Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA or other cert for Vietnam
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deadlift

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattingly wrote:
Thank you for the information, derkadan

Is there a fly-in observation of your class by a Cambridge rep?

Or, under this online DELTA is it all on your own with no observations?

Module two is the practical module. It requires you to have a "local tutor" to do the ongoing assessments. This does not mean a Cambridge or IH employee, but rather a teacher with sufficient experience and quals. Most of the more respectable schools would have someone eligible.

The final assessment is done by a Cambridge assessor, and you will need to pay travel and accommodation expenses for them if they are not in your location already. If I recall correctly, my colleague had someone come down from Ha Noi to do theirs.
kurtz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattingly wrote:

You have to fly to a centre and get input sessions and teacher practice for two weeks and then have a Local Tutor from your school (must be approved by Cambridge ESOL).

Do you have trust in the senior people at your work? I haven't met the CELTA trainer, I hope he/she is OK as there is no way I'd let my DOS be my Local Tutor.

http://thedistancedelta.com/courses/programmes/m2.aspx
Dekadan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:
Thanks very much, Dekadan.

My mill might pay for half if I give them my word I'll be working for them for several years.....not quite sure if I want to do that. Not keen on doing it full-time so I'll have to put some more thought into when I'll do it.

Are there any reading texts you recommend in terms of different methodologies used in EFL or any for general teaching that can get me started as pre-reading for module one? I can use google but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

How many years did you have up your sleeve before you started the DELTA?

Thanks!

What about negotiating an incentive system with your mill? Or even better, get them to take care of a portion of the cost and an incentive where they continue to give you extra money for having done it while under their employ. You are working your butt off to work full-time for them and you're striving to be a better teacher that they'll continue to benefit from after you're done. One thing I learned from Viet Nam was negotiating is key! If I were you, I'd be aiming for getting pay for some up-front, getting a yearly rebate and a pay bump. I knew someone that at ILA had finished one part of the Delta and was up to their highest pay scale.

I had a little over two years post-CELTA before tackling the Delta (I believe that it's lower case, there's less emphasis on the "adult" which the last A used to stand for. Young Learner focused teachers are included now). That's a little over the suggested minimum experience. Many other teachers taking it had significantly more, some 10 to 15 years in the field. There are pros and cons to my relative inexperience: I didn't know as much of the terminology as the others, but perhaps I was more adaptable and less "set in my ways". Personally, I'd have preferred to be more experienced!

Thornbury is one of the big names. He's got a few books out. Many like An A-Z of ELT (deals with terminology and teaching approaches. I know many teachers that keep it as a general reference), as well as About Language, and Beyond the Sentence. If you want to read someone who breaks from the norm and is somewhat inflammatory, you should check out Michael Lewis.
Dekadan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still pretty new to quoting people, and I didn't expect so much interest when I ducked my head into this thread!

Quote:

Mattingly wrote:

deadlift wrote:
Module two is the practical module. It requires you to have a "local tutor" to do the ongoing assessments. This does not mean a Cambridge or IH employee, but rather a teacher with sufficient experience and quals. Most of the more respectable schools would have someone eligible.

The final assessment is done by a Cambridge assessor, and you will need to pay travel and accommodation expenses for them if they are not in your location already. If I recall correctly, my colleague had someone come down from Ha Noi to do theirs.

deadlift is correct. I'm not currently taking Module 2, sorry if I misled on that one. The start-up conflicted with plans that I didn't want to change. I have a friend currently taking it, however. As deadlift said, your tutor would need to be an experienced teacher with some qualifications such as the Delta or a related Masters. I believe a CELTA tutor would need to have a Delta before becoming a tutor, so he/she should be able to do it. There is indeed an assessor that you would need to fly in and take care of in addition to the course fees.

Kurtz also talked about the orientation session, which can be avoided with Bell and Norwich. Depends on how necessary you think that session is. Deadlift, did your friend do that session? What did he/she think of it, do you know?
deadlift

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My colleague did the orientation for module two in KL. I don't think he had any complaints, but we haven't spoken about it in much detail. I'm not sure if the school chipped in for travel costs or time off, but I think it may be something that they contribute to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: