Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where can I get a more immersive experience in Spain?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Where can I get a more immersive experience in Spain? Reply with quote

I am currently located in Barcelona and I finished my CELTA course days ago. I like Barcelona. However, it appears that you can get by in everyday life just by speaking English. Even some people who work at Burger King and Starbucks speak English.

That's not something I want to experience. Although my primary goal is to gain employment, I'd like it to be in a more immersive environment. I think it's kind of sad to live in a country, not learn anything about the language or culture, and rely solely on interaction with other English speakers.

Where can I go to avoid this kind of environment? I'd prefer to avoid rural, middle-of-nowhere areas of Spain. Otherwise, I'm open to all suggestions and recommendations.
Paper_Cat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I get a more immersive experience in Spain? Reply with quote

DosEquisX wrote:
I am currently located in Barcelona and I finished my CELTA course days ago. I like Barcelona. However, it appears that you can get by in everyday life just by speaking English. Even some people who work at Burger King and Starbucks speak English.

That's not something I want to experience. Although my primary goal is to gain employment, I'd like it to be in a more immersive environment. I think it's kind of sad to live in a country, not learn anything about the language or culture, and rely solely on interaction with other English speakers.

Where can I go to avoid this kind of environment? I'd prefer to avoid rural, middle-of-nowhere areas of Spain. Otherwise, I'm open to all suggestions and recommendations.

If you are considering a more immersive Catalonian experience whilst being relatively close to Barcelona you can opt for little towns like La Garriga and the greater Granollers area.

Alternatively you can try places like Salamanca, Zamora, Asturias e.t.c
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the job markets like there?

I'm under the impression that small cities have less competition but very few openings. Big cities have way more openings but a larger and more competitive pool of applicants since everybody wants to be there.

Anybody know a city that has the benefits of small and big city job markets?
Paper_Cat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DosEquisX wrote:
What are the job markets like there?

I'm under the impression that small cities have less competition but very few openings. Big cities have way more openings but a larger and more competitive pool of applicants since everybody wants to be there.

Anybody know a city that has the benefits of small and big city job markets?

Gijon

cheers

ps. Bring an umbrella
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gijon will be the next stop should Valencia fall through.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: