Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I ignore my Invite?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fievel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Can I ignore my Invite? Reply with quote

I'm waiting on my F visa to be processed after signing a contract with a teaching company in Beijing, which will then be switched to a Z once I get over there (I'd rather not mention the name of the company). I used their invitation letter for the application. I'm growing increasingly skeptical of the company and their ambiguity though, and am losing enthusiasm to work for them, fast.

I was wondering: Once I get my visa, can I just go to Beijing with out them knowing, arrange my own accommodations and search for a job with a different school or employer on the ground? Does that sound legal or like it would work at all?

I'd like to get over there soon and don't want to sit around going through more application and interview processes from across the ocean that would delay me further, but would kind of like to find a different school or company. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
vikeologist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that would be completely illegal. Your visa is linked to the employer, and if you don't take the job is completely worthless.

The visa will only be valid for one month. Your employer has to change it to a new one once you're there, and only your sponsoring employer could change it to the yearly one.

The employer has spent a lot of money getting the invitation letter for you. (I think maybe $500, but to be honest I;ve f've forgotten) Of course if you have serious reservations, then you should abort.

The employer may make things tricky for you geting another job in the same province. Maybe not, but it won't do any harm trying to make things ok with them.

Basically you're in a bit of a mess. You may not be able to get another job in Beijing, although i don't know how strict or organised the Public Security bureau in beijing are. (My guess is unbelievably strict).

Your options are

a) take the job after all
b) contact the employer, and try to smooth their feathers so they don't make trouble for you, then get a new job from where you currently are.
c) look for a job in another city / province

If you come to China on your current visa, you would be in China illegally. At best you would have to hope that you could exit the country to go to Hong Kong to get a new visa, but there's no guarantee. This would be a very bad option for a number of reasons. You'd actually be better off coming and looking for work on a tourist visa, which in itself would be a really stupid thing to do.

Bear in mind that Beijing are not amused with foreigners who are in the country illegally.
fievel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all I needed to know. Thanks for your help
Nkengaola

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even certain if an F visa can be changed to a Z visa. Maybe others know more?
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Can I ignore my Invite? Reply with quote

fievel wrote:
I'm waiting on my F visa to be processed after signing a contract with a teaching company in Beijing, which will then be switched to a Z once I get over there (I'd rather not mention the name of the company). I used their invitation letter for the application. I'm growing increasingly skeptical of the company and their ambiguity though, and am losing enthusiasm to work for them, fast.

I was wondering: Once I get my visa, can I just go to Beijing with out them knowing, arrange my own accommodations and search for a job with a different school or employer on the ground? Does that sound legal or like it would work at all?

I'd like to get over there soon and don't want to sit around going through more application and interview processes from across the ocean that would delay me further, but would kind of like to find a different school or company. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Are you sure you have the right visa information there?

If you do come on an F (business) visa then you won't be able to work legally anyway, lots of people do it though.

Most people coming from abroad enter China with their invitation letter and get a Z visa on arrival. This then gets converted to a residence permit within 30 days (by your school).
kungfuman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you come on a F VISA you are not tied to anyone or anything. It is for the purpose of coming to China for the purpose of engaging in business - not working.

With that said, you can come to China on the F VISA and do what you want. if you work keep in mind it may not be legal BUT you can decide not to stay with a company as they have no control over you.

While I am not advocating working on the F VISA many have done so and lived to tell about it. many posts about the pros and cons of it.

Make sure to get the f visa with the longest possible stay - for some countries it is 90 days before getting it renewed or having to leave China for a day. ( on a one year visa)
dean_a_jones

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is an actual F visa which is going to be changed into a Z visa (somehow, perhaps via a visa run to HK) or not changed at all (i.e. they want to get you to work illegally on an F visa) then kungfuman is right, once you arrive you can do as you please.

If you are getting your terminology mixed up and you are arriving on a Z visa, which is going to be converted into your residency permit, then you are tied to that school.
chinadad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to the job be careful they do not take away your passport. With an F you are free to do anything - to combat this problem schools will sometimes, give an excuse and try and hold an employees passport - thus giving them the holding power they lack with an F. If you have paid the visa fee yourself then you have no obligation to the would be employer, it's their own dumb fault that they forked out a sum of money for invitation letter to someone they have never even seen. Like a normal worker you can check them and their job over - if you don't like just leave - and don't believe any bull that the visa will be tied to the job.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinadad wrote:
If you go to the job be careful they do not take away your passport. With an F you are free to do anything - to combat this problem schools will sometimes, give an excuse and try and hold an employees passport - thus giving them the holding power they lack with an F. If you have paid the visa fee yourself then you have no obligation to the would be employer, it's their own dumb fault that they forked out a sum of money for invitation letter to someone they have never even seen. Like a normal worker you can check them and their job over - if you don't like just leave - and don't believe any bull that the visa will be tied to the job.

They'll need to take the passport in order to change the visa, assuming they're willing and able to that is.
dean_a_jones

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimmer wrote:
chinadad wrote:

They'll need to take the passport in order to change the visa, assuming they're willing and able to that is.

Yep. Every double edged coin has more than one side, as we say.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However if they are going to legally change the f visa to a z visa then then start the FEC process - and you will be aware of it as it involves a medical and -sometimes- an office trip - to a FEC office.

BUT they should not require your passport for more than a few days.

Whenever I gave up my passport I sternly asked WHEN i will receive it back. If the answer was more than a few days my response was typically a NO! - I know it only takes a few days to do this as I have do it before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: