Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turkish scam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crewmeal1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Turkish scam Reply with quote

Looking through the jobs list I came across this gem

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=26516

Does this mean if you paid the $250 you will automatically get a job?
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Turkish scam Reply with quote

crewmeal1 wrote:
Looking through the jobs list I came across this gem

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=26516

Does this mean if you paid the $250 you will automatically get a job?

I doubt it. I assume it's a placement fee, that they're disguising as a school requirement intended to prevent teachers from doing a runner, since I'm pretty sure that Dave's bans placement fees. (There are a ton of ads on Dave's that charge over a thousand dollars for job placement and disclaim that it's not a placement fee but rather something that they regretfully do due to weird�because they're completely made up by the company�legal circumstances. This would be on the cheap end)

Either that, or it's the cost of some permutation of the permits and legal documents required it'd be about half the cost of getting a work permit (when notaries and such are included), or the cost of getting a residency permit for the first time plus a bit extra for the agency to pocket. In that latter case "legal permits provided" clearly doesn't mean work permits.

But looking at the poorly-designed website, it's a recruitment company, and unless they're paid by the school it's surprisingly low for a placement fee (probably to get around all the people who know not to pay placement fees).

Regards,
~Q
jamallo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it doesn't say the fee is $250, but rather that the "deposit" is $250 so ultimate fee is anybody's guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: