bunch!
justcolleen

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Head of School has changed? That used to be a good email address and I don't know why you aren't able to get through.

You can use this search page for other staff to contact:

http://www.schutzschool.org.eg/staff_directory.cfm
yazzy86

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried it again! Now it worked. I received an e-mail saying all short listed applicants would receive an e-mail back within 14 days. Although, I have a feeling it might take a little longer!

Any other recommendations on other schools I could apply to?

Thank you again, you are very helpful!
yazzy86

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about egyptian english language school? Any word on that school?
justcolleen

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yazzy86 wrote:
How about egyptian english language school? Any word on that school?

Will you need a work permit? If so, the only school in Alexandria that is willing/able to provide one is Schutz. The rest would prefer to have you work illegally and with your credentials that's not necessary.
yazzy86

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I know if I would need a work permit? Don't we all need one to even work and get paid correctly? My father is Egyptian, so I already have dual citizenship for America and Egypt. Though, I won't be providing that little detail. I know how things work in Egypt.

Only one school in all of Alex that provides a work permit! That is insane! Sad

Are you in Egypt now? How are things in Alex? Still hectic at times?

I also plan on looking into private tutoring. I hear the hourly wage is 100le. Is that correct?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yazzy86 wrote:

Welcome to Egypt... This is a problem that has become much more serious since they decided that expats couldn't stay forever renewing a tourist visa. Legally an expat has always had to have a work visa, but it is only in the last couple years that it has been enforced.

If you enter on your American passport and get expat pay, you must have a work visa. If you use your Egyptian passport/nationality, you probably don't need a work visa (justcolleen?), but expect your salary to drop precipitously to local pay. Crying or Very sad

VS
justcolleen

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yazzy86 wrote:
How do I know if I would need a work permit? Don't we all need one to even work and get paid correctly? My father is Egyptian, so I already have dual citizenship for America and Egypt. Though, I won't be providing that little detail. I know how things work in Egypt.

If you have Egyptian citizenship, you won't need a work permit. HOWEVER, by not needing a work permit, you will disclose that you have Egyptian citizenship. You may not overtly provide that information, but the school is going to figure it out anyway.

Whatever you do, don't walk into your interview yapping in Arabic. I've seen teachers with the same nationality and higher level credentials/experience do that and then they can't figure out why they were offered a 900 LE/month salary.

yazzy86 wrote:

It's probably the only one that registers its Egyptian employees with the government, too.

Private schools in Egypt can be on the shady side.

yazzy86 wrote:
Are you in Egypt now? How are things in Alex? Still hectic at times?

No. I left a month ago, right after the government decided to give the public the ability to make citizens arrests. It wouldn't take much for some thickie to decide to make a name for themself by turning in that "spy posing as a teacher."

Besides, I've seen enough violence for a lifetime. The lack of police protection is unnerving.

yazzy86 wrote:
I also plan on looking into private tutoring. I hear the hourly wage is 100le. Is that correct?

150 LE, two hour minimum.

But, that Egyptian citizenship is going to bite you there, too.
greggie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try Kaumeya Language School, KLS. I was there a few years ago and am the same as you, half British/half Egyptian. Was my first experience of living and working in Egypt. But, as i didnt have my ID Card my contract was for a British member of staff. The best is that the school is or was run by the Abdul Nasser family (expresident) so got my work visa sitting in the teachers room in a matter of minutes. Corruption is rife.
yazzy86

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omg!

My arabic isn't that great anyway, so I won't be yapping in arabic to anyone. I won't disclose that type of information, and unless I do I don't believe anyone will find out.

What do you mean by citizen arrest? Ugh I've been hearing that things have gotten very bad there, I am beginning to have second thoughts.

I applied to a bunch of schools, but everyone seems to be hiring teachers like two weeks before school starts! They obviously don't run like they do in NY!

Thank you for the name of that school, I will try that too.

There is NO WAY I am accepting any shady offer especially with my credentials.

You guys are great. Think you for the info.
justcolleen

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no point in talking about the way it was a few years ago because that is far different than post-revolution Egypt. For example, work permits are no longer done in individual governates. They are all centrally processed in Cairo.

Part of that processing means assuring the new employment law is applied, meaning if there's a qualified Egyptian who could do the job, the work permit application is denied.

Even if a work permit is issued, the employer has six months to train an Egyptian to do the job the foreigner is doing. Six months.

A citizens arrest means exactly what it says - anyone can arrest anyone for committing a crime (real or perceived) and haul them down to the police station for investigation/prosecution. You may be willing to try your luck with that, but I wasn't, particularly with the government's "anti-spy" television commercial campaign.
yazzy86

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my!

I haven't been to Egypt since the revolution so I'm sure things have changed A lot, but this is ridiculous!

Any random person arresting people? How could that make any sense! I think I may just go visit in the summer, see how it is, and decide from there.

Do you recommend I walk into the schools I am interested in, and trying to apply directly while I'm there. Obviously not yapping in any language other then English.

I plan on going in July, is that a good time to try to attempt my school search?

Thank you again!
justcolleen

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense because there is no other policing. The police left the streets during the revolution (they were being hunted down and slaughtered). They returned for a while, to direct traffic (in groups). Then, they decided they weren't getting the respect they deserved, and went on strike. There is nobody to do the job, so the government gave it to the general population to do.

Ramadan will be most of July and the first week of August. Schools typically have summer school sessions with a shorter day during Ramadan, if they're open at all. Regardless, it's better to walk in than to rely on the internet (in Egypt, the internet is for Facebook and Twitter ... seriously).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: