Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering moving to the UAE - savings and experience?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2buckets

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Keep Writing
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rossc wrote:
One final question, a bit of the topic but it is relevant for me. For people who have worked in Oman and the UAE, how do the locals perceive the police. I ask as before teaching I was a police officer for seven years in the UK and I was wondering whether that should be something I should try avoid when talking about my work history.

Good question... and I haven't really thought about it. In the Middle East, the police are more of a branch of the military. In a place like the UAE, when I first arrived in the early 90s, most of the police (and soldiers) were actually Omani... ie expats in a way... although there are tribal/family connections across the borders of the two countries. I assume that this is not longer true and the poorer Emiratis have filled these positions. Thus a lower social status to the average Emirati. Wasta or family and connections nearly always trumps a crime, so few Emiratis get punished and the expat (us) is always at fault.

In Oman, the police/military are all Omani and there is a bit more respect towards the job since many, if not most, tribes will have members in one of these. In Oman, there is a more equal punishment system... fewer people with the wasta to get out of things.

I think that I would hold off telling them until you have tested their attitudes a bit and developed a rapport with the classes.

VS
rossc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gentlemen (and gentlewoman),

Thanks for all the advice, it's all been a great help and I feel very clear with my direction and what I need to do. Your advice and comments have been of immense help.

I did have one final question in regards to looking for jobs. I understand the TESOL Arabia fair is the place to be but unless I end out in Oman first (to get relevant experience) I don't think that's a option. For recruitment in the UAE it seems there are no recruiters like in Oman, so it seems that I should apply direct to the universities? Is that correct?

Who are the largest employers that would be good places to start with to get on the ladder? I know of HCT (and the problems), any other places good to look for UAE starters? Furthermore, what's the main sites that jobs are posted on and when do they begin posting for the September jobs?

Regards
Ross
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rossc wrote:
For recruitment in the UAE it seems there are no recruiters like in Oman, so it seems that I should apply direct to the universities? Is that correct?

You are correct. All have websites that you apply through...

The top university level jobs are AUSharjah, HCT, Zayed U, and UAEU.

VS
rossc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the September semester, when would the jobs begin to be advertised on the universities' websites?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Positions are posted as they open... just keep clicking. Cool I'd start watching them regularly in Dec/Jan for the next Aug/Sept start.

VS
Geronimo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello rossc,

There has been a major shift in the Higher Educational policy
in Abu Dhabi. As a result, there has been a massive upsurge
in the numbers of Emiratis signing up for vocational courses
run by Adveti recently...
and the HCT student numbers are down.

The following articles in "TheNational" supply the statistics
on student numbers...

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/education/hundreds-of-emiratis-sign-up-for-vocational-courses-in-abu-dhabi

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/education/thousands-turn-up-at-abu-dhabi-vocational-college

and,

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/education/hundreds-of-uae-students-turned-down-for-places-at-university

One consequence is that more English teachers are now being recruited
by Adveti...
http://adveti.abudhabi.ae/about-us/careers/

Geronimo
rossc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for information Geronimo.

I'll keep an eye out on those vacancies, especially for next September 2013.

They said nothing about all the experience having to be post-MA which would be helpful for me.

Anyone know of anyone with experiences at Adveti?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you done a search here? It is new and as is usual that means a spotty rocky start. It started out with stellar pay for its first handful of teachers, but they soon figured out that they could still get teachers on the cheap. One of the negatives seems to be its ties to Kaplan (or Krapland, as its 'admirers' call it)

Hopefully some current teachers might be around here...

VS
rossc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason the searches on Dave's never work for me, but I did scroll through the history and found some posts. Someone also pm'd so that was helpful.
iggyb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a google search using your key phrase then site:http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/
Mushakil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: The new foundation programs for the vocational schools Reply with quote

It is true there is a massive recruitment for the vocational schools and they are all working together to get this done.

While the salary is not spectacular you can keep your housing allowance if you opt to stay in cheaper housing. I read in the Gulf News that more housing is being built in Abu Dhabi so the market will continue to go down, translating in more savings on the housing front.

While all new government programs are full of areas that need work and are transient, they are good opportunities to make money and gain experience. It requires the ability to tolerate ambiguity.

Many of these new jobs are based in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, one of the richest states in the world. It is a very beautiful city with a strategic 30 year plan and has a thriving expat community just like Dubai. Abu Dhabi is much cleaner and organized than Dubai. It has all the comforts like Starbucks, Mugg and Bean, Bebe and Sushi

So there is potential for serious savings if you are financially savvy. For example, if you get 100,000 AED for you housing allowance and you can find an apartment on dubizzle.com for 55,000 than you can save an additional $12,000 USD from your housing allowance. Not a bad idea.

However, you will have to work a lot more in these posts, expect anywhere from 5-7 hours a day teaching.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The new foundation programs for the vocational schools Reply with quote

Mushakil wrote:
However, you will have to work a lot more in these posts, expect anywhere from 5-7 hours a day teaching.

Are you saying 25-35 CONTACT hours? Are any of those paid at overtime? If not, this is abusive IMHO... like those awful language school teaching mills.

VS
helenl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the more desirable employers are also savvy to the housing allowance "schemes". They will insist they pay the landlord directly thereby cutting out you as the middleman.

I would suspect the Dubaites would argue about your opinion of Abu Dhabi.

I don't care, mainly because I'm not interested in coffee shops or shopping in general. I like Sharjah, RAK, UAQ and Fujairah
Mushakil

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Contact Hours Reply with quote

I think the contact hours caps off at 28, no you are not paid overtime.

At the moment though, this is the only opportunity that I know of where you can keep the difference in housing.

If you have family though there is a new rule where the rental contract needs to be attested by the municipality. This means you cannot sponsor your family if you are in "illegal" housing which consists of the owner paying for the electricity bill. It is causing a lot of problems for expats at the moment as the new cities of MBZ and Khalifa A are sprawling with new developments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: