Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have You Taught At TQLS Kuwait?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRJohn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Have You Taught At TQLS Kuwait? Reply with quote

I applied for a job at TQLS and the application is nearly ready to be sent off.
But what is it like to work with them? One thing that makes me wonder me is why it is that they keep saying that the job will start at such and such a date and then they delay it to a later date.
This employer is interested in me. But do they really want a computer wizard?
Be here now

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TQLS has been a really good company to work for. This is my second year.
sharter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: TQLS Reply with quote

They pay on time. You want to ask how many got fired or didn't return last year? You're likely to get good feedback from the teachers who were cover teachers....afterall they spent/spend much less time with the students. Whatever, go there with a can't do approach and you'll have an easier life.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This organization has had a very up and down reputation over the years. They used to be famous for bringing bunches of teachers in and then saying "oops, we didn't actually get the contract so we don't need you...bye..." which left many teachers in the lurch as far as employment.

From posts for the last year or so things have seemed stable, but be prepared and keep expectations low. Many have used it as an entry job to get Gulf experience on their CV.

So JRJohn, it sounds like they may not know for sure if they need you, but are keeping you on the hook in case they do. Meanwhile you should keep looking for a job in case it falls through or you find something better.

VS
mustafabeer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wise words, VS. History has a habit of repeating itself with this particular employer. It's no coincidence that TQLS advertised for 5 teachers recently but no newbies were taken on.

Sounds like JRJohn is on the standby list and when someone quits or runs away, TQLS will be panicked into getting a replacement teacher pdq. That's when JRJohn can expect a call ...

Take VS's advice, OP, and keep searching for a job. If and when a better offer comes along, take it. You'll be glad you did.
sharter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

The stunt they pulled last year was the voluntary leave one. It's a short-term gig to do when in need...they know that and that's how you get treated really. The classes were doled out unfairly. There were also quite a few drama queens. That said I also met some really good people there. Do it if you have nothing else and enjoy Al-Mangaf, it will make you appreciate things later on. The contract leaves you with no option but the runner once you've had enough.....I enjoyed the moonlight flit.
cfaulkner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as if they're not worthy of the risk. I'd pass.
mustafabeer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: yep Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
The contract leaves you with no option but the runner once you've had enough

"On your marks ... get set ... go!"

The runners have started Very Happy
sharter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: and Reply with quote

And that means you can never go back to Kuwait. I'm still weeping.......with joy.

BTW-the other thread got locked....me and a couple of pals looked at tonnes of places and couldn't find anything bearable for less than 450KD and that was in Fahaheel and Mangaf.....Salmiya was pricier and miles away from work.
mashkif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: and Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
And that means you can never go back to Kuwait. I'm still weeping.......with joy.

BTW-the other thread got locked....me and a couple of pals looked at tonnes of places and couldn't find anything bearable for less than 450KD and that was in Fahaheel and Mangaf.....Salmiya was pricier and miles away from work.

***SIGH*** I don't know where exactly you've been looking. Or perhaps our definitions of "bearable" diverge greatly.

O.K., I'll spot you one. Shaikha Towers in Mangaf 4. Two bedrooms, spacious, furnished, 350 K.D. Lots of U.S. contractors are staying there.

You're welcome.
sharter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: and what? Reply with quote

But you're still in Mangaf.....a complete wasteland. We looked at places with pools. There's naff all to do around there except go to the gym, smoke a sheesha and drink endless amounts of coffee. Yep there's the flash and JD at $150 a bottle but there's really nowhere decent to go out and no female company unless you pay for it. Nice.......
mashkif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: and what? Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
But you're still in Mangaf.....a complete wasteland. We looked at places with pools. There's naff all to do around there except go to the gym, smoke a sheesha and drink endless amounts of coffee. Yep there's the flash and JD at $150 a bottle but there's really nowhere decent to go out and no female company unless you pay for it. Nice.......

Your original contention was that even in Mangaf no decent accommodations could be had for less than 450 K.D. I gave you an example off the top of my head that demonstrates otherwise. Come to think of it, a former colleague of mine is renting a gigantic two-bedroom apartment in a villa for less than 250 K.D., a few block to the north of Shaikha Towers. It's unfurnished, however.

As far as your other comments, I really can't see how having or not anything to do with yourself is a matter of accommodations.

Strange logic. I hope you're not actually a teacher! Very Happy
sharter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

It's all part of the same general picture.
JoeRomano

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The turn over is horrible. People disappear in the middle of the night, some do runners and some are fired at whim. If you get hired to teach at the KPC, you are basically in a contest. There is a lady who does observations and you need to get a certain number of points. If you don't get those, you are out. It reminds of of the Gong Show.
Americans usually cannot pass it. Seen Americans just taken to the main office and put on the plain the next day.
No job stability at all. Most people do not last.
Don't work for them.
middeastgirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: TQ Reply with quote

I did a year with them, '04-'05. They did pay on time, and the housing was decent. The dude running the show, H.E. aka, "The Plumber", is as underhanded as they come, though. Know your rights under the Kuwait MOE.

If things go belly up on a contract, they'll leave you hanging in the wind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: