Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a bit of a pickle... booted from my guesthouse. advice??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stumptowny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: a bit of a pickle... booted from my guesthouse. advice?? Reply with quote

I have been given the boot at my guest house and it has been rather dismal anyway so no hard feelings. they overcharge me, more than all other tenants, for a large closet essentially and have not supported me satisfactorily..

anyway, they want me out by august 31st but I arrive back in japan on september 1st! I am on vacation and I left Japan before they gave me notice. so it is not possible.. I have not prepared anything back in japan.

normally I would just be honest and say, hey, thanks but I need another month since I have been out of japan. here is the kicker... before I left japan, I turned up my AC on max and left.. I am a *beep*! it is true. but hey, they pay electric of course and it is included in my high rent so....

now I want another month there without them entering my room. they would be like, uh, your AC is on, of course you are in japan! so not sure how to navigate this one? my goal is to have another month when I return to find a place. my goal is also to have them not enter my room before I get back on the evenig of september 1st.

I return the 1st at night then have one day (sunday) before resuming work on the 3rd. it is a bit of a pickle. what would you do if you were me? don't want them sniffing around my place before I get back so I was going to write them like a day before I return, leaving them little time to check into it.. I have not replied to their email. they have been rather prickish so I really dont care about peaving them unless it will not get me another month, in which case, I care a lot!

anothe rmatter, I have paid my rent witha smartpit card at family mart so this is not tied into my financial livelihood whatsoever. no bank accounts or credit cards... so that is nice.
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your favor, I think they can't evict you on just a week's notice. Not 100% sure of that, but it doesn't make sense to give such a short time. I think civil code says 6 months is the minimum. Do you mind explaining the reason he gave?

You deliberately turned on AC and left for over a month?! That is NOT cool (no pun intended) and you should feel ashamed regardless of the situation between you and the landlord. No excuse for such a thing.

If he thinks you are there because he can hear/see the AC running, you need to explain things fast. Fess up, but at the very least you could lie and say you forgot about the AC. Since you are not even here for the next 5 weeks, I suspect he may make his way to your "closet", perhaps even legally, and discover anyway that you aren't here, and perhaps dump your stuff on the street.

Right now, IMO it doesn't matter what he has done in the past to "peave" you. Clear things up ASAP so that you don't come back to a pile of stuff on the street and 1 day to find new housing before resuming work.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nasty thing you did. Why would a landord want you as a tenant withan attitude like that?

Glenski, do tenant rights apply when the tenant is in a weekly/monthly rental room? I know of a share house in Tokyo that only requires a week's notice from a lewving tenant.

Glenski's advice is good - the caretaker can turn off the AC pronto.
Inflames

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokyoLiz wrote:
Glenski, do tenant rights apply when the tenant is in a weekly/monthly rental room? I know of a share house in Tokyo that only requires a week's notice from a lewving tenant.

I would assume they do apply. One of the big questions would be what type of license (if any) the landlord has and somehow I would assume they don't have a license for a hotel (essentially what those places operate under).

Every place I've lived in has required less notice from the tenant than from the landlord (generally 1 month vs 6 months).
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokyoLiz wrote:
Glenski, do tenant rights apply when the tenant is in a weekly/monthly rental room?
I don't know, and frankly I'm too darned busy right now to look them up. Perhaps someone else can...?
stumptowny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
TokyoLiz wrote:
Glenski, do tenant rights apply when the tenant is in a weekly/monthly rental room?
I don't know, and frankly I'm too darned busy right now to look them up. Perhaps someone else can...?

no need. they did what is required... 30 days notice. again, they told me after i had left so it is effetvely zero notice in practical terms. so now it is about timing my return and getting extra time...

when should I send them the email? my fear is that if I tell them I am out of japan now they have more time to plan to put my stuff out on the street if they don't agree with an extension. I really don't trust them (obviously) otherwise I would write them now to ask for more time.

thanks for all your thoughts.. the ac full blast is the least I could do, trust me on that. the AC is completely quiet so no worries there and I have friends who can go into my room and turn off the AC should they posture entry..
Pitarou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How you act now really matters. Your next landlord will want to know why you left the previous place, and he will be alert for any hint of a problem. If you want a bed to call your own, you absolutely need a good reference. Peeving them is the last thing you want to do.

So change your attitude. Suck it up. Be nice. When he finds that you left the AC on apologise sincerely for the oversight, and insist on paying. Your stunt will have cost him at least 5000 Yen -- possibly much more depending on the temperature you set it to and the quality of the insulation. If he charges you 50,000 yen, pay it. And then, beg him to let you stay on long enough to find somewhere else.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They gave you 30 days, and that is over in just a week? Interesting that you waited 3 weeks to ask anyone here for advice instead of your friends in Japan.

So, you have friends here with a key? Good. Tell them to go tomorrow and turn off that AC!

As for you contacting the landlord, that's your call, but if he's giving you until Aug.31, and you aren't even here until a month later, perhaps your friends had better move your stuff out, too. It's either that, or you come home earlier. Once you've figured out which of those 2 options to take (I wouldn't let things go until Sept), contact the employer and explain, especially if you decide to have friends removing your belongings, otherwise he might call the police on them.

Just do this ASAP.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you're three weeks into your month's notice period and, so far, the only action you've taken is to leave the air-con switched on. I don't hold out much hope for you.

I understand that 24-hour manga / internet cafes are where the desperate sleep. They have showers and private booths, and they cost roughly 3000 yen per night. You'll also need to look into storage facilities.
stumptowny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
So, you're three weeks into your month's notice period and, so far, the only action you've taken is to leave the air-con switched on. I don't hold out much hope for you.

I understand that 24-hour manga / internet cafes are where the desperate sleep. They have showers and private booths, and they cost roughly 3000 yen per night. You'll also need to look into storage facilities.

thanks for your thoughts everyone... I don't hold out much hope for myself at this guesthouse either.. I would black list it in a heart beat. certainly I would not let them represent me to future landlords as a reference. that is something a company earns, not the other way around. don't be a victim just because you live in another country people! stand up for yourself. plenty of other rental agencies will take my money for any number of reasons if they ask for any at all.. glenski, your judgement is the only I was seeking! I knew you would come through for me with days to go...
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you seem generally in agreement with us on your predicament, how about answering my initial question about what he is kicking you out for? Just curious.
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
So change your attitude. Suck it up. Be nice. When he finds that you left the AC on apologise sincerely for the oversight, and insist on paying. Your stunt will have cost him at least 5000 Yen -- possibly much more depending on the temperature you set it to and the quality of the insulation. If he charges you 50,000 yen, pay it. And then, beg him to let you stay on long enough to find somewhere else.

Don't be silly! I've lived in three different apartments now with three different companies, and none of them have required a reference. Money talks, and it's the estate agent's job to match tenants with landlords.
stumptowny

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there seems to have been mis-information in this thread so here is an update from the streets. I have been searching tons of chintai...

only one has asked for my current address (not any company information mind you). The others have not even asked for my current address. None have ever asked me for any kind of reference or told me they would contact a past landlord. so the need to kiss ass or walk on egg shells while you are getting shafted is not necessary. ironic that in a country so anal with rules, they don't do this, while back at home it is likely.

These places are so happy to stick us with fees and giddy at the chance, they can't see straight, let alone worry what a past company thinks..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: