Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Women Traveling Alone

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roseyposey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Women Traveling Alone Reply with quote

Hello lady travelers!

I've done board searches and haven't found any relating to women travel. Has anyone gone abroad to teach solo, or plans to do so? I've wanted to go abroad to teach for years but I've been held back out of fear being a young woman traveling alone, unable to find a travel partner who wants to up and leave for another country.

Any travel buddies out there? lol. Would love to hear your gals experiences.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

France is more about your passport/country of origin than your gender. If you're from the UK, you're in. If not, France isn't a legal option anyway.

And of course there are thousands of female teachers on their own around. Shocked
roseyposey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
France is more about your passport/country of origin than your gender. If you're from the UK, you're in. If not, France isn't a legal option anyway.

And of course there are thousands of female teachers on their own around. Shocked

Yes you're very right, the bigger issue is definitely the fact that as an American it will be next to impossible to find a teaching post in France :/
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you marry an EU member citizen, it's not next to, it is basically impossible. Might be some sort of work/study deal through a legit university, but you'll be unlikely to make any money.
PeterBar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to post this yesterday, but my system had crashed:-

Spiral and I have set up a "meet your future partner site " for Americans, Canadians and Australians who want to work in the EU.

Check out www.eu-meetandmore.eu

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Women Traveling Alone Reply with quote

roseyposey wrote:

. . . I've wanted to go abroad to teach for years but I've been held back out of fear being a young woman traveling alone . . .

You're afraid of traveling alone? In France? Seriously? If you can't get over that, then TEFL really, really is not for you. Those whose anxieties loom larger than their sense of adventure will be miserable.

I'd suggest that you just take the plunge and try it out. Later in life we tend to regret the things we did not do (and wanted to) much more than the things we did. Common sense and reasonable caution are enough to keep you safe in most instances. And those rare instances when they are not enough are just as likely to occur in your home country as in most countries abroad. Including France! Wink

Fa'aitoito

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Women Traveling Alone Reply with quote

@ OP

psh... don't let that hold you back! I've travelled tons of times all by myself. If I waited to find someone to travel with I'd never leave the country! I've been to Europe 3 times and always by myself, the first time I was only 18. France is perfectly fine for a solo traveller, other than just the normal stuff in cities that's the same in any country. The only time I ever had problems in Europe was in a sketchy part of Brussels, and that was cause I was being a colossally stupid tourist, not because I am a woman. Smile I'd say the biggest problem in Europe is theft, which will happen regardless of being a man or woman. Just don't keep all your stuff in one place (passport, money, cards etc) be extra paranoid about that!

as for being American, if you are under 30, do check out the program for being an assistant language teacher. Its run by the government and places you with public schools as assistant english teacher. I'm not familiar with all details but I think you do have to have a certain level of French and be a recent student. I think there is information on the French consulate's American websites. I try to tell as many people as possible about this since I found out about it after I was too old.. It would have been perfect for what I wanted to do.

Otherwise there is working holiday visa for the under 30 crowd, one time only for up to a year. Check the French consulate website visa stuff, there might be something about it there.

another thing I was looking at was a program by Greenheart travel which has 3 month placements in host families in several different W Eu. countries including France. You provide 15 hours a week in English tutoring as part of staying there. Local language lessons can also be included. I havent found any reviews of the program for Western Europe countries (they also do teacher placements for Georgian government which there are plenty of reviews on) but it sounds like a good way to get one's feet wet travelling so to speak. It costs money though but living with a host family as your first travel experience would probably be great, especially if you need to learn a language. I am thinking of looking into myself for Spain. It can be any age and there are no visa requirements. (under the 3 month Schengen tourist entry)

anyways, i am rambling but travelling to Europe at 18 was the best thing I ever did in my whole life. Its scary but it really shows you what you are capable of!

@peterbar

lol! but link doesnt work Very Happy my dreams are crushed
PeterBar

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: @ Fa'aitoito Reply with quote

I wanted to post on April 1st as a "poisson d'avril"

Obviously my pedestrian sense of humour had an underwhelming effect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: