Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where can I study Japanese in / near Kirishima, Kagoshima?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timothypfox

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Where can I study Japanese in / near Kirishima, Kagoshima? Reply with quote

Hello! I've worked in Japan before, and am now in my 2nd year living in Kirishima, Kagoshima.

I'm on the look out for a good way to study Japanese with a teacher, but I am a little stuck because of my schedule and class availability.

I found these 2 schools, geared more for university entrance and are very expensive even for their foreign resident program:

KAMIMURA GAKUEN VOCATIONAL COLLAGE
JAPANESE LANGUAGE SCHOOL (KLS)

I have also look at local colleges in my area, and interntional centers to little avail. The Kagoshima City International Exchange Association (KCIEA) may be the best I can find. But, the teachers are volunteers - and may expect language exchange which I'm not interested in....

Any thoughts? Should I just give the KCIEA a whirl?
timothypfox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I have a bit more information and maybe now a question that people can answer. The Kirishima International Exchange Association appears to be the local JET - CIR organization. My co-worker suspects that if I went for Japanese lessons - it would be the CIR who would teach me, or a volunteer that he/she could find for me.

Any experiences of non-JETs working with a CIR to get Japanese lessons...? So, far I haven't heard back from them...
hivans

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you able to get into Kagoshima city at all? I can give you a little information on the city, but apologies in advance if this is too far away from you.

I think the Yurinkan (有隣館) Institute is the most well-known Japanese school in Kagoshima city, and it has its own web page.

Actually, the way I solved a similar problem was to advertise at Kagoshima University for students prepared to act as a part-time private teacher. There are a number of students who double up teaching things to high school/junior high school kids, so why not foreigners too, I thought. If you contact the university careers center and make it clear you are an individual and not a company, you are allowed to submit a notice to be displayed for an unlimited period on the part-time jobs board there. It took me a while, but I ended up getting a very satisfactory arrangement as a result. I only canvassed Kagoshima University (where there is a bit of a bias towards the sciences in the student population), but I think that Kagoshima International University actually has a course for people who want to become Japanese teachers so that might be a profitable place to advertise too.
If you do decide to go down that route, it may be worth giving some thought to how you want to structure the lessons and what textbook you want to use and establishing that at the outset.

I hope this may be of some use. I am sorry I can�t offer information on anything closer to Kirishima.
nimaime

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm studying now in Fukuoka city. I recently took a trip to Kagoshima and in the big arcade mall there I saw a YMCA that was offering classes.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to clutter up the forum with my minor issues! (I know some other people have far more pressing problems!) But, I just wanted to respond to suggestions offered by hivans and nimaine.

hivans, thanks for the suggestion of study at the Yurinkan Institute. I am a good hour from the city by train (a little more by car because of traffic). An hour by train turns into 1.5 hours because of waiting time. I have to think about whether this distance would work for me.

nimaine, as for the YMCA - that's interesting to learn about. Again, I'm not sure about the distance from Kirishima for me.

Kumon has a correspondance course too I just found out in Japanese.... Don't know if this is worth trying or... not...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: