Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reassure me- what do you like about Russia?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lechatbleu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reassure me- what do you like about Russia? Reply with quote

So I've signed a contract and assuming all things go smoothly, will be leaving in mid-September.

I've been lurking and reading old threads for awhile, so I do feel like I jumped in with eyes open, with an idea of what to expect (bad pay, hard work, long hours, disorganization, etc) and I'm fine with all that.

But it seems like many on this forum have been there a long time, so there must be things keeping you there, so...

What do you like about it?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be brutal, for most males it is the sheer quantity and quality of available girls. Nowhere else like it, except for Poland and the Ukraine etc. Most females do not tend to hang around beyond one or two contracts.

However, for myself, it has to be the purity of the vodka here. Again, nothing else compares. Then there is the high culture, whether it be opera, orchestral music, ballet, literature, visual arts, architecture, there's plenty of it. History buffs are fully occupied also. Those who want to learn Russian are in the right place. The country is also vast, and opportunities for exotic travel within its borders are greater than most countries.

Finally, the students themselves are for the most part really great learners. Most will learn enough to communicate fairly well, even the weaker ones, and some others will excel. Quite satisfying to have a role in that learning process. Of course, teaching here can also be very rewarding financially too, once you get your bearings.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, I should mention that in the Motherland there are many joys, the greatest being that it is the Workers' Paradise and blessedly piggie free.
DuckSeason

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eat the pig, eat the pig... ziggy ziggy ziggy zig!!!
maruss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Well done Sasha! Reply with quote

We can always rely on you to be honest and up-front!
In my case I would add that one of the things I most liked about Russia was knowing that I had a foreign passport(2 actually!) and could leave any time I wanted to and go to a wide choice of countries,unlike many of the people there who would give anything to have been in my position!
I'm not going to influence you or spoil it by saying any more now but do keep us posted about how you are getting on-and enjoy your unique opportunity to sample all the things Sasha described!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, come on, Maruss! Admit you loved every second you spent here! Come on, now! Say you did!
MadGoldfish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the language, which is obviously amazing, I think the best thing about Russia is the people themselves.

They're incredibly open, generous, and full of character.

Sure they look miserable in public but get to know them and you'll find they really know how to have fun. Well to be fair this won't take u long, just wait 2 weeks until the first festival rolls round!
jonniboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
To be brutal, for most males it is the sheer quantity and quality of available girls. Nowhere else like it, except for Poland and the Ukraine etc.

The lassies in the Baltics are definitely worth a look too... nice mix of Russian meets proto Scandinavian. With a long term partner here in Riga I often feel like a monk in a brothel.

Definitely one big plus in this part of the world is the value placed on education and learning. The students are very motivated and native speakers are highly prized and sadly that can't always be said for the southern European countries.
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Sasha,you are very frank once again!! Reply with quote

The truth is that although there were times when I enjoyed it,for various reasons- and many were not the ones most people probably presume-there were not just minutes or hours but also days and even weeks when I really hated the place for one reason or another!Overall if asked whether I gained from the experience the answer would be.....yes,I learned a lot from it,not just about how people there live and about how lucky we are in the west about so many things we tend to take for granted,but also about myself and my own values........
If asked if I would recommend it as a country to live in long term or even permanently,the the answer would be a definite NO!For a start the ecology in Moscow is so poor in many areas that the damage to your health from air pollution etc, is like smoking two or three packs of cigarettes per day!That for me more than justifies my opinion!
MadGoldfish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonniboy wrote:
With a long term partner here in Riga I often feel like a monk in a brothel.

Laughing Well put! I'm gonna have to steal that one Cool
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty much all those things above. Also, i especially like the fact that i don't have to converse with the till ladies in shops. When i am in the UK it drives me nuts having to go through the how are you's/weather etc.. When all you are trying to do is buy something! I don't think anyone has ever asked me a question in a shop - not even 'where are you from?' upon hearing my dodgy accent...
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't they enquired politely as to whether you may by any chance have the exact coinage in your pocket to complete the transaction?
yoga2012

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thread as I'm in the process of deciding whether to head to Russia or Indonesia for my next teaching abroad experience after several years in S. Korea. Help me please! LOL.... Idea I need to make a decision before October....
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really tell you which place to choose. Well, I can, but that wouldn't help much. Depends what you're after.

Ah, heck! Just come to Russia!
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Sasha is there fior the booze and the wimmin !!??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: