Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public Schools in Hong Kong vs. Taiwan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Public Schools in Hong Kong vs. Taiwan Reply with quote

I'm currently in Colombia and am completing a teacher certification program from here. All going well, by next fall I'll have received a license to teach Elementary in the states.

I'm looking at options for my next gig after getting the certification. It's also about getting two years classroom experience after certification. I've already taught young children in Korea for two years before coming to Colombia. I know that there are those two public school programs in Hong Kong and in Taiwan. I had a few questions:

1) In which program can I make/save more money?

2) Am I sufficiently qualified ... do I have a reasonable chance of getting in if I apply?

3) Do people typically apply directly to these programs or through a recruiter?

4) Is it possible to apply to these from abroad? Or is it better to be in the states?

5) Other than these programs, are there other good places for me to look at for my next gig? I will also try applying directly to international schools in Latin America.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Public Schools in Hong Kong vs. Taiwan Reply with quote

littlelauren86 wrote:
I'm currently in Colombia and am completing a teacher certification program from here. All going well, by next fall I'll have received a license to teach Elementary in the states.

Which uni are you going through to do that? How are you going to complete your teaching practice?
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Public Schools in Hong Kong vs. Taiwan Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
littlelauren86 wrote:

Which uni are you going through to do that? How are you going to complete your teaching practice?

It's a program through the University of West Florida called TeacherReady. They basically set up a mentor teacher for you and you do your practice at a local international school.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Public Schools in Hong Kong vs. Taiwan Reply with quote

littlelauren86 wrote:
It's a program through the University of West Florida called TeacherReady. They basically set up a mentor teacher for you and you do your practice at a local international school.

And you've easily found international schools that will allow you to practice there?
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Public Schools in Hong Kong vs. Taiwan Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
littlelauren86 wrote:

And you've easily found international schools that will allow you to practice there?

I don't begin for another month, so that hasn't been set up yet. That said, there are quite a few schools here so I don't imagine it being a problem. The mentor teacher does get paid, and the majority of students don't seem to have problems provided that they live in an area where there are international schools.

However, if there's anyone who can answer any of the questions I had in the original post, all help would be appreciated! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: