Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To the interest of those teaching in Oman
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Expat101

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Steakinator wrote:

Well, this is part of the official version in the Sira, though many of the first Muslims were "lettered" (Abu Sarh was Muhammed's first scribe and then later apostated, it's his story that Rushdie bases the character of the scribe in the 'The Satanic Verses')
Thanks for such a lengthy discussion. I had to go and do a little research about Abu Sarh. I couldn't find anything claiming that he was the first scribe. I only found that he was one amongst 42 of them. I also found this
Quote:
He apostatized but the reason stated in many accounts (i.e. verse 23:12) is not consistent because it goes against many established reports in the cUl�m al-Qur'�n. He returned to Islam and was a good Muslim.

Here's the link: http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Quran/Sources/Sarh/

Quote:
According to Ab� Omar, "cAbdull�h Ibn S�d Ibn Ab� Sarh converted back to Islam during the conquest of Mecca and his Islam was fine, and later, his behavior was beyond reproach. He was among the wise and the noble from Quraysh, and was the knight of Ban� 'Aamir Ibn Lu'ayy was respected among them.
Based on this information, I think he was respected and revered. So teachers indeed earned their respect in history and well into this modern age. We are teaching a different language, but the principles are mainly the same.
Duffy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh but you people are so boring.

Get a life!!!!!!
FarGone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffy wrote:
Oh but you people are so boring.

Get a life!!!!!!

I know. This "five times a day to Allah!"-thing is quite boring.

What do you advise, as relief to such a practice?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Duffy!! Hope you had a good summer. Isn't it comforting to know that little has changed here? Cool

VS
The Steakinator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expat101 wrote:
The Steakinator wrote:

Well, this is part of the official version in the Sira, though many of the first Muslims were "lettered" (Abu Sarh was Muhammed's first scribe and then later apostated, it's his story that Rushdie bases the character of the scribe in the 'The Satanic Verses')
Thanks for such a lengthy discussion. I had to go and do a little research about Abu Sarh. I couldn't find anything claiming that he was the first scribe. I only found that he was one amongst 42 of them. I also found this
Quote:
He apostatized but the reason stated in many accounts (i.e. verse 23:12) is not consistent because it goes against many established reports in the cUl�m al-Qur'�n. He returned to Islam and was a good Muslim.

Here's the link: http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Quran/Sources/Sarh/

Quote:
According to Ab� Omar, "cAbdull�h Ibn S�d Ibn Ab� Sarh converted back to Islam during the conquest of Mecca and his Islam was fine, and later, his behavior was beyond reproach. He was among the wise and the noble from Quraysh, and was the knight of Ban� 'Aamir Ibn Lu'ayy was respected among them.
Based on this information, I think he was respected and revered. So teachers indeed earned their respect in history and well into this modern age. We are teaching a different language, but the principles are mainly the same.

I can't recall where I read he was the first, but he was definitely the first prominent one. But yes, he is recorded to have re-"reverted" upon Muhammed's conquest of Mecca - then again...a lot of people "reverted" (i.e. converted) when he came into Mecca. Due to their being a centralized authority early on within Islam (the Khalifa), the possibility of re-engineering history is much more possible/probable than movements that spread organically (and are thus usually decentralized) for several centuries before centralized authority is imposed/structured.
Geronimo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Johnslat,

During my time as a teacher in an Omani College of Applied Sciences
I crossed paths with a few jokers, too. Though, sadly, none of them were quite as impressive as Heath Ledger,
who won a posthumous Oscar, of course; nor even Jack Nicholson.
Anyway, whether these jokers were respected or not -automatically or manually - wasn't my key concern at that time.

I was more concerned about the challenges confronted by the majority of my colleagues, who were applying themselves
-in what appeared to my eyes, at least- to be a professional, non-jokerly manner to their tasks.
(Even though, to be honest, I did enjoy gossiping about the jokers' latest exploits as well.)

As an adherent of the view that "Learning is more important
than teaching", I was more concerned about the increasing numbers
of predominantly male Omani students who were arriving at the College gate
without learning goals which bore meaning for them at a personal level.
They were simply there for the craic.

More generally, though, I do believe that, as EFL teachers, we should take more time out to show our respect -
and display our admiration - for those colleagues
who do excel and show leadership in the field.

These days the British Council has its ELTons...
http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-eltons.htm
Is there any American ELT equivalent?

Maybe Dave Sperling could add on an extension to this eslcafe...
if not a "Hall of Fame" , how about an "Alcove of Achievement"?!
After all, not all of us TEFLers fall asleep in our own vomit;
(well, at least not every night).

What do you reckon, eh?

Kind regards,

Geronimo
Geronimo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried my best to make it interesting, Duffy.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Geronimo,

While I agree with you completely regarding learning being more important than teaching (although I suspect there may be a correlation rather than a dichotomy involved there) that really wasn't one of the topics under discussion on this thread (until you brought it up Very Happy.)

Personally, having had both ESL/EFL colleagues and "regular teacher" colleagues, in my experience the EFL/ESL teachers tend to be better: more committed to their students, likely to spend more of their own time (and money) in order to do their job well, more apt to try "non-traditional" techniques, etc.

Also, in my experience, the number of "jokers" in ESL/EFL has been less than among "regular" public school teachers.

So, I'm all in favor of giving respect and admiration to those ESL/ELFL teachers who do excel and show leadership.

As far as I know, though, there is, unfortunately, no American equivalent to the ELTons.

Regards,
John
posh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expat101 wrote:
posh wrote:
In Saudi I often think 'what these guys really need is a good dose of Buddhism' and at least a semester's worth of how to be honest.

Rolling Eyes Buddhism and honesty don't belong in the same sentence. And what has this got to do with Oman anyway? With as many 'teachers' running around the world using fake credentials, this may be a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

If you think so highly of Buddhism, don't you think it's time to get out of the Middle East and work in a Buddhist country full of oh so honest people? Rolling Eyes

Doh! Which one are you? Jim Carrey or Jeff Daniels?
Expat101

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

posh wrote:
Expat101 wrote:
posh wrote:
In Saudi I often think 'what these guys really need is a good dose of Buddhism' and at least a semester's worth of how to be honest.

Rolling Eyes Buddhism and honesty don't belong in the same sentence. And what has this got to do with Oman anyway? With as many 'teachers' running around the world using fake credentials, this may be a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

If you think so highly of Buddhism, don't you think it's time to get out of the Middle East and work in a Buddhist country full of oh so honest people? Rolling Eyes

Doh! Which one are you? Jim Carrey or Jeff Daniels?

What a stupid response. If I were Jim Carrey or Jeff Daniels, I would be too smart, too talented and too rich to care about posting on this forum! Duh!
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Dumb - and getting Dumber.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: