Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Studying Japanese on a Tourist Visa, 180 Day Policy, Work

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaikou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Studying Japanese on a Tourist Visa, 180 Day Policy, Work Reply with quote

I'm going to be attending a 2 1/2 month Japanese language course and was wondering if it is allowed under a tourist visa?

I went to Japan in May this year for 18 days and in August for 12 days. I'm wondering if I should expect issues with immigration in regards to the 180 day policy?

Is it advisable to inform immigration of my intent to study the language, show the school paperwork, and mention that I will be visiting my girlfriend during my visit? These are the main reasons for my 87 day trip.

My current job gave me a leave of absence, is it also recommended to provide proof of this?

I also plan to bring about $4000 in cash or would it be smarter to bring less and utilize an ATM?

Is it not advisable to look for work on a tourist visa? Meaning just applying and interviewing, not training or working.

Thanks to all those who can provide any information.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to post only once a year since 2010. Interesting.

You can attend a language school as a tourist, I believe. Staying 87 days to do that will probably be no harm.

However, you talk about money in terms of dollars (US? NZ? CND? AUS?), but also mention a 180-day tourist stay. What is your nationality, if you don't mind my asking? It may be important.

No need to mention the school or girlfriend to immigration.

You are technically not supposed to look for work as a tourist, but nobody will know, and you should NOT mention this to immigration or they may put you back on the plane home. There are trainee visas for training.
kaikou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
You seem to post only once a year since 2010. Interesting.

Interesting? I suppose so, but I do read far more than posting. :-p

Quote:
You can attend a language school as a tourist, I believe. Staying 87 days to do that will probably be no harm.

However, you talk about money in terms of dollars (US? NZ? CND? AUS?), but also mention a 180-day tourist stay. What is your nationality, if you don't mind my asking? It may be important.

No need to mention the school or girlfriend to immigration.

You are technically not supposed to look for work as a tourist, but nobody will know, and you should NOT mention this to immigration or they may put you back on the plane home. There are trainee visas for training.

US citizen.

Thanks for your help, just wasn't sure on the 180-day policy, as some forum posts seemed to indicate possibly only granting two 90 day visas in a year, which of course seemed odd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: