Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Adana with english home????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ciarak121

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Adana with english home???? Reply with quote

Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about teaching in Adana? I have been offered a job with english home and was wondering if anyone has any advice or previous expierience with them or Adana??

Any information would be appreciated,

Thanks
Ciara:)
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciara,
I just got into Adana today. Have you ever been to Puerto Rico? It reminds me a bit of PR.

It's been raining on and off. The area I'm in isn't particularly inspiring, but it's not unpleasant either. I'll let you know as I learn more.

What I've heard form Turks is that it's a dull industrial city that gets much too hot and muggy in the summer. What I've heard from expats is... nothing. I'm the first native English speaker I've met who's been to Adana for any reason except a stopover en route to Mersin of Antioch. The lack of information wouldn't say much about the quality of work here, except that I've found there's a generally lack of information in English on Turkey outside the major tourist areas. �ukorova Uni is located here, which means there will be students, and I know at least one reputable school that has a branch here.

As for English Home, I have no idea. I'd suggest searching the forum, but I just tried that myself and the search function is giving at least me some difficulty.

Regards,
~Q
ciarak121

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thank you for your response:)
It doesnt sound like a very appealing place to go and work in!!?
Can I ask are you there for work or just passing through?

Would you reccommend me to go there or keep looking for work elsewher?

Thanks

Ciara
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, I just got here. I didn't really have an opinion one way or the other then, except that I certainly liked it better than Ankara or Bursa.

I will say that I don't let other people's opinions affect me unduly, and had to see Adana itself. Rich foreigners can afford to spend all their time on beachfront resorts, and I don't know if you noticed, but Turks tend to have an almost nationalistic attachment to their native cities.

I suppose I should ask you: Where are you, and what are you looking for exactly? I think a lot of people are frustrated by the job market in Istanbul, and are looking for another Istanbul. (I was overwhelmed by Istanbul and looking for another job market.) There is no other Istanbul. Istanbul is sui generis.

Adana, for what it is, is nice. I rather like it. The city smells nice, which isn't something I think I've ever said about a city before. The pace feels slow. And I happen to enjoy a certain aesthetic common in Turkish cities: the tall concrete towers painted in bright pastels along the main highways, the street vendors along the larger roads, and the haphazard� almost third-world�feel about the backstreets, with the occasional vacant, ruined building. Like I said, this isn't an uncommon aesthetic: I've seen it in Konya and Akhisar too (and in other parts of the world). It's also the first city I've been to where the mosques don't feel the need to turn their megaphones up to 11. (Though some do turn it up to about 9.)

In addition, being Turkey's fifth-largest city, it has all the modern amenities you could want. And I can't even begin to describe the large public park by the waterside, which is absolutely beautiful, and surprisingly uncrowded. You have to cross the large ugly artery to get to the park, but I think almost every city in Turkey has that problem.

Of course it's spring, so things are open later and the flowers are in bloom. But spring couldn't fix my opinion of Ankara and actually lessened my opinion of Izmir. (I still love Izmir, but there's too many people out in the spring.) It's also not yet summer, when it may indeed get a bit hot and muggy.

I'd suggest you come and see it for yourself, but the real question is what is this school like? And that's something I can't help you with. (Looking at another post of yours you want to teach children. I'm after adults.) Does the school have any other native teachers, particularly former native teachers, they can refer you to?

Regards,
~Q
ciarak121

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thank you so much for all the information.
I think I will come and see what its like for myself. I was looking on the internet and it seems nice:) I will be there towards the end of June:)

I am just looking for a nice area where I can meet new people and make new friends and not be an oucast for being foreign!!

I have emailed people from the school so hopefully I will hear back soon.

Hope you find your job teaching adults:)

Ciara
sedaa91

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adana gets really, really, really hot and muggy like REALLY hot and muggy. Not sure where you are from but it's nothing like upstate new york (if you've ever been here) it reaches over 40 Celcius! Other than that, they have the best kabob obviously known as Adana Kebabi Smile
chromium

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciara,

did you end up moving there? I'm thinking of moving there, but it sounds kind of boring.
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adana is a boring and very humid city with few if any EFL jobs available. The only thing to do there is walk in the parks and eat Kebab! Istanbul is the place to be...you can find a job here just knock on 100 school doors and you might get an offer although there are thousands of teachers doing this here looking for work. Good luck in your search! Smile
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle Eyes:
Chromium and Ciara K both had job offers here. They're asking about the city.

And yes, it does get really hot and muggy. All week it has been in excess of 40 Celcius at the hottest points and it's projected to continue. From what I hear though, it's unusual.

The good news is that it gets cooler at nights, and doesn't begin to get really hot until early afternoon.

Remember that Istanbul isn't for everybody. It's a very nice place to visit, but having left it I've resolved it's pretty much the one place in Turkey I'm personally not willing to live. I find it too big and too chaotic and too many people there see foreigners as mark

~Q
BrotherJimma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must disagree with Eagle Eyes claim that Adana is a boring city. There are far more dull places to be in Turkey (ever been to Karabuk? didn't think so). For starters, you will find the food there to be twice as good as anything you will find in Istanbul, and for half the price. The city itself may be lacking in charm, but the people are warm and hospitable, and many beautiful sights are close by. I would say the weather is the primary drawback to choosing Adana. And consider that while in Istanbul you are just another yabanci caught up in the rat race, in Adana you are something special to everyone you encounter, and the pace is one for savoring life's little pleasures.
krcal25

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit late to be helpful for the OP, but thought I'd put in my 2 cents. I've been in Adana for a year and a half, and the city is nice to live in. I don't think it is boring, especially if you have good friends to hang out with. That being said, Q, you should pm me if you are still in search of foreign teachers to hang out with, there are actually quite a lot in Adana. And, as BrotherJimma said, the food here is to die for, it's what I miss most when I go home for the summer. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: