Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hungary - CETP Central European Teaching Program
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
della

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Hungary - CETP Central European Teaching Program Reply with quote

I'm finishing up my MA in TESOL (I have a BA in Linguistics) and I'm looking at going abroad to teach in the fall. I've poked around and found some info on teaching jobs in Hungary and the CETP (this thread had some good info: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=36912&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=cetp&start=0) but I'm curious to hear more opinions. I know some people are totally put off by the placement fee, but it sounds kind of worth it to me, and it sounds like the program is pretty legit. Anyone else have experience with them?

I studied Hungarian for a year as an undergrad (not that long ago, as I'm 23) so even though I'm a little rusty, I'm not super daunted by the language and I think I'd be okay in a smaller town. I've also got some family in western Hungary so I'd have family nearby.

Just looking for other opinions or experiences!
toteach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Survivors' opinions sought Reply with quote

I'm also curious about CETP. Can any alumni enlighten us with a post here?

Supposedly they place a lot of teachers in Hungary (only), but perhaps the survivors are few?
della

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up going with CETP. First of all, my experience with the folks who run it has been great. I decided it was worth it to pay the application/placement fee, but I did not pay them a cent until after I had multiple job offers. I emailed them my CV and they found jobs that matched my qualifications and experience, and only once I decided I definitely wanted to take one of those jobs did I sign on and pay the fees.

They place about 70 teachers, and the new teachers get a week-long orientation in Budapest before the school year starts (part of the program fee goes towards paying for this, because they put you up for the week). You get to meet all the other new CETP teachers who'll be teaching around Hungary, which gives you a built-in support system, as well as travel buddies if you're planning to travel on weekends. This year, there were around 30 returning teachers, and around 40 of us were new. 30 returning teachers isn't shabby, if you ask me.

Sometimes the job is challenging, because the Hungarian system is different and can be frustrating. But CETP is always willing to help you out if you run into any issues or miscommunications. They take care of you.

I've been here almost two months, and I've had some extreme ups and downs, but that's not really abnormal for moving abroad - and overall I'm feeling really positive about it. I'm keeping a blog - there are a whole bunch of teachers keeping blogs this year - so if you're interested in reading mine, you can find it here: http://greathungarianplain.wordpress.com

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know!
toteach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Participants DO exist! Reply with quote

I have lots of questions. I'll send you a PM shortly, o.k.? (But first I'll check out your blog...thanks!)
sharter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

How can you afford soup on that cruddy pay? C'mon $500 a month in Europe....you get more on the dole.
della

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that you don't pay for rent and the cost of living is lower in Hungary, that money goes a long way if you're not irresponsible or a total idiot about it. It's enough for travel, too. I'm headed to Vienna next weekend, Norway next month (where granted, my money will not go anywhere near as far) and to Copenhagen for New Years, I regularly travel around Hungary, and the other CETP teachers are off to Italy and Prague and other cities for Christmas. It's do-able.

You can do a lot with that much money when you're not paying rent from it. But you have to remember that this is a job - if you're looking for a cheap and easy way to make loads of money in Europe and skive off and travel around all the time, you're looking in the wrong place. And what you're looking for probably doesn't exist.
timjolin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: CETP Reply with quote

della, I'm curious about your initial experience with CETP. I'm planning on starting with them in 2012. Would you tell me about the application. It sounds like you simply sent them your CV before you even applied. Is that true?
della

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did. I emailed them around April or May, I think - simply to ask how late would be too late to apply, and they said to go ahead and send over my CV and they'd see if they had any jobs that fit! I was given two different offers before I decided to take one (I was also offered a job in China, and I was very up front with CETP that I had applied for that and was waiting to hear about it). Only after I decided to go with CETP did I pay them the application fee and program fee.
DayaM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several people have left reviews of the program here: http://www.goteachabroad.com/teach-in-hungary/central-european-teaching-program-in-hungary/543
toteach

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more CETP-ers out there want to give us a bit of a review of the program?

If not, I'll assume your silence means you're keeping a good thing to yourself!
sparks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, programs are rarely a good thing, it just means someone else is dipping into the money you earn to pay for costs of the program and/or make a profit. This one seems like a for profit, so I'd be a little careful. Plus one poster's glowing reviews seem a bit too positive. Usually every negative is not met with understanding and a positive twist. IMHO
BloodyIrish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in Hungary in about 2004-5, and was placed through CETP. I don't know if they're for profit...I suppose they must be, although I doubt it's terribly profitable. I thought it was a good set-up, insofar as the hassle of securing a job was taken out of your hands, and I managed to get a very good job at a university through it (I had no TEFL qualification at all, although I did have an MA in English lit). I also established a network of friends through the orientation program, including my girlfriend of seven years. That allowed me to travel to a lot of places where I could hang out with cool people and so on. (I wouldn't have said all the people on the course were my cup of tea, but I didn't hang out with them...)

On the negative side, there's the money...but they do smooth a lot of the red tape, which Americans probably had to deal with more than I did. THe main money issue I had with them was that they expected people staying for a second year to pay them another sum, for no reason that I could fathom. But anyone I know who was staying in the same place for the next year just ignored CETP, as their contract was with the school they were in. So...all in all I was happy with them. The type of job they'll get you will be within the state system, which was nice from my POV because it meant you had a guaranteed income, as well as a free apartment (although sometimes that was a mixed blessing, such as people in Budapest having to live in teachers' accommodation). If security and the guarantee of a job BEFORE arriving are important to you, go with them. If you'd prefer to go knocking on doors, there might be more money in that, with no handing over money at the outset (incidentally, they don't "dip in" to the money you earn. You pay them before you go to Hungary, they had nothing to do with my contract with the school). If you've got little or no TEFL qualifications that's risky business to my mind.

EDIT: Just looking around this site and reading a bit more about people's experience of CETP, I should make a few qualifications. First off, when I was there CETP was only placing about 15 teachers, which is a small fraction of the number they deal with now. I dunno if that affects how good or helpful their service is, but I guess it could mean you aren't given as much individual attention.

Second, someone on another thread was saying they are looking for 3,500 dollars to get you set up? That's significantly more than they used to charge, and would have a very real impact on my willingness to work through them. I paid them less than half that, although that was 7 years ago. The fact that their numbers are so much higher might indicate that they have a better hold over the job market than when I was there (the whole experiment seemed to be a labour of love at the time, and one they felt was under threat). It's also possible that the kind of job they provide you with may be different. But that's just speculation. Basically I'm saying my experience might not be all that useful as a signpost.
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: The pay Reply with quote

If you hitchhike around and eat bread and potatoes, I suppose the cash might just get you through a month.

I'm in Central Europe and spent $500 in two days of partying 2 weeks ago. And Della, you save enough to go to Norway and Denmark lmfao. A beer in Norway is $20....did you go by horse and cart or did you use a sky hook Wink?
timjolin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: CETP Reply with quote

My family and I have been in Hungary now for 6 months through CETP and we have had nothing but positive experiences. The red tape was gone and every other details was were taken care of.

As to the money. There are three of us and we can almost make ends meet. We are in a two bedroom flat with Internet, cable, all utilities and rent paid in addition to a monthly salary that allows us to live.

We are in a very good situation and have already re-upped for next year. the fee, though steep for the first year, has been worth it so that we have not had to struggle through the details. And, the fee includes a week in Budapest which is not a bad deal.
toteach

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: CETP Reply with quote

[quote="timjolin"]My family and I have been in Hungary now for 6 months through CETP and we have had nothing but positive experiences. The red tape was gone and every other details was were taken care of.

As to the money. There are three of us and we can almost make ends meet. We are in a two bedroom flat with Internet, cable, all utilities and rent paid in addition to a monthly salary that allows us to live.

We are in a very good situation and have already re-upped for next year. the fee, though steep for the first year, has been worth it so that we have not had to struggle through the details. And, the fee includes a week in Budapest which is not a bad deal.[/quote]

I see that you drank the cool-aid. How's it going so far? I'd love to know details of being in Hungary with a family... I'll PM you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: