Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cost of living (and quality of life) in Al-Musanna, Oman

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saudi-esl-lecturer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Cost of living (and quality of life) in Al-Musanna, Oman Reply with quote

I wonder if folks might be able to give me information on Al-Musanna. Are there fitness centers there? Are there schools for sailing? How much is a flat? How about restaurants and hypermarkets? What is the general tenor of the place? All info much appreciated.
madrileno

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a contact who just finished a contract there.

Al Musana'ah is a quiet town right on the ocean and is on the Sohar-Muscat expressway, which is convenient for trips to the capital. It's also not far away from Juzor Al Sawadi resort which is great for beach trips on the weekend.

Al Musana'ah is just down the highway from Barka, which is slightly larger and has more amenities. There are no fitness centers there (but there are a couple in Barka). There are no sailing schools: you're only options will be in Muscat which is an hour away.

My friend there paid OR 150/mo for a two bedroom flat, but had to buy her own aircons for it. It was a little run down, but she had lovely views of the ocean and the beach was literally three mins away.

Al Musana'a has the typical selection of hypermarkets and gift markets. You'll need to go to Muscat for many western products, but that shouldn't be a problem being only an hour's drive away. The same goes for restaurants. You'll have a nice selection of Indian and Pakistani restaurants along with several Lipton coffee shops to chose from, but if you want western or other ethnic restaurants you'll need to head to Muscat. (Barka does have a Domino's, but that's the only western establishment I know of in Barka.)

Hope that helps.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lipton coffee shops? Really? Laughing

I've always thought of Lipton as a tea company.

VS
(BTW there is a Facebook page called "former teachers of Al-Musanna college" although all the posts seem to be from only one former teacher.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: