Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is English Fever Finally Abating?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haleynicole14

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Is English Fever Finally Abating? Reply with quote

RPMcMurphy wrote:
There's no evidence that NESTs produce graduates with a better standard of English than NNESTs,

I would wonder about the actual research done on this. My thought would be that a fluent NNEST could likely teach just as well as a NEST, but most of the English teachers of Chinese nationality that I met while teaching in China had fairly poor-to-mediocre English speaking skills. I'm sure that this is not the case of all NNESTs, and I was working in a middle school where they only really needed to know the basics very well. But there were a lot of times when, even though we were all speaking in English, we still had major communication issues or misunderstandings.
RPMcMurphy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Is English Fever Finally Abating? Reply with quote

haleynicole14 wrote:
RPMcMurphy wrote:
There's no evidence that NESTs produce graduates with a better standard of English than NNESTs,

I would wonder about the actual research done on this. My thought would be that a fluent NNEST could likely teach just as well as a NEST, but most of the English teachers of Chinese nationality that I met while teaching in China had fairly poor-to-mediocre English speaking skills. I'm sure that this is not the case of all NNESTs, and I was working in a middle school where they only really needed to know the basics very well. But there were a lot of times when, even though we were all speaking in English, we still had major communication issues or misunderstandings.

There has been research done into this area.
"Language teaching is a science, an art, and a skill that requires complex pedagogical preparation and practice. Therefore, not all speakers may make good teachers of their first language" [Canagarajah, A.S.[1999]
My point is that the vast majority of NESTs in China have little or no TESOL education. I certainly didn't work with any in my five years there! In fact, only a few had previous teaching experience at all, which is comparable to someone with a first aid course working as a theatre nurse!

So we have what is termed "The Native Speaker Fallacy", the idea that an untrained NEST will do a better job than a trained NNEST.
In my current MA TESOL course, 70% of students are non-native speakers. All are intending to return home to pursue their teaching goals. I believe that future jobs for NESTs will be for those people who can at least match NNESTs credentials. This latter group has several other significant advantages -perhaps for another thread.

For more reading, see Medgyes, P. [2006] in M. Celce-Murcia [ed] Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language.
fred13331

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Language teaching is a science, an art, and a skill that requires complex pedagogical preparation and practice. Therefore, not all speakers may make good teachers of their first language" [Canagarajah, A.S.[1999]

That is an opinion, not research
RPMcMurphy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fred13331"]There has been research done into this area.

That is an opinion, not research[
/quote]

I didn't say it was research, although when an academic gives an opinion it is invariably research based. I really can't be bothered putting together a reading list for this forum, but the following writers are a start:
Medgyes 1994, Braine 1999, Higgins 2003, McArthur 2001.
This phenomena is called The Native Speaker Fallacy, and is well researched. I can imagine that many people wouldn't want to believe it though, especially when its their jobs that are under threat.

But back to the topic. My contention is that "learning" English in China, and other expanding circle countries, is for the great majority a waste of time and resources. Once governments wake up to this [as the ROK is starting to do], they will cut back on funding and the job market will shrink. Employing two qualified NNESTs as opposed to one NEST for the same price [no research, just a guess] must make sense. Genuine qualified "foreign experts" will still find work, but salaries will have to be addressed.
fred13331

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RPMcMurphy"]
fred13331 wrote:

That is an opinion, not research[
/quote]

I didn't say it was research, although when an academic gives an opinion it is invariably research based. I really can't be bothered putting together a reading list for this forum, but the following writers are a start:
Medgyes 1994, Braine 1999, Higgins 2003, McArthur 2001.
This phenomena is called The Native Speaker Fallacy, and is well researched. I can imagine that many people wouldn't want to believe it though, especially when its their jobs that are under threat.

But back to the topic. My contention is that "learning" English in China, and other expanding circle countries, is for the great majority a waste of time and resources. Once governments wake up to this [as the ROK is starting to do], they will cut back on funding and the job market will shrink. Employing two qualified NNESTs as opposed to one NEST for the same price [no research, just a guess] must make sense. Genuine qualified "foreign experts" will still find work, but salaries will have to be addressed.

I looked up one at Random - Braine and found this

''it was written by one of the forefathers and highly acclaimed leaders of the NNEST movement, George Braine, who himself is a prolific researcher and dedicated NNEST, and the founder of the NNEST Caucus within TESOL,''

Medgyes is mentioned in the same article - a NNEST also. I read around the articles a little - basically what you have here is a group of NNESTs saying how great they are, and how rubbish NESTs are. They justify their statements by quoting each other, but, there was no data, just rehashing biased opinions and vested interests.

I know some great NNESTs and NESTs - both are needed, in my opinion. But that is all there is here - opinions, there is not one screed of verifiable statistical analysis
RPMcMurphy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fred13331 wrote:
basically what you have here is a group of NNESTs saying how great they are, and how rubbish NESTs are. They justify their statements by quoting each other, but, there was no data, just rehashing biased opinions and vested interests.

I know some great NNESTs and NESTs - both are needed, in my opinion. But that is all there is here - opinions, there is not one screed of verifiable statistical analysis

This is like saying that feminist arguments can't be given credence because most of their proponents are women! And I don't think "screed" was the word the last poster was searching for.

Whilst pure linguistics can be amenable to computer modelling and number crunching [e.g. the concept of Linguistic Distance], TESOL is a different animal. It is dynamic and eclectic with any number of hypotheses out there. All have a rational basis and deserve to be treated seriously, not dismissed using arguments resounding of linguicism.

Last edited by RPMcMurphy on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
roadwalker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Chinese NNESTs aren't sufficient to teach English to Chinese students, without a corps of NESTs to complement the faculty. Chinese English teachers are capable and often very talented, but the problem isn't that they are non-native speakers, but that they are native speakers (of Chinese). The pressure to explain in Chinese, and the relative comfort of doing so as opposed to explaining in English insures that there will be few instances of immersion or anything close without foreigners.

Non-Chinese NNESTs don't have the same problems, since explaining in Italian, French, Russian or what-have-you is not an option. From the students' perspective, the comfort level associated with a Chinese teacher is already gone. There may be some areas where all but the native speaker or genuinely bilingual teacher will be at a disadvantage. But the non-Chinese and Chinese NNESTs may find the perspective of having learned English as a foreign language useful in teaching as well.
Lobster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who have very good language and teaching abilities and skills can teach. Those who don't, can't. It doesn't matter if they are NESTs or NNESTs.

RED
RPMcMurphy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lobster wrote:
People who have very good language and teaching abilities and skills can teach. Those who don't, can't. It doesn't matter if they are NESTs or NNESTs.

RED

True, to a point. However, language teaching isn't some random exercise which some people are good at and others not, de facto. Its a craft you need to study and practice.
And so, why do unqualified, unproven NESTs land jobs in China and elsewhere?
Why can't qualified and proven non-white NESTs get jobs?
The whole system stinks.

But my main point, which keeps getting ignored, is that the gold rush is over. English acquisition isn't as necessary as people used to think it was. For some, it still is, but only some. 440 NEST [EPIK scheme] positions are to disappear from Seoul's middle and high schools by February [korea times]. The annual cost of maintaining a NEST is 46 million won, more than double the cost of a NNEST. Would you get your Mercedes serviced by a German if a Korean did it for half price, and possible did a better job? It's just an inevitable reality....good times don't last forever.
roadwalker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing lasts forever, but I haven't seen any reason native English teachers won't be in demand for the foreseeable future. Wait, isn't this 2012? Aren't we running out of Mayan calendar? Jobs might be the least of our concerns, or no concern at all.

On the other hand, teaching will probably still take place in some form, if there is indeed a 2013. As far as I'm concerned, unless the sky actually falls, no need to worry.
Lobster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And so, why do unqualified, unproven NESTs land jobs in China and elsewhere?

Because demand outstrips supply. If they can't get a qualified NEST they settle for an unqualified one. Or, from a financial perspective, the unqualified may be cheaper.

Quote:
Why can't qualified and proven non-white NESTs get jobs?

Because the demand is for white NESTs. If you don't understand Chinese preferences in this regard, perhaps you're not experienced in the China market.

Quote:
But my main point, which keeps getting ignored, is that the gold rush is over. English acquisition isn't as necessary as people used to think it was.

Where is the statistical evidence to support this claim? Fact is, English is still part of the primary and secondary school systems. More western companies are locating here and are requiring managers to communicate in English. Parents still need English school babysitters for their kindy and primary aged children. Travel to western countries is increasing.

It seems you're in K-land and are comparing the situation there to that in China, and that's a mistake. K-land and J=land are much further down the road than China. Sure, only some require English, but if that's 1% of the population it's still one heck of a lot of people.

Quote:
...language teaching isn't some random exercise which some people are good at and others not, de facto. It's a craft you need to study and practice.

Actually, I don't agree with this. Sure, someone can master the nuts and bolts of teaching, but it takes a certain personality and energy to be a good teacher. There seems to be an underlying discontent in your posts that you aren't bringing to the surface.

RED
fred13331

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPMcMurphy wrote:

This is like saying that feminist arguments can't be given credence because most of their proponents are women!

No it is like saying you should listen to both sides of a story, not just one. I am sorry, I thought that was blatantly obvious to anyone with a screed of common sense.

''And I don't think "screed" was the word the last poster was searching for. ''

Then you would be wrong, screed was exactly the word I was looking for. Please, please challenge me on this.

Are you sure phenomena was the word you were looking for. Are you sure? Are ya?

''This phenomena is called The Native Speaker Fallacy, and is well researched. I can imagine that many people wouldn't want to believe it though, especially when its their jobs that are under threat.''
Guerciotti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth I generally agree with Roadwalker and Fred on this "English Fever" idea.

It is not English Fever, it is not a fad or passing fancy. OP, your premise fails as a matter of fact. You may want to choose another subject for your thesis. Regretfully you seem fully vested in this conclusion. Sad.

It, English, happens to be the lingua franca. China happens to include English on various exams including the Gaokao, CET-4 and CET-6. You can easily replace an iPhone but you can't easily substitute the lingua franca.

China may eliminate the 'problem' of unqualified NESTs at any time by substantially raising NESTs pay and, dare I say it, required qualifications. This will not happen. The question is academic and, in my humble opinion completely uninteresting. Seoul may discontinue various programs. China is vast.

OP apparently wants to promote the idea that positions for your average NEST shall disappear soon to motivate his master's studies in this subject area. Fine, go get your master's. I hope you enjoy the studies and reap the rewards. Meanwhile, try not to take yourself so seriously.

Thousands of amateurs, like myself a few years ago, will come to China and teach English with mixed results. If China decides this is a problem, the ball is in their court. China can make decisions to change the current paradigm, but so far they have not.

Oh, yes, please don't wear yourself out making a reading list for us mortals. The contributors on this forum appear to take their work seriously, though as expected differences do arise. I think it's safe to say we don't need your patronizing assistance in our choice of reading material.

OP may say the sky is falling, but everything is fine here, though it did rain almost all day. There's a big difference between NNESTs and NESTs, but apparently the distinctions are lost on the OP.
Ariadne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, here!! Hear, hear!! Both apply.

RPMcMurphy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see I've touched raw nerves and the laager has formed. Fred said something about vested interests and biased opinions which, ironically, could now be applied to many of the posts above. Given that the average stay for an FT in China is only one year [SBFE], most of you will be long gone before the changes I anticipate occur, so good luck in your new lives, which probably won't involve teaching unless a new field opens up. This could well be Indonesia. India will pass on the need to employ the inner circle to teach them a language many millions speak already..

English Fever [Krashen's term-read his article http://www.sdkrashen.com/articles/fever/01.html - but a web search brings many interesting results] peaked in China in the 2000's, coinciding with the Olympics and China's booming economy. The first has long gone, with millions of shop assistants and taxi drivers having sat through hundreds of hours of tedium unnecessarily. The second is slowing markedly. In 1997 I was the sole FT at my university. I revisited in January, and there were 15. Proof you might think that the goldrush continues? The FAO said most departing FT's weren't being replaced. A similar scenario existed when I revisited Shanghai. My old university felt it simply wasn't a worthwhile exercise. They'll keep on a few for English majors [who DO benefit from having NESTs], and for PR purposes. So people won't actually lose their jobs, but simply not be replaced. I think the Korean figures I quoted earlier [one NEST costs the same as two NNESTs] are significant. No matter how grand a job you and your students think you're doing, few number crunchers in accounting could ignore that.

There is a lot of disquiet regarding English as a compulsory part of the Gao Kao, as well as the first two years of uni/college, because its simply not needed by most, and is resented by many. If you want some stats. send your communicatively competent majors out to survey the vast majority of "hello" students, and see what they think of the Gao Kao and CET4! Maybe they have attained some basic literacy, with the remote possibility that they'll have to read or write something in English sometime in the future, but does this justify the cost, not to mention the time spent? Of course English is the Lingua Franca, but when numbers of people "learning", or who "know" English worldwide are quoted, how many of these are communicatively competent, or use the language in their daily lives?

And yes Lobster, my comment on non-white NESTs was rhetorical. China is racist. Colour is more important than quality, luckily for many but unluckily for others. In Shanghai in 2004 I was recruiting for my university. By far the best candidates were not white, or even inner circle in one case. I had to battle prejudice and rationalisation ["parents want white teachers!"] to get these teachers on board , but won and was justified by their performances. Comments that I don't know China are well wide of the mark.

And finally, a hypothetical exercise, imagine this. You are the parent of a ten year old back home, wherever that may be. Mandarin had been declared a compulsory school subject. You might agree, you might not, but you have no say. Your government decides to bring in thousands of native-speaking Chinese to teach the subject. Most speak little English, some none at all. A few are fluent. Most have a degree from China, be it in Archaeology, Physics, History. Only a few have teaching qualifications though, and not many know how to teach a language. These new people will have airfares paid, housing provided and will generally be paid more than local trained teachers.
How do you feel about your child in this situation? Is it educationally sound?

As for "screeds" [sic] of data and analysis, here's a starting point from George Braine. Although, as a non-NNS, he's probably not worth reading.

http://scholar.google.com.au/scholar_url?hl=en&q=http://www.springer.com/cda/content/document/cda_downloaddocument/9780387245669-c2.pdf&sa=X&scisig=AAGBfm0AYCBT_pfABWJlWGXB3U0IhkVJqQ&oi=scholarr&ei=nXlRUJ6gCeuTiQe_84HYAg&sqi=2&ved=0CBwQgAMoADAA

Anyway folks, thanks for a lively debate. Certainly more interesting than "Where's the best city to live" for the 500th. time.

Last edited by RPMcMurphy on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:15 am; edited 6 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: