Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

100TL cell phone fee??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NurC

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: 100TL cell phone fee?? Reply with quote

A Turkish friend told me today that a new law requires foreigners entering Turkey to be assessed a 100TL fee for their cell phone. Has anyone heard anything like this? I cannot find any information about it online.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine you'll find out when you try to register your phone. Generally, when the Turks change laws, they don't communicate them very well; not even the American consulates know until they start getting complaints.

~Q
JonathanRossWC

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey NurC,

I am currently on vacation in Istanbul. I arrived at the airport on May 14, and proceeded to get a SIM card for my existing cell phone (I brought an old Blackberry over from the USA) and registered my phone. The registration cost me 10 (ten) TL...not 100. I don't know if the new law has been implemented since May 14, but I think the fee is probably still 10 TL.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Englishteach

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a short time your phone will be shut off.. they do not tell visitors about the new registration rules.. who knows why.. this article is in the news today..

http://www.todayszaman.com/news-288908-cellular-blues-problems-with-the-cell-phone-registration-law.html
queenfrog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do everything by the book then this is what I did. Just so we are clear, there is no way to register at the airport.

I went to my muhtar office and got a paper stating my address. I took that to the vergi office with my passport and paid a fee of 100 TL and got a paper from them. This paper should have the IMEI number that belongs to the phone and your name on it. Since my phone was brand new, I gave them the original receipt to get this number but it can also be obtained by pressing *#06# on your cell phone.

I then took my passport, the tax paper, the muhtar paper and my original receipt to the cell phone shop. I went to the girl in charge and she photocopied these papers, typed something into a computer and printed off a paper stating that the phone is registered. I already had a Turkish SIM card so I did not need to purchase a new one. The cost was 5TL to do this. If you do not have a Turkish SIM card then you will have to purchase one.

You can check the status of your phone by going to the following website: http://imei.tk.gov.tr/tr/imeisorgu.php . Enter your IMEI number and the characters present in the shaded box. If your phone is correctly registered then it should say something like the following: Durumu : IMEI numarası abone kayıt merkezince ge�ici olarak kayıt altına alınmış olup Kurum tarafından evrakları kontrol aşamasındadır .
All of this should be done within 30 days of entering Turkey. Only one cell phone can be registered under your passport each year. If your phone is stolen you can use this registration info to get your phone blocked and it cannot be used even if another SIM card is put in it�so keep your paperwork.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

queenfrog wrote:
If you want to do everything by the book then this is what I did. Just so we are clear, there is no way to register at the airport.

I went to my muhtar office and got a paper stating my address. I took that to the vergi office with my passport and paid a fee of 100 TL and got a paper from them. This paper should have the IMEI number that belongs to the phone and your name on it. Since my phone was brand new, I gave them the original receipt to get this number but it can also be obtained by pressing *#06# on your cell phone.

I then took my passport, the tax paper, the muhtar paper and my original receipt to the cell phone shop. I went to the girl in charge and she photocopied these papers, typed something into a computer and printed off a paper stating that the phone is registered. I already had a Turkish SIM card so I did not need to purchase a new one. The cost was 5TL to do this. If you do not have a Turkish SIM card then you will have to purchase one.

You can check the status of your phone by going to the following website: http://imei.tk.gov.tr/tr/imeisorgu.php . Enter your IMEI number and the characters present in the shaded box. If your phone is correctly registered then it should say something like the following: Durumu : IMEI numarası abone kayıt merkezince ge�ici olarak kayıt altına alınmış olup Kurum tarafından evrakları kontrol aşamasındadır .
All of this should be done within 30 days of entering Turkey. Only one cell phone can be registered under your passport each year. If your phone is stolen you can use this registration info to get your phone blocked and it cannot be used even if another SIM card is put in it�so keep your paperwork.

When I registered my phone (last September or October) Avea took the paper I needed to get it unblocked from me, didn't give me a copy (told me I wouldn't need it), and didn't give me any other sort of paper. This might explain why I'm finding it so hard to switch to Vodafone now that I've found Avea is in general even sleazier than Turkcell.

~Q
scb222

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: register imei number Reply with quote

you must register your imei number on arrival, well at least when i came a few years back you could do it at the airport. perhaps now you can do it when you purchase a sim? no-one told me about it, so after i had bought a sim my phone worked fine, but a week or so later it stopped working. then i went back to the airport to get registration papers for it - so ridic!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: