Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADVETI
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: ADVETI Reply with quote

I got an interview with these guys. What are they like? Please tell ...

"Abu Dhabi Vocational Education and Training Institute (ADVETI) was established in 2007 and has six (6) entities: Al Jazirah Institute of Science and Technology in Abu Dhabi, Al Jaheli Institute of Science and Technology in Al Ain, Baynounah Institute of Science and Technology in Al Gharbia, Al Reef Institute of Logistics and Applied Technology in Al Shahama, Secondary Technical School (STS) and Vocational Education Development Center (VEDC).

ADVETI is an initiative of the Abu Dhabi Government and is under the management of the Abu Dhabi Centre for Technical & Vocational Education and Training (ACTVET)."
kdredsea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Adveti/IAT/Kaplan Reply with quote

These people--and i say it with the intended consequence of making them otherwise--are unkind, unhelpful, and mercenary. I and three other people--all highly qualified ESL instructors--were let go by this company for manufactured reasons--before the end of probation--perhaps because we weren't brits, tho i can't be sure. I may be unhappy about being let go by them, but I am not a disgruntled or bitter employee. They lied to all of us from day one--about the length of the commute, and the danger of it; the time to get into our own respective apartments, paid flights, etc. It's a sham of a company, though some I know have stayed on for the money. That will be what you get--they pay on time--but don'r got there expecting anything else of worth.
iggyb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just accepted a job from them.

I made it through the hakwon wringer in Korea, so I'm hoping I can take most things in stride with this place. Getting paid per contract and on time is the only real key for me...

Delays and miscommunication in Korea is the norm.

The item about getting let go during a probation period is worrisome. It reminds me of some of the worse headaches you can run into in Korea...

But, time is short, and I need to get to work. I'll cross my fingers and plunge ahead...
rossc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Iggyb,

Just wondering how you were getting on with Adventi.

What are the conditions like and general atmosphere?

Hope everything is ok.

Regards
iggyb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for immigration to clear me to go. I've heard from others that they are in the same boat. They have been assured the jobs are secure even though it is past the time we were supposed to arrive.

From what they've said and other things I've read here, I'm not worried. Just waiting.
Weather Here Sucks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry Iggyb, you'll get here eventually. I arrived to UAE two days ago.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many employers, including HCT, are having problems getting their new teachers in... passed security clearances, but still awaiting the final paper... anyone know what is going on?

VS
James75L

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed an initial offer contract nearly a month ago and have heard nothing from either ADVETI or Xperteach (the recruiter I went through) since.

I was told that I'd be out there by early October at the latest.

Anyone else in a similar position with this company?
turns28

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James75L wrote:
I signed an initial offer contract nearly a month ago and have heard nothing from either ADVETI or Xperteach (the recruiter I went through) since.

I was told that I'd be out there by early October at the latest.

Anyone else in a similar position with this company?

In a similar position James, offered position in early Sept' had quite regular contact though from teachaway (recruiter), last I heard was a week ago from Al Rowdah saying my e-ticket and entry permit would be issued 'in the next few days' despite my contract start date stating my start date was Oct 1st.

Hope this isn't a sign of things to come...
Toxicant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: ADVETI Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Any news from ADVETI? Hard to get any info on these guys.

Received the contract after signing the initial contract. Seems ok but want to know how its going for those already out there?
Geronimo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much is ADVETI offering to pay its
new English teacher recruits these days?
iggyb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got Internet at home and am settled enough. That and getting a checkbook has been the only real hangup, and that was due to waiting for the work visa and passport to come back.

I'm still new, but I think I can see that, like many jobs in Korea, much depends on the quality of people at your specific location. So, my experience probably speaks for a limited range...

Things went far better than expected for me and the two others who arrived at the same time. Largely due to the man assigned to help us. He was from the local area and knew lots of people. Everything went fast and efficient with good deals -- both in terms of price and waiving of money up front and so on...

We got housing, banks accounts, cars, health check, and so on done before the 5 days at the hotel were finished.

1 teacher who arrived way before us didn't have this guy for help for some reason, and she was still in a hotel for about a month when we arrived and got a terrible deal on a car lease...

The only disappointment has been the level of maturity of the students. They are supposed to be college freshman, but it is very much like teaching middle school students.

A couple of the teachers who haven't taught younger people are struggling a little with that. It took me a couple of weeks to adjust my expectations. When teaching younger kids, you just have to accept that periodic, regular frustration are a norm in the job....

Overall, just being a few weeks in, I'm happy.

The major worries were resolved early on. My apartment is great. The resettlement allowance made the first month much easier. And I just got my first paycheck the same time I got online banking setup and could transfer money to my home account.

In terms of how things work at the job, I keep in mind experience teaching in public high schools in the US. If you have to have everything run smoothly in terms of technology in the classroom, copiers working, communication, things making sense, and getting along with others --- then education might not be your cup of tea....

That is no reflection on the individual Many education majors dedicated to it as a career leave teaching within 5 years.

So far, the teaching work - and the things surrounding being an expat ESOLer - here are good for me. Far better than the hakwon system in Korea. On par with public school teaching in my area in the US (at about 3 times the pay).

It is also better than the public school job I had in Korea: Similar frustration with lack of motivation and ill-discipline of some of the students, but I don't have to co-teach or limit it to playing games. I get to really teach in this current position...

I don't generally like the idea of working for very large organizations. Ones that cover a whole country or region. Large bureaucracies. I'd rather work in places where the people in charge locally are the big bosses - bosses who have the authority and power to get done what they want done rather than being a mid-level cog in the wheel...

But, to date, I think I landed on a good spot on one of the spokes...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iggyb wrote:
The only disappointment has been the level of maturity of the students. They are supposed to be college freshman, but it is very much like teaching middle school students.

This made me chuckle because even though we regularly warn about this fact, it seems to slip by for many readers. My immediate comment after my first year in the Gulf in the late 80's was that it was mostly similar to my student teaching of 7th graders in the US. Cool

VS
iggyb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read some comments about these type of students before I came, but I don't remember specifics about the level of immaturity.

I remember things about how chatty they were - as in trying to speak English and not obsessing over mistakes like most Korean students do.

I don't remember people talking about the type of middle schoolish antics I see in class on a daily basis -- except the part about refusing to stop copying each other and cheating on quizes. I do remember seeing that...

I got a PM from someone who said 2 teachers at their institute have already packed it in and headed back home...

I'm fine with my students, because I've always thought public school-type teaching is masochistic. It isn't a career for everyone....

Being frustrated after a class is a regular occurance. If you can accept that, it isn't too bad a gig....
iggyb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember noting how every interview I had for Oman and the UAE asked more than once how I handle disclipinlary issues in class...I did think it was a little odd since they were for college positions....I should have been clued in a little more from that....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: