Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interviews

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iggyb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Interviews Reply with quote

I often have no idea how I've done in interviews - whether in person or especially over the phone or internet.

Just finished a phone interview with the College of Technology in Salalah.

It's been about my 4th phone interview. They sure seem short.

Had an interview in person in Chicago for a job in the ME, and couldn't tell how it was going right up to the point they told me I was accepted and handed me an initial committment to sign.

I like ending an interview like that: Either a definate yes or a definate no.

I've done interview in the U.S. this year where the people doing the interview did most of the talking. I hardly got a word in edgewise. I thought that was a good sign - that they were really interested in my qualifications. Didn't get any of those jobs...

Left a couple of interviews feeling I had stunk or didn't click with the people. Left a couple thinking I had done well. No job offer. 1 of the people in one sent me a nice letter telliing me I had done a good interview but they went with someone else. It was a job where my teaching experience and background should have put me ahead of most people.

I get the feeling in most interviews - regardless of the job - they already have someone in mind they want to hire and are just going through the motions in most of them. Trying to get you in and out the door.

I know from talking to some people in the US who do hiring that that is the case with them. They have a set number of people they must interview in order to avoid being sued even if they have had someone lined up they wanted for the position for weeks.

Who knows...

I've taught ESL for over 8 years. To all ages and skill levels. Most of it overseas. I have a southern accent (US), but students overseas or where I live in the US don't know that, and I've never had a problem teaching.

In person, I'm not overweight or hump backed or particularly repulisive to look at.

I've been successful in landing jobs in the past with face to face interviews.

It's been rather dry this year....
Yusuf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salalah's my first choice of locations... any idea what COT's requirements are? I've got an MA TESL + 5 years with all ages (4 in Korea), but no post-MA experience yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: