Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FOREIGNERS OWNING LAND & HOUSE/BUSINESS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fpshangzhou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: FOREIGNERS OWNING LAND & HOUSE/BUSINESS Reply with quote

Hello Expats,

My fiance and I have been introduced to the real estate industry there in Philippines. As a foreigner, can someone direct me to some legit websites displaying or explaining the rights foreigners have in order to buy property, business or home opportunities? I'm just thinking beforehand just in case our relationship goes sour in the future, what consequences I might face or what rights/protections from the worst case scenario of divorce.
So far, I've read a few sites stating foreigners that are married have many opportunities to invest or buy properties/businesses/homes, but if divorced/separated, the foreigner can't own land or will only be able to own 40% of the property (excluding land ownership) and the citizen would be granted 60% of the property/business/home. I would appreciate any feedback or legitimate websites with current laws that I can research furthermore.

Cheers,
Aaron in China
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: FOREIGNERS OWNING LAND & HOUSE/BUSINESS Reply with quote

fpshangzhou wrote:
Hello Expats,

My fiance and I have been introduced to the real estate industry there in Philippines. As a foreigner, can someone direct me to some legit websites displaying or explaining the rights foreigners have in order to buy property, business or home opportunities? I'm just thinking beforehand just in case our relationship goes sour in the future, what consequences I might face or what rights/protections from the worst case scenario of divorce.
So far, I've read a few sites stating foreigners that are married have many opportunities to invest or buy properties/businesses/homes, but if divorced/separated, the foreigner can't own land or will only be able to own 40% of the property (excluding land ownership) and the citizen would be granted 60% of the property/business/home. I would appreciate any feedback or legitimate websites with current laws that I can research furthermore.

Cheers,
Aaron in China

Foreigners cannot own land - full stop.

Foreigners can own a condo provided 60% of the development is owned by Filipinos.

Business ownership is complex because some business are restricted (no foreign ownership), some are controlled (some foreign ownership, percentage varies with business type)), and some businesses (with sufficient paid up capital (in the order of $1 million plus)) can enter the market without restriction or are confined to SEZ or MEPZ.

The good news is that, in the Philippines, she cannot divorce you.
There is no divorce in the Philippines and even if she initiates a divorce abroad it won't be recognized in the the Philippines (provided your marriage was registered in the Philippines) so thinking like a Kano is going to be out-to-lunch.

And the bottom line is: don't invest in anything you aren't prepared to lose 100% of.

thechangling

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: FOREIGNERS OWNING LAND & HOUSE/BUSINESS Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
fpshangzhou wrote:
Hello Expats,

Cheers,
Aaron in China

Foreigners cannot own land - full stop.

Foreigners can own a condo provided 60% of the development is owned by Filipinos.

Business ownership is complex because some business are restricted (no foreign ownership), some are controlled (some foreign ownership, percentage varies with business type)), and some businesses (with sufficient paid up capital (in the order of $1 million plus)) can enter the market without restriction or are confined to SEZ or MEPZ.

The good news is that, in the Philippines, she cannot divorce you.
There is no divorce in the Philippines and even if she initiates a divorce abroad it won't be recognized in the the Philippines (provided your marriage was registered in the Philippines) so thinking like a Kano is going to be out-to-lunch.

And the bottom line is: don't invest in anything you aren't prepared to lose 100% of.

But she (or he) can apply for an annulment of the marriage which is similar to a divorce.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The good news is that, in the Philippines, she cannot divorce you."
The bad news is that there is a fair chance that her family will just kill him.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the close in my previous post says....
suphanburi wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: