Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2020 and all that!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
parnett

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may parse my statements (get your dictionary out Billy) in whatever way makes you happy. You still have nothing significant to say.
As for the numbered poster, for someone who has only been in Istanbul twice, you seem to consider yourself an expert on all things Turkish.
Believe it or not, I can find plenty of nice things to say about Turks. While working in Ankara (and because my brother works for the US government in Ankara) I was honored to tutor Erdogan's daughter Sumeyye for 2 months as she prepared for the TOEFL test. Erdogan, whom I consider to be a great leader and politician, was always gracious and even had me over in the awful looking Prime Minister mansion for dinner.
I am also married to a Turkish woman from Istanbul. We have one child. Her father, who is filthy rich, owns several factories which supply the entire Turkish military with uniforms. Would you like to know their feelings about Istanbul hosting the Olympics? Feel free to pm me 7969. You had better not Billy. You might find my father-in-law's opinion clouded by resentment.
billy orr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why you are taking that tone with me, I am just trying to understand where you are coming from. Your opinion of Turkey sems to have been formed in the darkest days of the 90s. Things have moved on since then. And I did not accuse you of resentment, that was someone else.
parnett

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are completely correct, Billy. I apologize.
I lived in Istanbul (8 months in Ankara) from 1998-2010. I lived with a rich Turkish family (my wife's), tutored both a mayor and the P.M.'s daughter, and through these experiences got a first hand look at exactly how things are done in Turkey.
I would be quite happy for the wonderful students, teachers, merchants, doctors and businessmen I met in Istanbul if the Olympics were actually held there in 2020. It would be a great boon for the country and everyone involved. However, I think there are a host (no pun intended) of problems that are completely unique for Turkey due to its location, its religion and the general attitude of its people that would make the Olympic dream a very difficult undertaking.
And wouldn't the 25-30 billion Euros necessary to fund the Olympics be better spent elsewhere? Such as providing an education for the incredible number of Turks who still can't read or write?
sixthchild

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello parnett
yes twas I who used the dreaded R word, I felt that as you seemed to be the sole voice of dissent (which of course is your right) and bearing in mind your less than favourable general comments, I felt the label was not unduly inappropriate. However, I also feel an apology is in order especially as you said nice things about our Mr Erdogan.

I would still maintain that despite the numerous obstacles and well voiced concerns from your good self that Istanbul does have the potential to do a first class job, as long as our mutal friend and his party remain in power.
Luxe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qaaolchoura wrote:

But from the rest of your posts here I get the strong impression you're one of those rare individuals who somehow developed a remarkable antipathy towards Turkey.

Based on what? Acknowledging reality? I love Istanbul, which is why I'm here. That doesn't change the fact that an Olympics in this city would be an unadulterated shit show. Apparently naivete is all the rage. Like I said, the Olympics will awarded within the year. We'll see who is right. Perhaps then you can blame the IOC for being anti-Istanbul, too. What a childish way to debate. I worked at Huron Consulting in Chicago, which prepared Chicago's bid for the 2016 Games, a bid it lost spectacularly due to community support and infrastructure issues, in addition to an IOC-USOC rift over the financial distribution of media revenue, so I'm not talking out of my ass or anti-Istanbul. I have firsthand experience with the criteria used to select the host city. Rewarding a rising power is not one of them. Istanbul has been an applicant city for every Games since 1996, sans 2016 for whatever reason, and has never even remotely come close to winning. This is the closest it has ever gotten, and it's largely due to Rome dropping out and the US refusing to bid due to the USOC-IOC issues at the moment. The IOC publicly urged the USOC to enter a bid city. This is the first time in history that no city within the Americas (North or South) has bid on the Games. Istanbul making it to the final round is a result of circumstance, and it is absolutely laughable that people think it will be awarded the Games.

7969 wrote:

Several? Only one other poster on the thread agreed with what you had to say.

LOL, because a thread of EFL teachers sets the standard for Olympic bids!
biff99

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone go to the Women's Tennis Championship last year? Things went pretty good. People got excited, there was a good turn out. But there were still pretty big problems with transport and infrastructure even for an event of this fairly modest size. Or what was it this spring? The indoor games? Lots of interest, still ten kinds of problems getting everything finished on time. They're not ready. The spirit seems willing and all, but mother of manwich, I can't even imagine what this place would look like--or be like to live in--when they tried to cram 25 years worth of preparation into 8 years.
parnett

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember one occasion during my first month at Gaziantep U. when I arrived at my scheduled early morning class only to find the room completely empty of students. Upon asking my superior as to where my pupils were, I was told that they would not be having class that morning because practice for a theatrical production had started. I remarked with some irritation that it would have been nice for someone to have informed me that my class had been cancelled. Her respose- "You must learn the Turkish system!!!" I was dumbfounded.
It is this "system" or actual lack of any system whatsoever that will jeopardize any possibility of the Olympics being held successfully in Istanbul.
sixthchild

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the place you worked at was a long way from Istanbul, I understand that the closer a Turkish city is to Europe, the greater chance that a "system" we might recognize will filter through to the greater populace, maybe, perhaps,who knows, someone will figure it out, eventually, no problem!!

Just think, when the baloon goes up and the pantomime starts, you can sit back, laugh a lot and say, "look I told you so".
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure about this notion that geographical proximity to Europe results in better, 'European' organisation in Turkey. Having done border runs to Bulgaria umpteen times in the past, I always felt that the boundary there was remarkable for the utter contrast, the palpable difference easily felt, when crossing to or from the Turkish side. Few borders like it in the world, I'd imagine. But the chief element giving this impression was in terms of organisation.

Never noticed as much of a contrast, or even a difference at all, within Turkey.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: