Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions on the new regime

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notamiss

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Opinions on the new regime Reply with quote

John Ackerman (UNAM law professor and political commentator) is not as optimistic about the new regime as some other recent commentators.
Quote:
There has been a push in recent weeks to help Mexico overcome its "image problem" by overlooking news about drug violence, which has taken at least 60,000 lives over the past six years. Mexico, we are told, has become a model of successful economic development in Latin America. It supposedly has a burgeoning middle class, a well-established division of powers, and a free press. Meanwhile, Pe�a Nieto is painted as a pragmatist who is interested in establishing a close relationship with the United States and wants to implement fiscal, labor, anti-corruption and energy reforms. Recent pieces by Andrew Selee from the Woodrow Wilson Institute, Peter Hakim from the Inter-American Dialogue, Shannon O'Neil of the Council on Foreign Relations and Jorge Caste�eda in Foreign Affairs capture this dominant position well, as well as Pe�a Nieto's own article in The Washington Post.

According to this view, Mexico is supposedly moving in the right direction and the U.S. government, the media and civil society on both sides of the border should be patient with and support the country's new leader.

Such an approach is both wrong and dangerous.

The rest of the article: http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/12/mexicos-new-president-is-off-to-a-troubling-start/266082/
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are nuances of Mexican politics that are just not understood in the US. Or how stupid and incapable of running a country EPN really is. Or that the de facto president is Carlos Salinas, the biggest thief in the history of Mexico. I think it is going to be far worse than anyone can imagine. And his claim that he is going to reform labor laws - can�t decide if I want to laugh or cry.

Unrelated, but related in a way. The picture accompanying the article was about 4 blocks from where I live.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexico spent 12 years in fits and starts moving in the right direction...and I'm thinking a lot of what's happened legislatively and politically in those 12 years mean that Nieto cannot massively screw things up, at least not quickly. Congress is still fractured, so I'd watch how things align there on big issues.

Quote:
Otherwise, Mexico could follow the path of Egypt, where formally democratic elections have already given way to authoritarian politics under the leadership of Mohamed Morsi

Very poor comparison.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Phil_K

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Or that the de facto president is Carlos Salinas

Interesting to see that the new Secretary of Tourism is a niece of Salinas! Jobs for the boys (girls)

Quote:
and a free press

If we take "press" to mean the wider communications media, is that why Pedro Ferriz de Con was removed from CadenaTres for speaking in contra of EPN.

I haven't seen anything yet that shows that NewPRI is any different to OldPRI.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
nd I'm thinking a lot of what's happened legislatively and politically in those 12 years mean that Nieto cannot massively screw things up

That sounds like strong leadership! Shocked We don't need a president who just "doesn't screw up"; we need a visionary who can actually make a difference!
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:
Quote:
nd I'm thinking a lot of what's happened legislatively and politically in those 12 years mean that Nieto cannot massively screw things up

That sounds like strong leadership! Shocked We don't need a president who just "doesn't screw up"; we need a visionary who can actually make a difference!

There's noooooobody I can name in Mexican politics who fits that description. Neither Fox nor Calderon were visionary...capable technocrats who chose the right people to manage affairs around them instead of friends/family, but not visionaries in any sense. I'd rather that type than an AMLO who you could say is visionary...but those types are often given to a bit self aggrandizement are they not?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing notamiss.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:
Quote:

Well, that isn�t EPN, he barely has two brain cells to rub together. And seeing as how visionary is a four syllable word, I doubt if he even knows what it means.
notamiss

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obvs, but the question is really what is the vision of those who are holding the strings of the puppet. I don�t think it likely that that vision goes beyond consolidating their position to avoid another slip out of power, to make the 2000�2012 period seem like a forgettable glitch.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope Mexico improves over the next 6 years... Love or hate the PRI/EPN, Mexico needs some serious changes.

I hope the average Mexican can see a real improvement in life.

Best of luck amigos!
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Education Reform?

http://www.voxxi.com/pena-nieto-mexico-teachers-union/
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notamiss wrote:
Obvs, but the question is really what is the vision of those who are holding the strings of the puppet. I don�t think it likely that that vision goes beyond consolidating their position to avoid another slip out of power, to make the 2000�2012 period seem like a forgettable glitch.

Well, if you were here during Carlos Salinas� first term, then his second term should pretty much follow the same pattern.....steal as much as possible, and help family members steal as much as possible as well......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: