Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Japan schools hirin people w- BA and TESOL cert only...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
esl4everever

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Japan schools hirin people w- BA and TESOL cert only... Reply with quote

Hi Everyone -

Japan is a mystery to me.
I can find almost no list anywhere on schools to send my resume to.
I am trying to not use job boards and trying to send my resume even without school posting they need a teacher.
I have never had much luck with Japan job board on Daves ESL.
I get contacted by other schools - but - not Japan schools - not ever.

I have come up with the same question again and again.

At the moment I teach ESL abroad.
But, I am still new.
Can anyone tell me how to see what Argentina schools are out there?

Details -

- Although I teach ESL abroad I am looking to change to a different country.
- Can anyone tell me what schools tend to hire individuals with a BA and a 140 hour TESOL certificate?
- Along with the certificate will be 6 months of experience teaching ESL abroad.

- most important - i wish to stay away from schools only interested in individuals with an Masters.

recruiters

- any legit recruiters i should check out?
- I have only been contacted by one school in China which seems nice.
- But i am interested in researching a few others.
- I�am interested in living in a large metro area only.

thank you ahead of time for your help.
Rooster_2006

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that you could get a visa. In order to teach English here, you need to be a native English speaker, at least in principle. You do not appear to be a native English speaker. However, there are ways to bypass that requirement. We need more information about your nationality and whether you are currently in Japan, and if so, what your visa status is. That will help us advise you as to your current options (though for non-native English speakers, these options are very limited).
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your profile says you are from the U.S., so I will assume you are an American with a BA degree. For Japan, that is a minimum requirement for teaching jobs and work visas.

If you want something in Argentina, go to the Argentina forum.

As for Japan, when you say "schools", you have to keep in mind that there are several types.

1. public and private schools. These are the mainstream ones you have in the U.S., too.

2. international schools. They teach all lessons in English and are meant mostly for expat kids and returnees.

3. conversation "schools" (eikaiwa). These are language schools only, real businesses.

4. business English schools/agencies. They teach language to business people on site or at the agency.

5. Universities, colleges, junior colleges, etc.

You are qualified only for #1 and #3. For #1, you have to be hired by the JET program or a dispatch agency, in both cases to be an ALT not a full solo teacher, and you will have 20-30 students. For #3, you are an instructor who is alone in the classroom of 2-10 students.

Jobs for both of the above are advertised widely all over the Internet. Go to the FAQ stickies to find their web sites. Just posting your info on one board (Dave's) is not going to get you anywhere.

Also, realize that unless you are physically in Japan, most employers won't be able to interview you. A few do Skype interviews, but most don't. The bigger eikaiwa send recruiters abroad, but you have to go by their schedules and locations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: