Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any views on the American University in Suliminaya?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anniebelle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Any views on the American University in Suliminaya? Reply with quote

There's a recent posting for a position here and I haven't been able to find anything on it through my searches - does anyone have any knowledge of this institution (reputation, pay, etc.)?
Thanks
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a number of threads on this place both here and other places on the web. You probably need to vary the spelling of Sulemaniya... as your spelling is not a usual choice.

VS
anniebelle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding; I tried the spelling you suggest; in fact I'd already tried a few spellings, including the one in the original posting, which was "Sulaimani", one I'd never heard of. Nothing...thus my query. Now the only thing that comes up is my own post. I tried googling as well and just got the story about the one guy who was disgruntled. I'd hoped there might be someone on here who'd had personal experience. Actually, I've been finding the search function here not very responsive lately - often I just get a white screen
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the common problem of transliterating Arabic into English. Things can be spelled a dozen different ways.

All I can say about the place is that what has been posted about it has been pretty consistently negative. This place was created by politics... and political US money given to cronies, not professional educators. How much this factor is currently affecting its managements is unknown. The pay is not stellar by any means, and only you can decide if it is worth a try for a year or two... just for the experience. Laughing

They key is likely low expectations. I have had a few Kurdish students in the past and they were lovely and hard working. They want an education to be able to get a decent job, unlike the average Gulf student.

VS
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... I just noticed that you are posting this in the Kuwait forum... I read it as the AU in Iraq... which is in Sulimania, Iraq.

Are you referring the "American University of Kuwait"? It is located in Salmiya which is a neighborhood in Kuwait, but it has nothing to do with its name.

If so, you need to put AUK in the search box.

It has a good reputation if that is the one that you are asking about. It really helps to have the proper name of an institution to find any information.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: