Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Impossible to get a ESL job in Europe?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shiningstar21

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Impossible to get a ESL job in Europe?! Reply with quote

I am in the middle of my 130 hour TEFL certificate, which I plan to finish at the end of the month.

I am a British Citizen.

I have 'some' teaching experience, I.e. in my job although I'm not teacher per say, I do some teaching with adults and children.

I want to get job teaching English somewhere in Spain, Italy, Prague, Greece etc.
I tried China, but it's too expensive for the flights/visa. And Saudi Arabia is too scary for me Shocked

What are my chances of getting a teaching job in Europe? I don't need a high wage, just enough to live on and have the odd night out.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to Russia!
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was your certification course entirely on line or did it include real teaching practice with actual students, and feedback from teacher trainers on how you've done?

If your course didn't include the teaching practice, you will be at a disadvantage on the job market in all the areas you name. Most newbies on this job market have a CELTA or equivalent, including the supervised teaching practice, and reputable employers look for this.

Also, keep in mind that there are start-up costs here. Because there are lots of teachers around, reputable employers don't need to take chances on anyone sight-unseen, so the way to find work is to come over, pick a city, and hand out your CV in person. The big hiring season is NOW, with a smaller bump in January.

If you haven't got the funds to do this, wait and save up until you do. It's not safe to go abroad without a reasonable financial cushion anyway. You'll need enough for your flights, probably at least two months' housing costs, plus a bit to spare. Employers usually pay monthly, at the end of the month worked.

(You're not qualified for the ME anyway - they pay well and demand real quals for the money - related MA + experience, normally).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: