Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey, non-EUs in Barcelona . . .
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, but passport control usually means an official, in this case the UK Border Agency, checking the details of your passport - i.e. swiping the ID page, accessing data stored on the biometric chip, checking visas, entry dates, stamping the exit date, and any other pertinent security details. What the pretty young airline stewardess does with your passport at the check-in desk bears no relation to this. All good news for the OP, as she shouldn't have the unpleasantness that she had on entering the UK.

Uspech, please report back and let us know how everything does work out.

PS it might be a good idea to retain your boarding card stub - this seems to be the only paperwork we ever get these days to verify that we leave the UK at a certain date.
Perilla

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
What the pretty young airline stewardess does with your passport at the check-in desk bears no relation to this. All good news for the OP, as she shouldn't have the unpleasantness that she had on entering the UK.

I don't wish to drag this out any further, because I suspect the essence of what you're saying is correct, but just want to point out that it's not just the airline staff that look at your passport on the way out - there is a control desk with (usually) decidedly unattractive fellas having a (usually) quick look at your passport immediately as you enter the departures zone. Anyways, good luck to the OP - I have a healthy dislike of border controls - they're not natural, are they?
reddevil79

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to back up Perilla here, I have flown in and out of a few British airports the past 18 months and what has been said is true: passports are checked when leaving and entering the UK. Maybe there was a slight lapse during the Olympics?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but checked by whom when you were leaving? Certainly not the UKBA on the prowl for visa offenders - which was my only point. No inspection of visas, or dates. No exit stamps. No stress in front of an official passport controller's desk. The security guard outside the metal detectors who gives a cursory glance at your boarding card and passport ID page is a totally different manner of beast. He just wants to check you actually have a flight to catch and should be in that area. He is not concerned with your possible status as an illegal alien.

The basic policy is if you are illegal, and leaving, then good luck to you and get out. Try getting back in, however...

Just to put all this into perspective, try processing through a Russian airport. Before you get anywhere near Departures you'll find very long queues for all passengers who need to wait in line before armed, uniformed security guards who are perched in bullet-proof "Passport Control" kiosks, and who have the power to detain you for whatever reason, and who check every last detail of your passport, and any possible record of debts and crimes in Russia, before they eventually stamp your papers and allow you through the barrier. You may even miss your flight because of any delays arising from this. This is in no way the same as what happens in London, regardless of the Olympics. To say otherwise, is not to know how lucky you are.

The OP can let us know how she gets on
uspech

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey everyone,

I'm here in Barcelona and no border agents gave me any grief along the way.
For one, flying out of Glasgow there weren't official border agents - it's all in the hands of the airline flight attendant who checks you in. He gave me a stamp on my boarding pass that said VISA OK.
Don't know if he was bothered enough to go through my passport thoroughly or not, or if he just doesn't know all the schengen/non-schengen rules.

Upon arriving here I just said "Hola, que tal?" as a poster here suggested. The agent didn't say a word, just gave me a stamp.

So far I'm gathering privates through tusclasesparticulares and have a couple interviews.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Upsech

Glad to hear you were not molested by any powers-that-be on your trip to Spain. Best of luck to you getting your situation sorted out.

Cheerio!

Sasha

PS - keep your boarding-card stub if you are thinking of returning to the UK any time in the nearish future. It is the only piece of paper you have that proves you didn't over stay in the UK on your last visit.
pwlivingstone2706

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: My view... Reply with quote

is that you'll be working illegally, and working without any health care, or access to employment rights (such as they are these days)...

If any private students want to use you to drive down the price that the legal teacher can charge (and they do), ok...

But if I ever find out an academy is hiring illegals I'll do my best to anonymously report them...

as I am quite sure that they're exploiting the teachers and the students by paying the teachers an under the table cash in hand rate of about �8 euros an hour and charging the students the normal rate...

I hope you have good medical insurance that isn't made null and void by working illegally in the EU whilst "on holiday"

I would advise you to find a way to become legal ...
maruss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Leaving U.K. Reply with quote

The main reason apparently why they don't usually check,apart from ensuring that you have a passport of some kind is because wanted persons are listed on the computers at airline check-in desks so if you are one of them you probably won't even get as far as the entrance to the area where security checks take place!
As for checking that passengers have visas for countries of destination where required,airlines get fined $2000 for every passenger they carry without visas if they are refused entry and this is an international regulation which has been in force for decades.....
maruss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Leaving U.K. Reply with quote

The main reason apparently why they don't usually check,apart from ensuring that you have a passport of some kind is because wanted persons are listed on the computers at airline check-in desks so if you are one of them you probably won't even get as far as the entrance to the area where security checks take place!
As for checking that passengers have visas for countries of destination where required,airlines get fined $2000 for every passenger they carry without visas if they are refused entry and this is an international regulation which has been in force for decades.....
maruss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Leaving U.K. Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: