Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do Saudi contracts deliberately use vague wording?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweaty Ted

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Do Saudi contracts deliberately use vague wording? Reply with quote

Or is it just an innocent result of poor English comprehension? For example, my contract is nearly impossible to decipher:

Monthly salary: 4,080 Riyal
Monthly transport allowance: 500 Riyal
Housing allowance: 17,000 Riyal
Once-off furniture allowance: 8,500 Riyal
Special professional/exceptional allowance: 100% (this is impossible for an outsider to understand)
Other: no

Exact quote, "In addition, there is a monthly allowance of ___350 x 10 ____ riyal for every years relevant experience up to a maximum of 5 years. Please provide proof of experience by date, month and year."

Now, my logical mind would think that that last part would mean that every month I would receive 350 x 10 Riyal x 5 years of experience, which would equal 17,500 Riyal.

I am hearing that I will receive:
4,080 Riyal as a base salary
4,080 Riyal as my 100% special professional allowance (I have learned that I get this as a native speaker and that the teachers from Eastern Europe don't get this at all!)
3,500 Riyal total added on to the already 8,160 Riyal for a total of
11660 Riyal, plus 500 Riyal for monthly transport, which is 12,160 Riyal total per month as my monthly salary?

Should I go if it's that low? I have heard of people with only a B.A. earning at least US$3,500 per month! I have my M.Ed. in TESOL, plus my M.A. in Spanish, and I have been teaching since 1997. This doesn't sound right.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Saudi contracts deliberately use vague wording? Reply with quote

Sweaty Ted wrote:
I am hearing that I will receive:
4,080 Riyal as a base salary
4,080 Riyal as my 100% special professional allowance (I have learned that I get this as a native speaker and that the teachers from Eastern Europe don't get this at all!)
3,500 Riyal total added on to the already 8,160 Riyal for a total of
11660 Riyal, plus 500 Riyal for monthly transport, which is 12,160 Riyal total per month as my monthly salary?

Should I go if it's that low? I have heard of people with only a B.A. earning at least US$3,500 per month! I have my M.Ed. in TESOL, plus my M.A. in Spanish, and I have been teaching since 1997. This doesn't sound right.

Instead of guessing or having us guess too, why not just tell the employer you need to know the exact, final monthly salary? After all, they're the ones signing on the dotted line.
al-Californian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Ted, 17,500 Riyal plus your base salary would be a whole lotta money! So are ya thinkin bout Dubai/UAE now?
Sweaty Ted

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were 17,000 + Riyal per month, I would still be considering it, but my western contact tells me that it is at 12,000 Riyal per month, which is around US$3,000 per month. That is not good enough to go to one of the most restrictive societies on Earth. I have decided that US$4,000 is my absolute minimum to live in KSA.

Details
1. Abha is a very isolated place, unlike Jeddah or Riyadh. Getting around without a car is very hard. Having to buy or lease a car would wipe out a lot of my salary.

2. Plenty of other places will pay you much more than 12,000 Riyal per month.

3. I have a B.A. in English literature, my M.Ed. in TESOL (2001), a second B.A. in Spanish and a second M.A. in Spanish. Sorry to sound arrogant, but 12,000 per month is insulting for someone with qualifications and experience dating back to 1997.

Saudi is a brutally difficult place for a western Christian to adapt to; the sole incentive is the high salary. Without that salary, you are settting yourself up for true misery.
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweaty Ted you are psyching yourself out before you even go. Is Saudi Arabia or any Muslim country different than the West, yes, but it comes down to you as well if you will be able to adjust or not. It isn't always the country's fault, it is also partly the person who goes.

I was in the military and before I went to basic training, everyone tried to psych me out. I knew it would be tough but I also knew I must be ready to adapt and overcome. I did and basic training was a breeze for me, others it was not because they refused to adapt.

My sister-in-law is in Riyadh right now, she is from Karachi but also is a doctor, MD. She says it is a bit different but also she is adapting and not having too much problems because she is playing by the rules and is patient.

I have seen your posts and don't take this wrong but you seem to get a bit anxious. Well if you are going through this now, think how it will be for you once there, maybe this isn't the place to go and you need somewhere more laid back. Just a suggestion.
Sweaty Ted

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your input, but after getting my contracted analyzed by the new dean and hearing that I will earn a maximum of 12,000 Riyal per month has rightfully inspired me to say no to the post offered to me.

I will not accept a post in KSA for less than US$4,000 per month. Add to that that I am "not supposed" to contact the new dean about any of this is a bad sign.
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand. Originally my wife and I considered China but everyone I came across eventually were dishonest on the contracts. So we shifted to the Middle East and hopefully, "inshallah", all will go as planned.
al-Californian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweaty Ted wrote:
Add to that that I am "not supposed" to contact the new dean about any of this is a bad sign.

I have learned the super hard way that almost no one from the administration there wants you to follow-up, check status, or ask necessary questions about anything.

Confused
tacomaboywa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Yep Reply with quote

Sweaty Ted wrote:
I appreciate your input, but after getting my contracted analyzed by the new dean and hearing that I will earn a maximum of 12,000 Riyal per month has rightfully inspired me to say no to the post offered to me.

I will not accept a post in KSA for less than US$4,000 per month. Add to that that I am "not supposed" to contact the new dean about any of this is a bad sign.

Yes, that amount is way too low. Perhaps they mixed you up with a non-native English speaker or they are just nuts.

With your degrees and experience a minimum US$4,000 is a reasonable expectation. This would be my minimum for any new job here. There are still places paying $5,000 - $6,000 a month. However, you'll never find these high paying salaries via recruiters. They're taking the extra for themselves.
now in ksa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that the contract really means that much when you get here. Draw your line in the sand and stick to it. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: