Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uniservices Recruited Teachers at PNU
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cairanya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you're on the mailing list, but they had an interesting little exchange last night. Apparently they've changed the contract for the new teachers so that the new teachers are now responsible for the costs of their own Iqamas/medicals/etc. once they're in Saudi -- both for themselves and a few locals. (As of the cost of the American medical exam weren't enough...)

Sounds like the guy who's in charge of budgeting can't add -- or is embezzeling tons of dough...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe that this is contrary to Saudi employment law. Those being screwed should contact the ministry and report this activity.

VS
cairanya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure she didn't get her visa yet. It sounds like she called the Embassy to get information about how much it'd cost, and the official told her it was illegal.

That said, we all know what PNU will do if she calls the Labor board -- they'll just fire her because it's the probationary period. Besides, the Labor courts don't hear cases in English, do they?
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offical language in KSA is Arabic. Cases in court or in the Labour Board are heard in Arabic. What do you expect ?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously if an individual pushes an issue to a court case, one gets a local lawyer. But, we are not talking about going to court. In the past, there have been employers reported for obviously breaking labor laws... like this for all of their employees - not just one individual... who were brought into line by the ministry. It is likely about how blatantly they are breaking the law and the numbers affected. (and how much wasta they have, of course)

VS
Linguist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
The offical language in KSA is Arabic. Cases in court or in the Labour Board are heard in Arabic. What do you expect ?

I expect to find official government translators available at MOL's main office for expatriates. Is that too much to ask from a country that depends on expatriates to live.
cairanya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linguist wrote:
I expect to find official government translators available at MOL's main office for expatriates. Is that too much to ask from a country that depends on expatriates to live.

Yes.

They don't see themselves as depending on us; they see us as disposable slaves.
Jessiemiles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those in charge at PNU keep making changes to both the hiring process and the contracts.

If/when I get a contract, I'll look out for what it says about visa costs and post the info here.
cairanya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jessiemiles wrote:
Those in charge at PNU keep making changes to both the hiring process and the contracts.

If/when I get a contract, I'll look out for what it says about visa costs and post the info here.

According to the email: "G. The Second Party (i.e., me) shall be obliged to the fully cost of expatriation, resident permit (lqama), work permit, and annual exit/re-entry visa issuance fees, The Second Party will also fully pay the sponsorship transfer fees for locally-hired employees, limited to SR. 2,000 (Two Thousand Saudi Riyais), and only for the first sponsorship transfer fee."
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone even consider for a moment accepting a job from this shady, chronically abusive, incompetent employer? There has been darn near NOTHING positive said about them or any of their increasingly awful recruiter/contractors.

Sad that any teachers have to be desperate enough to even consider working for them... no less actually do it.

VS
cairanya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Why would anyone even consider for a moment accepting a job from this shady, chronically abusive, incompetent employer? There has been darn near NOTHING positive said about them or any of their increasingly awful recruiter/contractors.

Sad that any teachers have to be desperate enough to even consider working for them... no less actually do it.

VS

Have you seen the economy lately, at least if you're a newly minted MA? Or are American, and therefore have non-dischargeable college loans? Sadly, I kinda get it.

I'm going to email the woman for more information. I'm kinda interested to hear what Uniservices response was.
Linguist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

VS

Veiled, are you saying that Uniservices should not be trusted?
Jessiemiles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working at PNU is a way to get gulf experience. Maybe not the best way, but certainly not the worst.

Not every teacher who considers working there has to be desperate...they could also be a little tipsy Wink
Jessiemiles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cairanya wrote:
According to the email: "G. The Second Party (i.e., me) shall be obliged to the fully cost of expatriation, resident permit (lqama), work permit, and annual exit/re-entry visa issuance fees, The Second Party will also fully pay the sponsorship transfer fees for locally-hired employees, limited to SR. 2,000 (Two Thousand Saudi Riyais), and only for the first sponsorship transfer fee."

Thanks Cairanya. I'm being recruited by Teach Away who works with Uniservices. We get information a bit after Uniservices gives it, so I expect an email about this change next week.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only is the wording faulty

" . . . The Second Party (i.e., me) shall be obliged to the fully cost of expatriation . . ."

but it's also a rip-off, and doesn't even conform to the law.

"As per Article 40 of Saudi labor law, the sponsor is responsible for the payment for the new Iqama and its renewal for his employee."

From the first "sticky" about the Kingdom's Labor Law (see stickies above, please)

Article (40):
(1) An employer shall incur the fees pertaining to recruitment of non-Saudi workers, the fees of the residence permit (Iqama) and work permit together with their renewal and the fines resulting from their delay, as well as the fees pertaining to change of profession, exit and re-entry visas and return tickets to the worker�s home country at the end of the relation between the two parties.
(2) A worker shall incur the costs of returning to his home country if he is unfit for work or if he wishes to return to his home country without a legitimate reason.
(3) An employer shall bear the fees of transferring the services of a worker who wishes to transfer his service to him.
(4) An employer shall be responsible for the cost of preparing the body of a deceased worker and transporting it to the location where the contract was concluded, or where the worker was recruited unless the worker is interred in the Kingdom with the approval of his family. The employer shall be relieved if the General Organization for Social Insurance (GOSI) undertakes the same."

Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: