Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for work in Israel
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlawson1776

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Looking for work in Israel Reply with quote

Hi All,

Most of the postings in this forum are quite old so I thought I would start a new one. I am currently in Israel because my boyfriend lives here, in Haifa. I am a native-English speaker from the US (not Jewish) with a B.A. in Psychology, a CELTA cert., and about 6 months of various teaching experience.

Judging by all the posts and the lack of job listings on the major sites, the market doesn't look so good for me here. I have looked into Berlitz and Wall Street and have applied to several smaller schools throughout Israel with only negative responses. I am working on compiling a list of schools and language institutes in and around Haifa in order to start making the rounds with my CV.

I got some good websites on TEFL in Israel from other postings here that I am going to check out. I also posted in CouchSurfing/Haifa, but haven't received a single response to that. I was thinking of advertising private lessons in some local papers and/or putting up flyers around Haifa.

I'm just looking for any advice that anyone can give me.
Thanks so much!
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are probably more speakers of English than of Hebrew in this part of the world !
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
There are probably more speakers of English than of Hebrew in this part of the world !

Make that "native" speakers too. Plenty of Americans have been emigrating to Israel since the early part of the 20th century.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HC native/non-native is a false dichotomy. It should be seen as a spectrum.
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I have the uneasy feeling that a can of worms has just been opened? Very Happy

Regards,
John
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP thought that being a "native" speaker of English (her term) would help get her a teaching job in Israel. There are plenty of "native" speakers from the U.S. and Canada there already. That was the only point I was trying to make. Wink

N.B. The last three posters have a combined total of 23,438 posts on this site. What has happened to our lives? Shocked
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Henry,

"What has happened to our lives?"

You mean - besides taking a wrong turn and ending up in EFL/ESL? Very Happy

Nothing terribly bad, I'd say. I can certainly think of a lot of worse pastimes than posting on Dave's. Evil or Very Mad

Regards,
John
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, wrong turns usually present new opportunities! Cool
cairanya

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for work in Israel Reply with quote

mlawson1776 wrote:
Hi All,

Most of the postings in this forum are quite old so I thought I would start a new one. I am currently in Israel because my boyfriend lives here, in Haifa. I am a native-English speaker from the US (not Jewish) with a B.A. in Psychology, a CELTA cert., and about 6 months of various teaching experience.

Judging by all the posts and the lack of job listings on the major sites, the market doesn't look so good for me here. I have looked into Berlitz and Wall Street and have applied to several smaller schools throughout Israel with only negative responses. I am working on compiling a list of schools and language institutes in and around Haifa in order to start making the rounds with my CV.

I got some good websites on TEFL in Israel from other postings here that I am going to check out. I also posted in CouchSurfing/Haifa, but haven't received a single response to that. I was thinking of advertising private lessons in some local papers and/or putting up flyers around Haifa.

Thanks so much!

Wait, "not Jewish" by American standards (i.e., Christian/Muslim/Hindu/etc.) or by Israeli standards (i.e., Reform/Conservative)?

If you're Reform or Conservative you still qualify for an Oleh's Visa and can get job hunting and HSL support via the Ministry of Immigration.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for work in Israel Reply with quote

cairanya wrote:
mlawson1776 wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks so much!

Wait, "not Jewish" by American standards (i.e., Christian/Muslim/Hindu/etc.) or by Israeli standards (i.e., Reform/Conservative)?

If you're Reform or Conservative you still qualify for an Oleh's Visa and can get job hunting and HSL support via the Ministry of Immigration.

I know for a fact I qualify to make Aliyah under the Law of Return... Now, as an Oleh, without any Hebrew skills (Yes, I know, I'll get free intensive Hebrew course thrown in) what IS the job market like in Israel?

And I don't mean just teaching EFL, but overall, how's the job market?

Thanks!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for work in Israel Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
...what IS the job market like in Israel?

Try a couple of Internet searches using:

expat forum israel
current job market israel
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for work in Israel Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:

expat forum israel

Wow...what a response Rolling Eyes
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for work in Israel Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:

expat forum israel

Wow...what a response Rolling Eyes

My response wasn't meant to be flippant. Since this particular forum hasn't seen any action since October 2012, I was merely pointing you to a couple of sources via the Internet (e.g., active Israel expat forums as well as recent articles on jobs in the country) that would provide you quick, relevant info. Anyway, good luck with your job search.
hochhasd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for work in Israel Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
cairanya wrote:
mlawson1776 wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks so much!

I know for a fact I qualify to make Aliyah under the Law of Return... Now, as an Oleh, without any Hebrew skills (Yes, I know, I'll get free intensive Hebrew course thrown in) what IS the job market like in Israel?

Thanks!

I guess you are no older than 26 years(i believe that is the deadline) and Jewish? The job market is bad. I was thinking about doing the same thing without doing Aliyah as I am too old. The government starts you off with enough money for one year and what you get is enough to live near the war zone. You can forget about teaching English as I checked into that when I was on vacation. If you have friends or family living there it might help.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for work in Israel Reply with quote

hochhasd wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:
cairanya wrote:
mlawson1776 wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks so much!

Thanks!

I guess you are no older than 26 years(i believe that is the deadline) and Jewish? The job market is bad. I was thinking about doing the same thing without doing Aliyah as I am too old. The government starts you off with enough money for one year and what you get is enough to live near the war zone. You can forget about teaching English as I checked into that when I was on vacation. If you have friends or family living there it might help.

You can retrain as a teacher in Israel to teach K-12 or you can get a PhD to teach university (university jobs all require PhDs) For either of those career paths you must speak fluent Hebrew. There are a lot (English is in high demand-Israelis are NOT fluent for the most part and few people around the world speak Hebrew so knowing English is a necessity) of private English teaching jobs that don't require a high level of Hebrew but it's not a career. There are plenty of jobs but again, you must speak Hebrew.
And yes, I know whereof I speak as I have family there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Israel All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: