Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Globnet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vila

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Globnet Reply with quote

Hi,

If you were at the TESOL Arabia Conference and got hired by hct, but was contacted by the Globnet, I�d like to ask about your experience with them, have you arrived in Muscat?

If you have any information about the Globnet, I�d be interested in it, thanks.
StampLover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new semester does not start until the 1st. And history shows, new hires usually don't arrive until 10-15 afterwards.
Vila

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thank you for the info. It is so interesting that I didn�t get any responses about the Globenet, it says a lot.
dorothy1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: GLOBNET'S DEMISE Reply with quote

Globnet has an ugly and notorious reputation in Oman. It has earned its reputation by confiscating the passports of its employees, which is contrary to Omani law and the clear rules of the Ministry of Manpower:

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/oman/oman-bans-companies-from-holding-staff-passports-1.638293

Globnet's top Human Resources Manager (E.O.I.) behaves like a thug. His aggressive tactics may be appropriate in his country of origin, but not in a civilized society. The Ministry of Manpower is fully aware of Globnet's abusive and illegal conduct. I have been informed from knowledgeable insiders that that Globnet is being phased out for MOM contracts. This is long overdue. What took the MOM so long? Anyone who takes a job with Globnet is only asking for trouble. Just read the voluminous complaints over many years against Globnet on this website. Thanks to Mr. Dave Sperling for this public service announcement.
Vila

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for being so honest and for your post. I have read all of the posts, but wanted to get a comment for somebody who personally dealt with them as I had the worst time. What advice would you give me, as I accepted the contract before I was aware of it, I still haven�t gone, should I back out? What is the scenario if the teacher falls out when he gets there, thank you.
dorothy1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: The Horrors of Globnet Reply with quote

Dear Vila: I am very happy to be of assistance to you. You have not signed their contract yet; you have only accepted their offer. You are aware by now that they do not send you their full contract in advance. They only show you the one-sided terms of their contract once you arrive in Muscat. But, by that point, you are trapped. If you wish to resign, you must give them a full semester's notice. Many people have run away from this dreadful company. I am not surprised at all. Last Fall, the new hires challenged them with the help of local lawyers. We made all the deans of the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) colleges aware of their illegal conduct. These deans put their disapproval of Globnet's practices on record with the MOM. If you should sign their contract, under no circumstances allow them to take your passport or to retain your diplomas. They will never give these back to you until you finish the contract. Please pay attention to the red flags Globnet is waving. They are all smiles until you sign the contract in Muscat, and then the honeymoon is over. You are their property thereafter. Decide wisely.
dorothy1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Globnet: Do not surrender your passport Reply with quote

Dear Vila: One of the reasons you should never surrender your passport to Globnet or any other private company is the possibility of theft. See this article in Muscat Daily:
http://www.muscatdaily.com/Archive/Oman/43-passports-burgled-with-company-s-safe/(language)/eng-GB

Of course, the best reason for not surrendering your passport under coercion to a private company in Oman is: it's the law. Pure and simple.

http://www.muscatdaily.com/Archive/Oman/It-s-like-being-blackmailed-it-s-embarrassing-insulting

Finally, you do not have to submit your passport to Globnet for a Final Exit Visa. Do not allow the Globnet people to bully you on this issue. A final exit visa is done at the airport only. They will give you every excuse in the book. Don't budge.

Good luck!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need an exit visa in Oman - there is no such thing. What is happening at the airport is the cancellation of your labor card and work visa... and that is for the benefit of the employer so that he can get a new visa for a new employee. It actually has nothing to do with you or your exit.

VS
dorothy1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Visa Cancellation/Globnet Reply with quote

Dear VS: You are absolutely correct. It is a cancellation of the work visa, and it happens at the airport. So, there is no need to surrender your passport to Globnet or any private company in advance of this process. Just show up at the airport, go to the proper desk, return their labor card, get your passport stamped, and get on the plane. And, of course, say good riddance to the Globnet bullies! All this applies to those few people who give proper notice and resign. Most people just do runners with Globnet. You'd think the MOM would see the obvious pattern with that company.
StampLover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me if you want the real story with Globenet. I'm on my fourth contract with them and have had NO problem at all.

To clarify, very few, if none, do runners!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... do they hold your passport? If they do, why don't you mind? Is it always available on request if you need it?

VS
dorothy1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Globnet Reply with quote

I wrote the posts above about Globnet to support teachers. Many teachers have sent me private messages to thank me for my courage - and to share their serious problems with Globnet. The Company has its cheerleaders, but they are very few. What I have stated here is the truth, and it can be easily verified by asking around. I do not like bullies, and I do not fear them. I've done my best to draw public attention to the problems with Globnet. Thankfully, the MOM is now listening. So, this is my last post on this matter. Good luck.
WiseSheikh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: GLOBNET'S DEMISE Reply with quote

dorothy1 wrote:
Globnet's top Human Resources Manager (E.O.I.) behaves like a thug. His aggressive tactics may be appropriate in his country of origin, but not in a civilized society.

Dorothy 1,

I am so curious to know what this "thug" did to you. I have heard nothing but good things said about this person. If you had called him "sly", I may have even agreed with you - the guy is simply too smooth to be a thug!!!

The tone of your posts (I can't recall you posting anything else) on Globnet smacks of disgust and anger - what did E.O.I do to you? You seem to have it in for him and his company; it is almost like a fixation - check all your posts on Globnet.

My advice, not that you are asking - move on!!!!
newbienicki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would throw my two cents in. I m currently with GLOBNET on my second contract and I can't say I have had a horrible experience. The gentleman in question, E.O.I., I find to be quite a nice guy. I personally have had no problems with him. Yes, I understand that passports and diplomas have been kept until recently, but in all fairness I asked for my passport shortly after joining last year and was given it back, perhaps thanks to the efforts of Dorothy 1 and co. Globnet is by no means perfect, but if one is looking for the proverbial "perfect mule" with agencies in Oman one must go on foot. That said, I have had no problems to speak of thus far and couldn't say that I would tell someone not to work with them.
Vila

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear dorothy1

I appreciate your input. So, is it possible to see the actual contract before arriving? It is logical to offer the terms of contract before arriving, isn�t it, what is you don�t agree with some of them? With regards to the Visa, is it legal to arrive on a tourist Visa, and when applying for an employment one, you must give your passport, don�t you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: