Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The seven colleges (TATI) versus the three colleges (Hawthor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghost

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: The seven colleges (TATI) versus the three colleges (Hawthor Reply with quote

Just wondering about the differences about the outcomes for applying to the 7 colleges affiliated with TATI recruiters (Nizwa College, Ibri College, Al Musanna, Ibra College, Shinas, Salalah, HCT) or the three colleges affiliated with the Hawthorn recruitment organization - Sohar, Sur and Rustaq.

When looking at the Ibri academic calendar, I noticed that they are on the 5 times 8 weeks per year, with the academic year ending July 13. But I think the universities affiliated with Hawthorn (Sohar, Sur, and Rustaq) are on the 2 times 15 weeks per year system, with, in consequence a much earlier finish to the academic year and much longer leave time.

Anyone have experience, preferences for one system over the other. Also, how do the pay scales differ between the two different systems?

Thank you.

Ghost in Saudi
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hawthorn Colleges ARE Colleges NOT Universities even though they come under the Ministry of Higher Education. The 2x15 weeks refers to the teaching time, there is still exam time, marking, grade entry, etc on top of that. If working for Hawthorn you get 50 days paid leave in the first year and 60 days thereafter PLUS all the national and religious days on top. The other Colleges you are referring to are the Colleges of Technology as opposed to the Colleges of Applied Science. Do not be kidded by people referring to the Colleges of Applied Science as Universities, they are NOT any such thing, they are TEACHING Colleges where you will be contracted to teach up to 20 p.w. You will be told that classes are generally set at a maximum of 20, this is not true, they are often well above 30 students. On top of your teaching hours you have to do 4 hours of 'office hours' but even then cannot leave the College until 16.00 each day, start time is 08.00.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The college/university definition varies... in the US, they tend to be interchanged freely. But as to Gulf "universities," the debate on whether any of them are real universities has gone on forever. Laughing But, basically Oman gets to define it within their own country - for what it's worth.

It could be debated that most universities around the world are mainly to keep the kids off the streets... and hopefully by the end, they will be mature enough to hold a job. And I think it is particularly true in some of these rural Omani institutions (and Hawthorn's branches in particular). As a teacher, it starts to feel more like baby-sitting, and large classes of village boys can be a nightmare to keep in control.

VS
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If applying through TATI-narrow the MOM 7 down to 3- Nizwa, Salalah, and the HCT in Muscat.....believe me-you'll need a life away from the village idiots- and all the other inner town locations will drive you insane!
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
If applying through TATI-narrow the MOM 7 down to 3- Nizwa, Salalah, and the HCT in Muscat.....believe me-you'll need a life away from the village idiots- and all the other inner town locations will drive you insane!

But at least the one at Musannah/Maludda is only an hours drive from Muscat!
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
The college/university definition varies... in the US, they tend to be interchanged freely. But as to Gulf "universities," the debate on whether any of them are real universities has gone on forever. VS

The Colleges of Applied Sciences have no features of a 'real' University. There is no research culture, the students are not students, they are pupils who are taught to death, memorise information, spew it out (well some of it) at exam time and then forget it. There is no independent study, no critical thought but most of them leave with a 'degree' albeit as ignorant as when they arrived. There is the odd one who actually does learn but few and far between.
Chuma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that the colleges listed above accept teachers with a B. Ed. or BA English and I'm assuming there is a pay differential for qualifications and previous experience.

What salary could someone with an MA TESL and considerable experience expect?
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuma wrote:
I noticed that the colleges listed above accept teachers with a B. Ed. or BA English and I'm assuming there is a pay differential for qualifications and previous experience.

What salary could someone with an MA TESL and considerable experience expect?

Depends on who you're working for, agent or direct hire. About 1250 OMR with an agent (or 1000 OMR + free accommodation) and 1500 OMR (includes the accommodation allowance) if direct hire with the MOHE. I think the MOM pays a little less and less holidays. This is based on a Masters + four years post-Masters verifiable experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: