Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering moving to the UAE - savings and experience?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is "illegal" for the landlord to pay the electric??? Anyone have a theory concerning why that is a problem for the government? Yes, it would be odd and seldom seen... but so? Is it because this would mean that you are only renting a room in another flat and thus don't really have your family with you at all?

VS
Mushakil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Utilities Reply with quote

Owners are cutting up villas into apartments, and government is deeming them illegal.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: A very fluid ruling Reply with quote

The entire process has undergone some changes and tweaking:

Starting June 7, 2012, when a utility bill and land-line were required to renew a visa:
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/visa/rules-change-for-residency-renewal-in-abu-dhabi-official-says-1.1032584

"Residents of Abu Dhabi who wish to renew their residency permits are obliged to submit a valid tenancy agreement in addition to their recent residency�s utility bill. The resident should also list the landline phone number of his or her residence at the time of application."

I would say that you should check with your employer as to the most current ruling when renewing or negotiating a lease.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One is required to have a land-line? Sounds like the Sheikhs who own the phone company have specially high wasta. I wonder how many current teachers have a land line...

Definitely check with your employer on this... of course most education employers do all of the visa renewals for their teachers. In all of my years in the Gulf, I was never involved with anything related to my visa renewal other than handing over the passport and/or card.

VS
genericusername

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience was it was very hard to save money and that is on a six figure income (USD). There us just so much to do and so much to buy there. If I had been frugal, I could have save at least 30-40k but there was always something to do or some need back home. You must go into it predetermined to put money away as soon as you are paid. That is what I am planning to do at my new job in KSA.
bin There

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I save close to $40,000 a year and that isn't being so frugal - 2 overseas trips a year, nearly the top Internet package, own 4WD, the ocasional stay at a 5-star hotel...

I think you'd need to eat at 5-star hotels several times a week, shop at Louis Vuitton, and holiday in the Galapagos Islands and Bahamas for it to be hard to save anything less than $20,000 a year.

generic - You must have a house full of expensive goodies:-)
genericusername

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truth is my job ended early due to a situation beyond my control, and I was just at a point to start saving when that happened. I would only go for a furnished apartment or buy cheap used stuff.

My point is to do what Warren Buffet says, "pay yourself first."
Gulezar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Pay yourself Reply with quote

genericusername wrote:
The truth is my job ended early due to a situation beyond my control, and I was just at a point to start saving when that happened. I would only go for a furnished apartment or buy cheap used stuff.

It is easy to get sucked into the UAE lifestyle. Perhaps doing a gig in KSA gives one an appreciation for the simple things in life ... a walk on the cornich unaccompanied and not being propositioned, a swim in a pool, shopping without the daggers of distrust from the locals. The UAE has its charm and simply fabulous shopping, but it all becomes a used item on dubizzle at some point. One can save and enjoy the UAE, but remember to keep your assets liquid, because at some point we all leave the UAE, one way or another, and those off-shore accounts are about the only thing you will really want to take back home with you.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are those well-priced carpets. Laughing I don't know if the US is outlawing them these days, but I managed to get the maximum back home that they allowed at that time.

That is basically all I schlepped out... and about all I found interesting in the shopping there. (ok... and a bit of gold jewelry)

VS
genericusername

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my carpets over 20 years ago and actually brought them TO Dubai.

There is always something to spend money on in Dubai, so just get an off-shore account and deposit a set amount as soon as you get your paycheck.
genericusername

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gulezar, KSA is our next stop. Luckily, I found a job that, not counting the housing allowance, pays the same as I made in UAE, so I expect to save at least 50-60k /yr there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: