Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Owning a car in Russia for a few months?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
White ice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Owning a car in Russia for a few months? Reply with quote

Hello all,

If I was to work in Russia for a year teaching would it be difficult to buy an old car (lada) and drive that for the year I am there. After the year I would then sell it.

Im curious to know what kind of money an old lada would cost and if insurance and tax is expensive.

Any info appreciated,

Last edited by White ice on Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
coledavis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer your questions, but I think that you should be warned that the traffic police are the bane of ordinary drivers' lives in Russia, extorting bribes on any pretext. What a lovely time they would have with a foreigner to shake down. I wouldn't bother, if I were you.
Nexus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like car prices anywhere, you can get a really old piece of junk for next to nothing but who would want to. You should be able to get something pretty reasonable for about 2000-3000 USD.

Don't know about the tax etc. Quite a lot of foreigners drive so it's not such a big deal but personally I'd be worried about accidentally pranging someone's blacked out BMW (especially if you then notice they have AAA etc plates)
smithrn1983

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a quick look at yandex avto, and the cheapest car I found, a Soviet era Lada, was still selling for $1000USD. Cars are expensive here. Also, you should consider where you want to live in Russia. If your plan is to work in Moscow, I wouldn't bother. The traffic jams are notorious, and you'll wind up increasing your commuting time significantly. Better to stick to good ol' public transportation.

Also, the roads in Russia aren't the best. Russians often say the country has two problems, fools and roads (duraki i dorogi in Russian), and the part about the roads is very true, especially once you leave Moscow.
coledavis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, where I live, drivers spend much of their time swerving on either side of the road to avoid potholes. And even if it's not the fault of the road, the driving is diabolical, as suggested in the previous posting.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd only drive here if I were in a T-34.
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Another problem...... Reply with quote

Where do you plan to keep it?Leaving it parked outside where you live carries obvious risks,even more so with winter coming along soon etc...if it's a decent car it may well get stolen-or parts of it will!Finding a garage nearby to keep it may also be very difficult and then there is the not inconsiderable question of how much the rent for it will be?
White ice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus wrote:
especially if you then notice they have AAA etc plates)

what does that mean?

its interesting to read all the comments.

it sounds even wilder than i expected.

i think i need to do more research on the reality of life in russia with regards to levels of corruption and lawlessness.

so you cant even park a car in the street without a high risk of problems?
maruss

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Some good questions! Reply with quote

Soviet planners never designed Moscow with the idea that more than a minority of people would ever own cars....ever since then the city has just had to keep implimenting stop-gap measures,building new ring-roads etc etc. but still the congestion is horrendous and many main arterial routes are blocked from early morning until late evening...you have to see it to believe it!
smithrn1983

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White ice wrote:

so you cant even park a car in the street without a high risk of problems?

The most likely scenario is that someone will double park, trapping you in and forcing you to take the metro to your next class, and come back for the car later.

That's not to say that your car can't be stolen or broken into; it's just less likely.

Without a garage, though, you'll be at the mercy of available spaces (i.e. next to none) around your building to find a place to park. You could be in for a bit of a hike.

I've thought about buying a car here several times, and every time I've concluded that it just isn't worth it, or even practical. If I lived in a smaller Russian city, it might be, but I don't.
Kofola

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second what others have said re cities and public transport being better, and the state of roads out in the sticks (just in case you're suffering from any illusions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXYagU_SnmI)

Russian roads are very dangerous - they drive like nutters. This is fine if you are a Russian nutter and understand how Russian nutters drive. If you are foreign this makes the roads much more dangerous because they do things you don't anticipate (drive down slip roads in the wrong direction, expect you to make room for them if they're overtaking in your lane, drive on pavements etc).

Head on collisions are very frequent due to king o' the road syndrom...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=-r5bClOqhjQ
Nexus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certain plates indicate cars of state officials, police/FSB etc. Typically AAA, OOO etc

If you need to take kids to and from the dacha, a car is essential. Otherwise, it's pretty much a waste of time.
ComradeBL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: May Not Apply Reply with quote

I'm speaking from KZ and not RU so take it for what it's worth...

I tell everyone that just about everything is cheaper here than in the West, with the exception of two things; consumer electronics and automobiles (machinias).

Whatever a car may cost at home, expect to pay double here.

A former colleague took me to the auto flea market (this place where locals line up their cars in neat little rows and put a "for sale" (prodam) sticker on the front/back windshields). The absolute lowest price auto was this POS Lada not from Soviet times but made of post-Soviet plastic, and homie wanted over $3000 USD. A mid-2000 Tida (Versa in USA) Nissan was over $12,000; that's what a 2013 would cost new...you get the idea...

Everyone says that if you're going to get a car, the best way to do it is to import from Western Europe or ship across the Pacific in bring it in through PRC.
White ice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have certainly now been put off buying a car.

Thanks for the info.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably for the best...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: