Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I go to Spain to find an EFL job?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shiningstar21

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Should I go to Spain to find an EFL job? Reply with quote

I really want to get a TEFL job in Spain, however even though I have applied to about 30 jobs, I have yet to get much response back.

I have a 130 hour TEFL course, a degree, and a little teaching experience.
I understand Spain is a very popular place, so it's competitive, but I've heard it's much easier to get a job once your already abroad.

I am going on holiday to Spain in the begining of September, and was thinking of trying to apply for jobs while I'm there. Is this a good idea? Also, if I am accpeted, would I be able to travel home after my holiday, then come back whenever the job starts?

Also, what is the mimunum salary I should accept?

Do jobs in Spain offer accomodation, or generally no?
Grimace420

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did you apply for said jobs? Almost all language schools have been shut for the last 6 weeks or more and probably won't be looking for new staff for the next 2. That said, I don't "do" academies, but my understanding is they don't start their year properly until at least mid-September or nearly October. Someone correct me if I'm talking out of my rear end.

Applying for jobs while you're here is your best bet, as employers will always prefer those already on the territory to those who may or may not come here. The problem is that you're coming here for your holiday just a little early, before the academic year gets underway. Why wouldn't you be able to leave and come back? What, are you one of those illegal worker types? I see from another one of your posts that you've got a British passport and therefore you aren't, so you can enter and leave Spain as you please.

The salary depends a bit on luck, where you live and your legal status. Your best bet as a first-time ESL teacher is to combine academy work with private classes and I'd say first time around anything over 1,300 per month would be good for somewhere like Madrid or Barcelona and around 1,000 would be good in smaller places.

Accommodation is almost never offered unless you're doing something like working at a summer camp or volunteering at Vaughan Villlage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: