Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

can you bring a dog to oman
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamanos12

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: can you bring a dog to oman Reply with quote

Hi, I have a small dog, wiener dog, and would like to bring her with me. Before I start applying for jobs I'm wondering how easy/hard it would be to bring her with me and find housing in Oman?? Any info much appreciated.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that people have done it. Do a search here as there has been discussion in the past.

VS
posh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the dog be looking for work too?
Van Gogh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dog could get a job where I work, they are all barking here!
madrileno

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can bring your dog to the Sultanate. I know people in Muscat who have done it.

If you do though, more than likely you'll have to find a villa of your own rather than a flat, as landlords and other apartment tenants will not be excited about the possibility of having to listen constant barking in their building...
[email protected]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I brought my dog to Oman and several of my friends have also. Depending on where you are from it can take a few months to get the paperwork in order. I had to get my dog a shot and then wait three months, have his blood tested, and then he was good to go.

Oman is not ideal for dogs, but leaving my buddy was never an option. Just come with the mind frame that you will be educating a culture that has zero respect for dogs.
vamanos12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you. Leaving my buddy at home for more than a year isn't an option worth considering.
[email protected]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search for tefanivet. They will charge you too much money but they will get your paperwork in order. Also, your vet can do it for you for a bit cheaper. Mine did.
thesuitthatdidnt

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: cruel and usual Reply with quote

well bring your dog if it enjoys 50c most of the year, have children and teenagers throwing stones at it, and even kicking it.

Ya, your dog will be so happy in Arabia.

I wouldn't even recommend bringing children to this part of the world, let alone an animal. Oman is not animal friendly.
Turbster

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: cruel and usual Reply with quote

thesuitthatdidnt wrote:
well bring your dog if it enjoys 50c most of the year, have children and teenagers throwing stones at it, and even kicking it.

Ya, your dog will be so happy in Arabia.

I wouldn't even recommend bringing children to this part of the world, let alone an animal. Oman is not animal friendly.

I brought my dog to Oman 3 years ago.

In the summer, he is only outside when we are, but the remainder of the year he is fine to be outside.

The local kids all call out to him and all want to get close to him, but rarely touch him. The young adult males are the worst, as they imitate his bark, wanting him to bark back. Of course, he just looks at them as if they are idiots. Cool Now if I want him to bark at them, or he wants to protect me, thats great! They run like scalded cats! Laughing

All in all, Oman has no 'pet' culture, as a rule, except for camels, and that is the only issue. Mostly they are just curious about them.

Kids throw stones at dogs all over the world! Its a phase they go through. My dog has never been kicked, or kicked at!

You are in a different culture and society here, but having our loved dog with us makes it just a little more like home. Smile
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear thesuitthatdidn't,

Heck, I had my dog with me for three years in Saudi Arabia back in the early 80s, and I wasn't even living on a compound.

I had no problems (no stones, no kicks, etc.) - although when I took him out for walks, people did tend to stare as though I had, say, a tiger on the leash. Very Happy.

Regards,
John
Expat101

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected]

' I had to get my dog a shot and then wait three months, have his blood tested, and then he was good to go. '

Do you remember what shot it was? And do you know if they have the same requirements for cats too? What about quarantine?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you remember what shot it was?

Sounds like standard rabies, the old-style one. Nowadays it takes just 30 days to kick in.

Anyway, here's a website with all relevant info for both dogs and cats into Oman.

http://www.pdo.co.om/Expatriate_site/pets.htm

I've never taken my dog to Oman (or anywhere else in the ME) but he does travel extensively. The requirements vary depending on country and they change relatively often. The best source of info will always be a current website that is official for the country, if you can find one.
newbienicki

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PDO site has current info. I brought my two dogs from the U.S. The process is by no means complicated. The animals need to be at leat four months old and have been vaccinated against rabies, distemper and a few of the others at least one month before entry. I impoted mine through British Airways in 2010, it ws pretty pricey. In addition, the original stickers for the rabies vaccine vials must be attached to the vaccination cerificate. The health record has to be issued from a vet in your home country no earlier thn 7 days before departing your home country. If this is the States, the vet will also obtain a USDA document for travel for you.

On this end you need to send scans of the health records and fill in a form for the permits here. Tafani Vets applied for and secured mine here, they charged me OMR 35. The permits once obtained here must be used in, I think, max 6 weeks.

I am planning to bring back a five month old puppy from the States this summer. I have already booked on Lufthansa which allows dogs up to 8kg, in the cabin. Qurum Vets has offered me the option of obtaining the permits for OMR 50, I get someone on my side to meet me with them at the airport in Muscat. They also offer a service for OMR 200. This service has them meet you at the airport. I got my permits myself from Tafani and met my dogs in cargo at Muscat Airport. I had to pay a processing fee for the papers that came with the pets, take this to the Vet's office at the airport to have them checked and stamped. The process ws quick and pretty painless, and most importantly my little guys got here safe and sound, clearing qurantine without a problem.

I suggest you call either Tafani Vets or Qurum Vets to obtain the permits. As stated previously, the PDO link has all the current info.

Good Luck Smile
Expat101

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What could you do with your dog/cat if you arrived in Oman with it/them and you needed to look for housing? I doubt the hotels would let people keep their pets in their rooms and I don't think it would be easy to hide them. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: