Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZU Journalism Teacher Fired and Deported

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: ZU Journalism Teacher Fired and Deported Reply with quote

And his wife was fired from ADEC.

http://mattjduffy.com/2012/08/ive-been-kicked-out-of-the-united-arab-emirates/

http://mattjduffy.com/2012/08/top-18-things-that-may-have-gotten-me-booted-from-the-uae/

We always need to remember where those "red lines" are when teaching in these countries. Teaching journalism is probably more fraught with "danger lines" than TEFL, but most of us know someone who crossed the line accidentally (or on purpose) and ended up "not renewed" or deported.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Arab Spring still fresh in the region, it pays to be extra sensitive and cautious about what we say and write and to whom.

"The first condition of progress is the removal of censorship." ~ George Bernard Shaw
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need to be a brave soul to teach Journalism ANYWHERE in the Gulf or ME ! Difficult enough teaching English !
Barbaros

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this comment from Terry Borden:
"People come to UAE for the easy tax free big bucks, let's be real, and in some isolated instances to help humanity in some way/shape, as a secondary objective, and while this is without a doubt the most progressive Arab country in the immediate region, it is still an Islamic autocracy and may/will open up, if at all, over many decades and very slowly, depending on how history unfolds, to become bitter over this historical fact is naive, and to force change out of pace with the natural development of this country and region is arrogant and egotistical and may even justify a pink slip. Matt's perspective and experiences are of course unique, but all of us expats here can easily become frustrated with the lack of certain freedoms and the inability to voice this, but really this has just as much to do with our own lack of understanding as it has to do with the control exercised over information in the UAE. Is democracy and the open press in the USA right now really doing anything to unite people, or does the loudest voice get the most attention. The media output in the cable news world is revolting, real reporting is dead and news is entertainment in the US now, is this what the rest of the developing world should be pushed into before they are ready? Just some thoughts, since open critique is encouraged...right? And by the way, I am sure Matt and his wife are professional, dedicated amazing people, I should think he would appreciate a different honest perspective from an interested reader."
http://mattjduffy.com/2012/08/ive-been-kicked-out-of-the-united-arab-emirates/
2buckets

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your mouth shut and put your money in the bank!
Badar Bin Bada Boom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well I like this comment from

Eliazia Mohammad on 29 August 2012

I am sorry about what happened it�s such a shame. I was a student in ZU and I was incessantly harrassed by the students for my outspoken views. What sort of education do they want? Everything I studied there was censored I never felt like I was getting an education I felt like I was being pushed in the midst of some sort of pandemic. Getting kicked out of ZU was the best thing that ever happened to me I don�t see the girls there going anywhere with their lives. The way you were just discharged makes me feel so frustrated at the state of things here. It is so very unfair I wish I�d had the chance to have met like minded people such as yourself teaching in ZU. Could have made a difference but since the UAE insists on keeping the people as backward as they are so it�s their loss. We shouldnt be afraid to speak out. It is a basic human right to be allotted that freedom. What is more disgraceful imho are people like Hiba and Mariam I cannot imagine what sort of upbringing could beget such ignorant idiocy. Best of luck to you and thank you so much for writing this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: