Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

taught on student visa, now want Z and workpermit- problems?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclenacho

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: taught on student visa, now want Z and workpermit- problems? Reply with quote

While on a student visa last year, I taught English on a temp/part time basis at a large chain school in China. I am now considering going back to China to teach on a proper Z visa sponsored by a school (most likely a public university). I�m concerned about if/how I should state my prior teaching experience. Obviously I want a potential employer to know that I already have experience in and familiarity with China. On the other hand, I don�t want this to cause problems when they have to list my work experience (minimum 2 years?) when applying for a work permit on my behalf. When submitting my resume I could simply omit my part time teaching experience in China or redefine my status as �intern� or �trainee� at that school�Any suggestions? Thanks!
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard.
Can you characterise your teaching as part of your student course work?
'As part of my studies I was encouraged to interact with the ordinary (non uni) population. I did this as a teacher aide/support person'.
Dumb down the fact that you were a salaried teacher with your own classes.
The hiring uni is the best ally. They'll schmooze the visa through if they want you badly enough. You don't have to solve all the problems yourself.
Best
doogsville

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your CV/resume is for the potential employer, not the PSB who will issue your Z visa and resident permit (as far as I know). Just put down your teaching experience as is. I taught for four months on a tourist visa when I first came to China, because I fell for the 'we will get you z visa when you get here' scam. I still put that time on my CV even though I was working illegally. If I am ever questioned about it I will tell the truth, I was lied to. So far no one has asked any questions, and I'm working in the same province, just a different city.

Your story is different, and I get the impression you knew you were breaking the law by teaching, but hey, this is China, so put it on your CV and see what happens. Someone will give you a job. Just make sure you have all the proper, legal paperwork. I cannot tell you how much better it is to be legal than not. The only thing I worry about these days is whether the photo of my passport I carry on my phone will suffice if I'm ever asked to produce the original. It's not something I lose sleep over though.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A scanned copy of the passport on the phone is a pretty good idea actually. Going to do that myself. Might also be useful to scan and copy the residence permit to your phone as well.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's my understanding that a copy of your cv/resume will be
included in your work permit and fec applications. but the copy
they receive will not be the one you sent. they require it in chinese.
your school will translate it for you, adding and subtracting and
fudging as necessary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: