Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uniservices Recruited Teachers at PNU
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vivianne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Uniservices Recruited Teachers at PNU Reply with quote

I have been recruited by Uniservices from Univ of Auckland to teach in the PYP program at Princess Nora University (PNU) with a projected arrival date of mid-September pending employment visa processing. My understanding is that some teachers should be arriving this week. I would like to request that as teachers arrive to please comment on your experiences such as arrival, airport transfer, housing, etc. as classes will not start until September. It would be wonderful to have accurate and updated information on the situation at PNU to decide whether to get on the plane! Thank you!
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: ah Reply with quote

You would cancel your plans on the strength of a post from someone who is not known to you ? What percentage of posters here are reliable and objective sources ?
readytotravel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very snarky and condescending reply, Scot. Vivienne made a simple and reasonable request and you shot her down for no reason. Most unhelpful of you. I believe there are many readers who would like to hear from those presently at PNU and this is a place where they can find first hand sources of information. I suspect vivienne is wise and mature enough to discern what is valuable and what is not.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stick by what I say. it is not reasonable to make decisions of such importance based on a posting from an unknown stranger - who may have a grievance.

Coming from NZ to KSA to work is a life-changing decision and should not be taken lightl;y. Nor should you be unduly influenced by a post from anyone here - myself included !

Last edited by scot47 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you are correct Scot, but what other option do posters have? How else can one be a bit prepared before arrival? For you and I taking jobs before the existence of the internet, it was impossible to know exactly what we were getting into. And it usually turned out OK. Cool

It would be great if new arrivals came on and reported on how the arrival and settling in has gone for them. Each applicant then has to decide for themselves the validity of the post.

VS
readytotravel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Scot is correct. He has a keen grasp of the obvious.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps vivianne will post and tell us about her experiences after arrival.
jenjenjag

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivianne - I have accepted a teaching position at Princess Nora and expect to fly from the States to Riyadh in a couple of weeks. I should be going this week, but I am still waiting for some of the paperwork I need to apply for the visa. If you are interested in the position, I strongly suggest you start gathering the necessary documents immediately. It has taken me weeks and weeks.

I will repost when I get there, and I would be happy to communicate with you via PM if you have specific questions.

Good luck with your decision.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW... You need 5 posts to do PMs...

VS
vivianne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veiled Sentiments thank you for your reasonable comments and support. My previous overseas teaching positions also predated options to easily obtain up-to-date information via the Internet. I agree, some positions worked well and others didn't. Of course, if I could have found out more information before going I would not have taken the negative positions as the problems were in existence. . . I just did not know about them. I think it will be a different experience to be overseas with easy Internet access and thought why not start with trying to collect first-hand experiences from those on the ground via the Internet.

JenJenJag: Thank you so much for offering to relay your experiences. I know uniservices are hoping my visa paperwork will get though the system by mid-September, but I too am awaiting the arrival of paperwork on their (Saudi) side, which Uniservices expected to have already arrived. So we will see how long it all takes. Thank you for your advice on the visa, it is going to be one of the more difficult visa processes I have been through. At the moment, I actually have as much of the visa paperwork done as I can.

Scot47: I can certainly write about my experience. However, I should be among the last of the teachers from uniservices to arrive for a fall term start.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Important to remember that real life is more important than what is posted on some fortum. I am as guilty as anyone of letting life on the forum take over !

Naughty !
juno87

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a useful thread. Thank you for posting it vivianne. Smile
teechagimme

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNU is a zoo but I would not necessarily steer you away. Housing varies depending upon which contractor you work for. Same with the flight to an extent. You will be flying economy on an airline that typically serves Arabs. Staff will be very strict about rules. NO extra hand luggage and what you are allowed will probably get weighed. Arabs tend to think that rules are for other people, so customer service people have to be this way.

As a teacher, you too will have to be fairly strict. Consistency is key. These girls have few boundaries and will push yours to the very limit.

I have to go for now, but feel free to ask more questions.
Aklhoney

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vivianne

Having been recruited by Uniservices you will be a direct hire of PNU.

Your terms and conditions of employment as such are substantially different from those employed directly by the recruitment company and subcontracted to PNU in respect to housing etc etc,.

This is the first year that there have been direct hires so processes are currently still a work in progress.

Uniservices are updating all appointees with information recieved from those direct hires who have recently arrived and will continue to do so. Once appointed you will be given the names and contact details of teachers already in place who will be happy to answer your questions.

Good luck with the visa process.
gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: PNU Reply with quote

hi I have an offer for PNU from the Saudi British Centre to teach PYP. I am currently researching info, which is not easy to find. This will be my first time in Saudi so any useful info would be appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: