Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uniservices Recruited Teachers at PNU
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vivianne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gems - It's hard to say as I don't know what SBCs role may be in this situation. Uniservices is part of Univ of Auckland and they are acting as a recruiter so teachers hired through them are directly employed by PNU.
I interviewed with another company also, and what they told me about things such as housing was different, which makes me wonder if that company was a contractor or if even direct hire recruiters have negotiated slightly different situations with PNU for their recruits.
I interviewed with SBC back in 2010 and decided against working with them based upon differences in what the recruiter advertised and what SBC said would be the situation particularly with housing during the interview. The biggest question for you is whether SBC is acting as a recruiter, contractor, or both. You can find many comments about SBC and other contractors on this forum.
Linguist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gems, don't accept the offer from SBC. They are not trustworthy and the housing conditions will be terrible as compared to your colleagues who will be hired by PNU directly.

Auckland Uni is still advertising for teachers. Try to get the job through them.
gems

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: sbc pnu Reply with quote

what makes sbc not trustworthy and do you know what the differences is in the housing conditions. I am in the uk so don't think I can apply through Auckland.
Linguist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can apply through Aukland wherever you are. What makes you say that you can't?

Ask SBC about the housing quarters for female staff and compare it to the new flats offered by PNU on their campus.
vivianne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd give an update on what I've heard so far from the various email threads, facebook, and recruiter updates for anyone curious.

Teachers are being met at the airport and going directly to the apartments which have been described as very nice, but they are also empty (no toilet paper, nothing in the kitchen, no towels).

The grocery story on campus is not open yet, perhaps in late September it will be open. Instead there are three shuttles a week to go shopping so bring food with to get by for a few days until the next shuttle. Originally told that a 'mini bar' would be set up in the apartments with food for the first few days but that doesn't seem to be happening. The fitness center/swimming pool isn't open yet, no word on projected open date.

Internet on campus was to be working last week. It does not seem to be working yet.

It's unclear, but some teachers have been told they won't be paid for two months as it takes a month for the iqama, which seems to be required to set up bank accounts. Some teachers have been told that they must have bank accounts set up before PNU will pay their salaries. There is supposed to be a way to get a small advance on salary after arrival.

With no Internet, very little info is coming back from those already there, but no one has disseminated any comments about work yet.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivianne wrote:
With no Internet, very little info is coming back from those already there, but no one has disseminated any comments about work yet.

That's because the academic year has barely started; the majority of university students all over KSA have spent this week registering for classes.
vamanos12

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,
I'll be very curious to know how things progress for the new ones there.
gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason why I cant apply via Auckland I just have never used recruiters from countries other than UK or destination country. I will look to see what is still on offer. I am still waiting for info from SBC when I emailed for further info on contract conditions!
Lavender_65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Uniservices for PNU, Riyadh Reply with quote

From the time I was contacted by Uniservices until now - I am halfway through my visa process - Uniservices has been extremely professional. They reply to all your queries promptly and gracefully. Graceful is an important word here because most of the recruiters lack the grace and they seldom understand the importance of "Promptly". The two ladies at Uniservices, Nicola and Robyn, leave no scope for any complaints.

I hope they are able to maintain this and, like I said, I am just half way through my visa process.
go_grrrl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Uniservices for PNU, Riyadh Reply with quote

Lavender_65 wrote:
From the time I was contacted by Uniservices until now - I am halfway through my visa process - Uniservices has been extremely professional...The two ladies at Uniservices, Nicola and Robyn, leave no scope for any complaints.

I hope they are able to maintain this and, like I said, I am just half way through my visa process.

I can second this. Robyn emails all the candidates about what's going on at PNU and being honest about the on campus supermarket not being open, lack of reliable Internet services, when to book your flight over so that you don't arrive on a weekend...

I'm only hesitating now because of these news: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=98191
6 classes a day? 60+ students? No overtime?
Not Uniservices' fault for sure, definitely PNU's problem.
wantok

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A credible recruiter will book and pre-pay a flight for you (best on a mutually agreed date) and issue an e-ticket. It shouldn't be necessary for a successful candidate to book and pay for a flight and appeal for reimbursement later, only to wait interminably for the check.

FYI: An Islamic weekend differs from yours.
readytotravel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the same emails from Robyn. Uniservices will book the tickets at our request and we are well aware that the Islamic weekend is Thursday and Friday. Uniservices is doing a great job with helping the recruits. Additionally, the SACM is prompt about answering emails and have even given us a cell phone number to call if we can't reach anyone in the office. I was able to get a question answered immediately by calling our contact there over the weekend.
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNU is a disaster when it comes to logistics of 12000 female students who all arrive at the same time in front of the building at 7:30 in the morning. Because of the driving issue in Saudi Arabia all females need drivers and they can't do anything without them. It seems that they have brilliant coordination on campus and all cars are funneled into a bottleneck at the entrance to the building and the teachers have to enter with the 12000 other students who jam through the doors into the school.

Teachers should have a separate entrance!!!

Well logic is not their forte in the mystic kingdom.

Grendal
readytotravel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I assume this is not an issue for teachers who are housed on campus?
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

readytotravel wrote:
Can I assume this is not an issue for teachers who are housed on campus?

There is no campus housing in the old campus. The new PNU campus is not operational yet. I'm referring to the exit 9 campus near Granada Mall.

G
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: