Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DON'T Give Original Diplomas to Universities

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tarte tatin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: DON'T Give Original Diplomas to Universities Reply with quote

When I was hired for my current job, I was given a list of required documents to submit. This list included original degree certificates and notarised copies. I have since found out that most other institutions do not ask for originals and they are not required by Y�K.

My institution keeps them to prevent foreigners doing a runner or changing employment and is still refusing to return mine. They do return them when you quit but are not helpful if you need them before then, or simply want to retain ownership of your originals.

My advice is to get notarised copies before you are hired and never let them get a glimpse of the originals. Do not hand them over.
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily I did that a while ago, the employer still insisted on the orginals which I gave gave, never seen them since!
Linguist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a case! Never heard that it happened to anyone when I was there.
tarte tatin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason they think they are holding us, what they don't seem to understand is that we can get replacements for them if we report them lost.

I didn't expect this treatment in a new university in Istanbul, Saudi Arabia maybe.
Moonshadow_51

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Diplomas Reply with quote

If someone here requests my Diploma, I ask, "Will you make a copy now and return it immediately?" The answer is and should be, "Yes."

The employer needs to see the original diploma; no one needs to take possession of it. YOK needs a copy that has been verified to be genuine, and your employer can photo copy and return your documents to you immediately.
lexharvey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: originals Reply with quote

hi

i am at a primary school and was asked by the recruitment agency to give originals fr the work visa. i said i didnt want to and i would get authorised copies/translations. then they suddenly needed them urgently and said i had to give originals so reluctantly gave them. do the work permit people in Ankara actually need originals-what do they require?

me and other teachers have asked how long it will be and they say they dont know. we suspect they want to keep them to prevent us from leaving. they actually sent me an email to say my papers have been sent back as name wrong or something. so am thinking to request my originals back and say i will get copies as i need them for a university course i want to apply for. if they resist i wont redo papers?

any views or past experience?
lucia79

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never given originals nor been asked to submit. I always had my originals copied, translated and notarized and that has been sufficient for the Turkish schools I've worked in and for the Ministry of Education.
tarte tatin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been promised mine back but still waiting. The work culture here is just so third world.
The Steakinator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do you copy them and then have the copy notarized or do you have the originals notarized and then photocopy the originals?
tarte tatin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the first step is to go to a translator, then take the originals and translations to the notar. I think it is the translations which are notarised if I remember correctly.

And I did get my originals back eventually, after a long fight:)
toyiki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: originals Reply with quote

I gave original copies of my diplomas for my first work permit and got it really quickly. For mys econd school they have asked me to give photocopies. I dont know what will happen but am waiting to hear if they need originals or if the process will take longer. They have assured me they dont need originals in order to get me a work permit. I thought it was because I had one previously..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave the original of my degree to one employer several years ago in China. Once I handed it over she proceeded to fold it up into a small square and put it in her purse . . . I got it back a few days later nicely creased Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: