Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uniservices Recruited Teachers at PNU
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
readytotravel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone corroborate this? It is contrary to what I have heard from Uniservices and, indirectly, from new recruits who have already arrived in KSA to teach PYP at PNU.
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I drive my wife there every morning.

I hope this will suffice. They say the new campus will open in 6 weeks. I say ha. Bukra inshallah.

G.
readytotravel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Word there is that the new apartments are very nice and well furnished. I wonder if the teachers are living on the new campus and commuting to the old? It would be great to hear from someone who is working/living there now.
Grendal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear readytotravel,

I mean you no malice. But...

Have you seen trapezius's avatar?

Grendal
hashim99uk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD edit
hashim99uk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD edit
hashim99uk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some stupid teachers judge on people and give a very fast decision or opinion regardless of the others circumstances!
All teachers know Saudi Arabia well, mismanagement and mistreatment, but they come as they desperate for jobs, no jobs in their home countries, in debt, broken, ....tens of reasons. They just make some money then leave. They can save decent amount cannot be saved in any place. This is the reason. We have to put into consideration all these and do not blame anybody for his teaching job in Saudi Arabia. People are suffering from this crisis and want to go anywhere even the hell to meet their financial needs and not to lose their families and homes. We have to be humane not to judge and say do not come!! stupid assessment and feedback!

MOD edit
Grendal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

readytotravel wrote:
Interesting. Word there is that the new apartments are very nice and well furnished. I wonder if the teachers are living on the new campus and commuting to the old? It would be great to hear from someone who is working/living there now.

As far as I know. The campus (new or old) is separate from the compound or living accommodations.

Grendal
readytotravel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any newly arrived teachers recruited through Uniservices care to comment?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

readytotravel wrote:
Any newly arrived teachers recruited through Uniservices care to comment?

Uh, you've asked this question three times in one day. If the Internet where teachers are being housed is spotty or currently nonexistent, then you'll need to hold on a bit. Besides, if you're required to live in employer-provided accommodations, then details about the housing location and quality won't be of much use anyway; you get what you get. Expect the unexpected.
vivianne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard around 20-30 teachers from various countries for both programs have received visas and arrived. Students without teachers are apparently sitting in their classrooms "studying" material from their other classes. As seems to be typical, who gets their visa when does not seem to have much rhyme or reason to it. By the way, Robyn is with IEG (the Nicolas are Uniservices), and she does seem to have been helpful with getting visas. How much assistance you receive from your recruiter in the visa process seems to be dependent on who your recruiter is.

One or two people have given up and purchased their own Internet service, but those using the provided service find it very limited. There is one teacher recruited by Uniservices with a blog: http://alexandriaofarabia.blogspot.com/

The apartments are sort of on campus in that the monorail to the administration building etc on the new campus does go to the apartments, but technically you are not on campus enough to not have to wear your abaya when traveling from one to the other. There is an issue with transportation. PYP teachers are scheduled for two different shifts, previously there were two shuttles to coincide with the working times. That has been decreased to only one shuttle so everyone is working extra unpaid hours. Supposedly that's going to be resolved by moving the PYP program to the new campus in Oct or Jan...someone else may remember, I feel like the PYP program was supposed to move last school year also. The current shopping shuttles being offered because the supermarket on campus is not open are apparently going to end soon, but no word on when the supermarket will open.

The apartments are new and sort of mixed bag. Various things simply don't work or have issues. It just depends on your situation if that will be an electric plug, the air conditioning, or an exploding gas oven. No one seems to have been able to make any progress yet on getting an iqama and therefore no progress on getting the promised multi entry/exit visa. Just getting a campus ID so you can leave seems to take a while.
juno87

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Any Canadian Teachers? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a Canadian Teacher still waiting for the visa. Have any Canadian teachers made it over to PNU, and if so how long was your visa wait?

Thanks.
vivianne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juno--There's been a lot more information about the Canadian teachers and visas on the facebook page for uniservices PNU teachers. If you need more info PM me.

Other updates: the outdoor running track was 'opened' by some teachers and now administration has acquiesced for the track and outdoor sports field. The pool/gym is not open. Same as the beginning of September, administration is saying it will open in a few weeks.

The mall shopping shuttles will end next week. No information on opening the on campus grocery store and bank. Fortunately, some teachers were able to connect with a grocery store that now sends it's own shuttle every evening to the campus, so anyone who needs to can go grocery shopping for an hour.

The Internet service that is available is apparently very slow 3G. Quite a few teachers seem to have chosen to buy alternative service via a dongle or a 4G router and that is working very well for them.

No medical insurance cards yet, but some have done their medical for the iqama process. HR has said to submit receipts for medical costs teachers have paid until insurance cards arrive.

With work: Books did arrive later in September. PYP is still at the old campus. There are three programs and there appears to be mixed results with leveling students in classes for all three program with PYP being better than last year. Around 150 teachers are there now with Uniservices plus the contractors. As more teachers arrive the goal is to double the number of hours of English classes for each student, at least in the PYP program. Also the faculty handbook has been disseminated and it lists the upcoming Hajj break as the last break for teachers until the end of the school year. The previously provided academic calendar did not differentiate between student and faculty breaks.
go_grrrl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivianne wrote:
Juno--There's been a lot more information about the Canadian teachers and visas on the facebook page for uniservices PNU teachers.

I'm a Canadian and am also waiting for my visa approval. It's been nearly six weeks. My recruiter from Uniservices informed the candidates that PNU had applied for an exemption from the new regulation that states English teachers must have an English degree. But my visa agent said that he doesn't know about this exemption and is following up on it.

Vivianne, could you cut and paste the info onto Dave's about Canadians and visas, pls? Or if you could also pm me. My visa application was rejected, so I'm wondering if I should just forget all about PNU altogether...such a shame about the $$$ I'd already invested in getting all my docs together.

Thank you in advance!
Jessiemiles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's happening at PNU now? Is the track still open? Has the gym been opened? How about the store?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: