Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Losing interest in creating interest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimmy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the above post. There are a great number of students in Vietnam looking for an alternative way at learning English. They know about the grammer rules and recognize written English because they have been taught about it in school by the local teachers They just simply want to practise how to use it for every day purposes . The method of using more visuals is becoming popular and the students enjoy it.
kurtz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reference to the last two posts; I guess the aim of a "real" teacher in Vietnam is to have the qualifications and experience to not have to work in such places where the students expect you to be the clown. Serious students don't want to see that kind of crap, but the odd sing-a-long is OK if you have a monitor hooked so you can break up those long classes. IELTS or TOEIC test centers, RMIT and a few other places is where it's at; get your WP and visa, teach students who actually want to do something with their life.
manaroundthetown

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So called real teachers are going to have to deal with reality, entertainment is here to stay and you better start entertaining your students or you are finished. The Vietnamese are also quite juvenile so give the customer what they want. dont fight it or it will be your last battle. My wifes school is now going to implement every friday as hollywood and all teachers will have to dress up as movie star and every class will be watching a movie students answer questuions, have tapesript and understand american culture-last night we played a vid on that show cops in America, the lesson was about american culture, everyone was glued to that tv screen watching the cops get the bad guys, after that students read a newspaper article about violence and crime in Vietnam they loved the lesson thank god the viets cant buy guns evryone one of the students wanted to become a gangster. entertraining is the key and the celta and delta sholuld have a module on the most important part of any english lesson, how many vietnamese does it take to change a light bulb? You are on your way, your first joke for your sun morning childrens lesson

dont get a wp unless you can get the non imigration card for what? Confused
biliana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I don't understand this:

Quote:
dont get a wp unless you can get the non imigration card for what?

I'll take a stab at it: a WP allows you to obtain a Temporary Residence Card which means the holder doesn't require a visa. Usually 3 years duration.
kurtz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manaroundthetown wrote:
So called real teachers are going to have to deal with reality, entertainment is here to stay and you better start entertaining your students or you are finished. The Vietnamese are also quite juvenile so give the customer what they want. dont fight it or it will be your last battle. My wifes school is now going to implement every friday as hollywood and all teachers will have to dress up as movie star and every class will be watching a movie students answer questuions, have tapesript and understand american culture-last night we played a vid on that show cops in America, the lesson was about american culture, everyone was glued to that tv screen watching the cops get the bad guys, after that students read a newspaper article about violence and crime in Vietnam they loved the lesson thank god the viets cant buy guns evryone one of the students wanted to become a gangster. entertraining is the key and the celta and delta sholuld have a module on the most important part of any english lesson, how many vietnamese does it take to change a light bulb? You are on your way, your first joke for your sun morning childrens lesson

dont get a wp unless you can get the non imigration card for what? Confused

Where are you from man? I agree, they can be very juvenile but I still think you are able to escape from that shite in a few schools, maybe just a few.

Good luck with the edutainment, I guess it's all about the $$ in your school.
Mattingly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manaroundthetown wrote:
....My wifes school is now going to implement every friday as hollywood and all teachers will have to dress up as movie star

The concept is fine for kids and teens IF they want this.

But "dress up like a movie star?"

Who buys or rents the costumes for the teachers? Where do you find the clothes? Which 'stars' do you dress up as?

This is kind of funny, but I could see it working. I like film/cinema/movies. It's also a great way to acquire language. I've learned and acquired languages in this fashion (as a major part of study).

I imagine you are in Saigon.

A school in Saigon would try this.

Not a bad concept, but I can just see the way it is implemented that would screw it up.

After all, it is....Saigon. Simple things fall apart there (and everywhere else where we are at).
inhanoi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattingly:
"Simple things fall apart there (and everywhere else where we are at)."
Like if we're in Australia? UK?

It's shocking that you can't see that this moron is trying to wind us up, you fell for it hook, line and sinker. You like films so you could see this movie star day "working." What grade are you in (mentally)? You'd allow a school owner to degrade you in this manner, pathetic.
Mattingly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inhanoi wrote:
mattingly:
"Simple things fall apart there (and everywhere else where we are at)."
Like if we're in Australia? UK?

No....like here in....VN.

Quote:

It's shocking that you can't see that this moron is trying to wind us up, you fell for it hook, line and sinker. You like films so you could see this movie star day "working." What grade are you in (mentally)? You'd allow a school owner to degrade you in this manner, pathetic.

Yes, this is Mr. multi-nik once again.

He pretends he's above us but he is one of us.

What grade am I in mentally? I do not know but I have a Master's degree form and East Coast University at Rutgers.

Last edited by Mattingly on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: