Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL University Position full time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNK wrote:
Paradise surely has less trash all over the place.

1.5-2 years for non-backpackers seems to be the norm ime.

Unless they find true love and one of those 18 to 20 bucks an hour jobs like Prof. Gringo is working on.
DNK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That before or after tax?
kurtz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
DNK wrote:
Paradise surely has less trash all over the place.

1.5-2 years for non-backpackers seems to be the norm ime.

Unless they find true love and one of those 18 to 20 bucks an hour jobs like Prof. Gringo is working on.

Yes siree, true love is to be found in Vietnam, "you buy me new motorbike OK?"

What exactly is Prof. Gringo a professor of?

I expect various flotsam and debauched characters to be peddling TEFL for quite some time; this would not be the case so much if a 4-year degree and a CELTA would be the requirements; a pee test for cannabis and an HIV test might make things harder for some as well. Will the Vietnamese Govt. ever insist on such requirements?
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:

Nothing. He's not a professor. That's just his screen name. But don't worry about me. I'm not going to Vietnam for the women. I'm going to improve my powerful TEFL resume. I hold a Masters degree in Education and it has a specialization in English Language Learners (ELL).

And I am working on my Doctor of Education (Ed.D) plus I have a diploma in the teaching of English as a foreign language.
kurtz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
kurtz wrote:

Nothing. He's not a professor. That's just his screen name. But don't worry about me. I'm not going to Vietnam for the women. I'm going to improve my powerful TEFL resume. I hold a Masters degree in Education and it has a specialization in English Language Learners (ELL).

And I am working on my Doctor of Education (Ed.D) plus I have a diploma in the teaching of English as a foreign language.

Well, I wasn't suggesting you are in it for the women; just thought I'd issue a slight word of warning - the ladies here are quite something else.

I'll say it one last time, with your qualifications, I think you're selling yourself short. I know some Muppets that are getting $18-20/ hour, the harder part is finding regular 90+ hours/month work.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:
EFLeducator wrote:
kurtz wrote:

Well, I wasn't suggesting you are in it for the women; just thought I'd issue a slight word of warning - the ladies here are quite something else.

I'll say it one last time, with your qualifications, I think you're selling yourself short. I know some Muppets that are getting $18-20/ hour, the harder part is finding regular 90+ hours/month work.

Thanks Kurtz.
Tigerstyleone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know what he means by "paradise."

His $18-$20 an hour is just a smoke screen.

If he was so concerned about his wage then he wouldn't work in Vietnam.
Korea, for example pays airfare upfront, free housing, National pension which is free money, and a full month's severance pay after one year, and then return airfare. Moreover he has a Master's which is a shoe in for a uni position in Korea which means less teaching hours and more pay, around $2500+ per month not to mention 3-4 months of paid vacation a year. And with those low teaching hours its very easy to earn another $500 or more teaching privates in the evening and weekends or $2000-$3000 camps and special classes during vacation time.

A fool can save $10,000 a year in Korea, and up to $15,000+ with minimal effort. The only problem with Korea is that a 44 year old man can't get laid there, so that's where Vietnam becomes paradise.

Paradise, paradise
kurtz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerstyleone wrote:
We all know what he means by "paradise."

His $18-$20 an hour is just a smoke screen.

If he was so concerned about his wage then he wouldn't work in Vietnam.
Korea, for example pays airfare upfront, free housing, National pension which is free money, and a full month's severance pay after one year, and then return airfare. Moreover he has a Master's which is a shoe in for a uni position in Korea which means less teaching hours and more pay, around $2500+ per month not to mention 3-4 months of paid vacation a year. And with those low teaching hours its very easy to earn another $500 or more teaching privates in the evening and weekends or $2000-$3000 camps and special classes during vacation time.

A fool can save $10,000 a year in Korea, and up to $15,000+ with minimal effort. The only problem with Korea is that a 44 year old man can't get laid there, so that's where Vietnam becomes paradise.

Paradise, paradise

Perhaps I'm not alone in thinking that it's ironic that you hate internet forums and even called yours truly a bully, yet it's fine for you to write such an attacking, moronic and truly vicious post about someone you've never met.

Firstly, we're not allowed to talk about Korea here and what are you? A poster boy for all things Korea?

Secondly, a man is innocent until proven guilty yet you've badgered and attacked this guy for only coming to Vietnam for sex, which is understandable considering it's your modus operandi

Thirdly, perhaps it's beyond you to realize that people don't do things purely for financial reasons. I'd still be in Korea if the place didn't have such a funeral effect on my disposition.

Please stay out of Vietnam, there are enough sexpats and debauched characters as it is, we don't need any more amoral people like yourself.
DNK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet fights Laughing

Not getting Shark Week here has made me a bit pissy too. I understand.
inhanoi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, kurtz.
Tigerstyleone

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
Plus the women love him or so he told me.

Paradise my friend, paradise. Cool

Paradise
kurtz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerstyleone wrote:
EFLeducator wrote:
Plus the women love him or so he told me.

Paradise my friend, paradise. Cool

Paradise

Maybe he's just messing around.....

Let's keep things out of the locker room, I know that was a common theme on the Korea boards.
Rabbit81

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm posting late in this thread on Full time Uni positions, but I have a lot of experience teaching in Universities in Vietnam.

Unis are not really good places to work. The pay is not higher, and you do pay tax. Where the tax goes nobody knows (but we can assume).

If you go the "full time" contract route or part time route you can expect

disorganization

changing schedules

lack of resources

large classes

no control over "grades"
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:

Please stay out of Vietnam, there are enough sexpats and debauched characters as it is, we don't need any more amoral people like yourself.

To be honest those blokes don't really bother me. You can avoid that whole 'scene' pretty easily and I know this because I do it. I can understand why others might look down their nose at the sex-pests because I used to have nothing but contempt for them as well. But since then I've traveled right through South East Asia and some of the sexpats and sex tourists I've encountered have often been some of the friendliest people I've ever met Confused.
kurtz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
kurtz wrote:

To be honest those blokes don't really bother me. You can avoid that whole 'scene' pretty easily and I know this because I do it. I can understand why others might look down their nose at the sex-pests because I used to have nothing but contempt for them as well. But since then I've traveled right through South East Asia and some of the sexpats and sex tourists I've encountered have often been some of the friendliest people I've ever met Confused.

I'm more concerned with new forum members who don't seem to care about learning about ESL in Vietnam, or even how to get started in the country, but rather pointing the finger at stranger's reasons for teaching here in a nasty manner, playing the victim, and being an utter tool in the process.

I know what you mean about Cambodia and Thailand. Thailand attracts the dregs of humanity. Apparently the NGO's have kicked out a lot of scumbags out of Cambodia, but as you said, the Western market is but a drop in the ocean compared to the local market.

Anyway, back on topic.

It would be interesting to hear more about uni positions.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: